Schooling?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SHiBBY, Feb 18, 2011.

  1. SHiBBY

    SHiBBY DIY Guru

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2010
    Messages:
    639
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Glenwood, Cape Town
    Hey guys,

    Right to the point: My newly revamped tank will play host to small, schooling fish. This question may be silly, but what fish should I be looking at for the best schooling?

    I've looked at Tetras, but I'd like to have some variety...
     
  2. Guest




  3. Donny

    Donny

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2009
    Messages:
    2,283
    Likes Received:
    22
    Location:
    Churchill Estate, Parow
    What size is the tank ?
     
  4. shihr

    shihr Glosso

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2010
    Messages:
    1,838
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    JHB
    definately the rasbora harlequins
     
  5. shihr

    shihr Glosso

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2010
    Messages:
    1,838
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    JHB
    oh and rummy nose tetras
     
  6. OP
    SHiBBY

    SHiBBY DIY Guru

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2010
    Messages:
    639
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Glenwood, Cape Town
    It's a 1.2m 250L tank
     
  7. Donny

    Donny

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2009
    Messages:
    2,283
    Likes Received:
    22
    Location:
    Churchill Estate, Parow
    Is the hieght and width 45cm ?
     
  8. Go-Big

    Go-Big

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2010
    Messages:
    737
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    George
    Rummy noses and tiger barbs are very good schoolers. Red eyes aswell but a bit boring looking fish.

    Ok Shihr beet me to the rummies.
     
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  9. OP
    SHiBBY

    SHiBBY DIY Guru

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2010
    Messages:
    639
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Glenwood, Cape Town
    Yup more or less.

    I like Tetra, Rasbora and Danio... those are all roughly the size I'm going for.
     
  10. Donny

    Donny

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2009
    Messages:
    2,283
    Likes Received:
    22
    Location:
    Churchill Estate, Parow
    Ok considering you want smaller fish the silver dollar suggestion i would have given is out of the window :).....
     
  11. OP
    SHiBBY

    SHiBBY DIY Guru

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2010
    Messages:
    639
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Glenwood, Cape Town
    Ooooh don't tempt me... I love silver dollars. But I also love plants and other tankmates which shall remain anonymous. Both of these will become food.
     
  12. Donny

    Donny

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2009
    Messages:
    2,283
    Likes Received:
    22
    Location:
    Churchill Estate, Parow
    A school of about 6 dollars and 6 clown loaches :) :)
     
  13. OP
    SHiBBY

    SHiBBY DIY Guru

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2010
    Messages:
    639
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Glenwood, Cape Town
    The size is the issue...

    That being said, I saw a VERY nice arowana at the LPS yesterday... Hmmm ; )
     
  14. mxz

    mxz

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2010
    Messages:
    508
    Likes Received:
    35
    Location:
    Cape Town
    The arowana will not fit in a 1.2m tank. Avoid temptation.
     
  15. Donny

    Donny

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2009
    Messages:
    2,283
    Likes Received:
    22
    Location:
    Churchill Estate, Parow
    LOL from a school to a single fish LOL ,,,, sounds like you need to get a 1.2 for a school or fish and a 1.2 for the arrow.
     
  16. OP
    SHiBBY

    SHiBBY DIY Guru

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2010
    Messages:
    639
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Glenwood, Cape Town
    Well, since my big(ger) fish all passed away in a matter of days, I've decided that I'll rather populate with hordes of the smallest possible fish the next time around...
     
  17. boebie

    boebie

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2009
    Messages:
    480
    Likes Received:
    8
    Location:
    Cape Town
    You could do a biotope tank with harlequins and danios
     
  18. Go-Big

    Go-Big

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2010
    Messages:
    737
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    George
    still to small for the arrow. 2.1 sounds better.
     
  19. Skaapietjie

    Skaapietjie

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2010
    Messages:
    151
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Newcastle
    i would also recommnd tiger barbs , you can add green tiger barbs with them and the normal tiger barbs and green tiger barbs will school together.. BUT!!: make sure you keep as many as possable , as they tend to be aggresive and would destroy your tank.. If there is enough of them though , they take out the aggression within the school.. Enjoy
     
  20. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    Also bear in mind that if fish are relazed in your tank, they stop schooling.

    I bought 20 Tetras (X-Ray) and 20 Neons with the intention of having 2 schools... as the fish settled down they stopped schooling, and only school when I do maintenance.
     
  21. OP
    SHiBBY

    SHiBBY DIY Guru

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2010
    Messages:
    639
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Glenwood, Cape Town
    Ah, there's the fine print :-( Guess I'll have 20 tetras, 20 danios, and one silver dollar :)
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Schooling Forum Date
Cory Schooling General Discussions Jan 19, 2021
10 Neons for R110 and more schooling fish specials this weekend only Pet Lovers Emporium Aug 12, 2017
Which of these schooling fish? Community Tanks May 26, 2017
Fishes missing out on schooling General Fish Discussions Dec 12, 2016
Hardy schooling fish Community Tanks Jun 6, 2016
Schooling fish promotion Pet Stop May 5, 2015
Community Schooling Fish Community Tanks Feb 17, 2014

Share This Page