Scarlet Gem - Anyone have any experience with these fish?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Dinky, Aug 19, 2013.

  1. Dinky

    Dinky

    Joined:
    May 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,685
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Hallo!

    I am looking to get myself a pair of Scarlet Gem.

    Anyone with some experience keeping these fish that can tell me what I will be getting myself into?

    Would really appreciate!
     
  2. Guest




  3. dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban
    Ask @altim
     
  4. dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  5. OP
    Dinky

    Dinky

    Joined:
    May 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,685
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Tx @dash, will do!

    @Altum

    I would really appreciate your input on keeping these fish. My tx in advance!
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  6. Sean J

    Sean J

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Messages:
    3,835
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Randburg JHB
    Scarlet Gem? Badis?

    If so, yeah, I've kept them. They're quite nasty for such little fish. They're hunters, and they do best on live foods.

    They're stunning little fish though. If you can find some, but at least 6, so you may get a pair and then breed them.
     
  7. PsyXe

    PsyXe

    Joined:
    May 16, 2012
    Messages:
    891
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    PTA
    Mine never ate anything but live foods. It's seemingly really hard to get females, so if you find one grab it (they will be very dull looking, not red at all). Gorgeous little fish, lots of personality, just like mini cichlids. They like planting that divides the tank up into separate territories.
     
  8. oscar freak

    oscar freak

    Joined:
    May 5, 2010
    Messages:
    3,655
    Likes Received:
    56
    Location:
    Kensington Jhb
    any pics?never heard of these.
     
  9. OP
    Dinky

    Dinky

    Joined:
    May 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,685
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate! Here's hoping to keep mine alive, happy and breeding once I receive them!

    @oscar freak

    They would make nice little snacks for your oscars! Here's a photo of a male, the females are colourless. They grow to a full 20mm! Females even less!

    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  10. oscar freak

    oscar freak

    Joined:
    May 5, 2010
    Messages:
    3,655
    Likes Received:
    56
    Location:
    Kensington Jhb
    pretty little fish,thats an old pic lil kim is long since departed.
     
  11. OP
    Dinky

    Dinky

    Joined:
    May 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,685
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    @PsyXe and @Sean J

    Hallo! Hope you're doing well.

    I just want to find out what live food you fed your badis.

    I've set up cultures for micro, banana and walter worms as well as infusoria - just want to make sure I'm on the right track.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  12. Ryno

    Ryno Kenaal baber

    Joined:
    May 19, 2012
    Messages:
    4,022
    Likes Received:
    50
    Location:
    Pretoria
    i also fed mine bbs but afger a while didnt even feed them any more. was in a matured tank with lots of moss. they love moss. they will feed on small organisms in the tank also. now they live hapily in the Dorry tank
     
  13. OP
    Dinky

    Dinky

    Joined:
    May 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,685
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    @Ryno

    :bigsmile: Happy to hear from you! Finally got my Badis! Yippeee! Kept dreaming about them since the first time I saw them in your tank.

    Tx for the advice, I really appreciate. Will add some more moss for them. I noticed they are always picking at the bottom and they seem to be in a good condition.

    How's your Marine setup coming along? I wouldn't want to miss out on seeing what you're up to!
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  14. Zuraki

    Zuraki

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2010
    Messages:
    353
    Likes Received:
    198
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Hey @Dinky those fish look beautiful! Can you maybe share some pictures? - Never mind I saw your other thread - they look fantastic, congrats!
     
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  15. OP
    Dinky

    Dinky

    Joined:
    May 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,685
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Tx @Zuraki

    I've posted another thread - My Scarlet Badis. First photos I managed to get of them. They are still a bit camera shy but doing well.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  16. PsyXe

    PsyXe

    Joined:
    May 16, 2012
    Messages:
    891
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    PTA
    Hello! I gave them mosquito larvae, I swear by them and feed them to all my fish. I wonder if the foods you have might be on the small side? I would think of them as being used for feeding fry rather than adult fish. Let me know if yours eat the micro worms etc, I'd be interested in knowing.
     
  17. OP
    Dinky

    Dinky

    Joined:
    May 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,685
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    @PsyXe

    The Badis, Galaxy Rasbora and Threadfin Rainbows are enjoying the worms. They can't devour them fast enough. Haven't tried it in any of the tanks with bigger fish though.

    I will definitely see if I can get some mosquito larvae going.

    I bought a Marine Sextet the other day and it had these red egg-like substance that I presume must me the fish roe, my fish loved that to bits. All of them. Artemia's not going down well with most my fish except for the threadfins so I'm not sure if I should attempt setting up live cultures.

    Their best treat across my range of fish when it comes to frozen seems to be the eggs and garlic bloodworms. They love that to bits. I've had a better response from my fish on the marine sextet compared to a tropical range.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  18. PsyXe

    PsyXe

    Joined:
    May 16, 2012
    Messages:
    891
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    PTA
    Hehe, I'm going to have to try harder. My Galaxies didn't recognise them as food, neither did any of my other fish, even the small ones.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Scarlet Anyone experience Forum Date
Wanted: Looking for female Scarlett badis Wanted/Swop/Freebies Sep 28, 2024
Wanted: Scarlet badis females Wanted/Swop/Freebies Mar 3, 2024
Dario Dario-scarlet badis Asia Sep 12, 2021
Dario Dario/scarlet badis General Fish Discussions Oct 17, 2020
RSS Feed Scarlet Badis (Dario dario) Care Sheet RSS Feeds Jun 14, 2020
Wanted: Scarlet badis - Dario dario Wanted/Swop/Freebies Dec 1, 2019
Wanted: Scarlet Gem Badis, Ottos, Blue Eyed Gertrudes... Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jun 19, 2017

Share This Page