Rip my old friend Bulldozer

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Willem, May 2, 2013.

  1. Willem

    Willem High fin Pangasius

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Messages:
    755
    Likes Received:
    15
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Hi guys just need to tell you my monster friend un explainably died :sad2: lastnight. I still fed him yesterday morning and all was well.

    So goodbye my old friend hope you are happy in fishy heaven. :blink1:


    IMGP1670.jpg

    IMGP1670.jpg
     
    Last edited: May 2, 2013
  2. Guest




  3. Ryno

    Ryno Kenaal baber

    Joined:
    May 19, 2012
    Messages:
    4,022
    Likes Received:
    50
    Location:
    Pretoria
    ahw that sucks! he was huge.
     
  4. Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    I'm really sorry to hear that Willem. Terrible news.
     
  5. mxz

    mxz

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2010
    Messages:
    508
    Likes Received:
    35
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Sorry for your loss Willem.
     
  6. Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    I don't mean to sound callous but did you measure and weigh him?
     
  7. Good_Times

    Good_Times Kalahari Sandhaai

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2012
    Messages:
    928
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Upington
    Agg no man, I was looking forward to seeing him get huge in that pond. Did you do an autopsy?
     
  8. llewellynkearney

    llewellynkearney Llewellyn Kearney

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2012
    Messages:
    844
    Likes Received:
    67
    Location:
    Meyerton
    i'm very sorry to hear about your loss
     
  9. rednox

    rednox CA Cichlids

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,824
    Likes Received:
    151
    Location:
    JHB eastrand
    sorry for your loss
     
  10. Breado

    Breado

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2010
    Messages:
    705
    Likes Received:
    177
    Location:
    Edenvale, East Rand
    my deepest condolences my friend. its really sad to lose a pet that youve grown with.
     
  11. top dog

    top dog

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2012
    Messages:
    1,765
    Likes Received:
    888
    Location:
    JHB Greenstone
    hell man that sucks
    sorry for your loss
     
  12. OP
    Willem

    Willem High fin Pangasius

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Messages:
    755
    Likes Received:
    15
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Hi @Hawk yes I did it also shows you how the water can decieve you I always took the tape measure and tried to do it from the top and I always came out at just under a meter and in fact he was 770mm and weight 14.2 kilos.........lekker vet ne !!
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  13. oscar freak

    oscar freak

    Joined:
    May 5, 2010
    Messages:
    3,655
    Likes Received:
    56
    Location:
    Kensington Jhb
    sorry man,is he the one that off'd Mo?
     
  14. OP
    Willem

    Willem High fin Pangasius

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Messages:
    755
    Likes Received:
    15
    Location:
    Pretoria
    @oscar freak yes but not him alone the pangasius aswell
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  15. Good_Times

    Good_Times Kalahari Sandhaai

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2012
    Messages:
    928
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Upington
    So Willem do you have any idea's of what could have happened? Maybe he choked on one of the smaller fish.
     
  16. OP
    Willem

    Willem High fin Pangasius

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Messages:
    755
    Likes Received:
    15
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Hi Andries

    No there were no small fish in the tank, I found the fault this afternoon my heating system pump packed up and I couldn't see it cause it is a closed loop system I only picked it up this morning cause my one pangasius has white spot so I got my emergency heating in and medicated the water. I am trying to get the water up to 30deg but it is not so easy with the emergency system but he's allready looking better seems like the white stuff is peeling of so i'll go on with the meds and water changes. It just come to show you, you think that the redtail would be stronger in such circumstances but it seems like they are more sensitive than the others.

    Regards Willem
     
  17. Good_Times

    Good_Times Kalahari Sandhaai

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2012
    Messages:
    928
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Upington
    Yip that's strange, my indoor tanks are still sitting pretty at 25C without the heaters wouldn't have thought that he would die from that. Good luck with the white spot.
     
  18. OP
    Willem

    Willem High fin Pangasius

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Messages:
    755
    Likes Received:
    15
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Ja you see here close to me is a wetland and the temp here went down to -2 the one night and the pool is in the garage with no ceiling and there's no door to close to keep the heat in when I checked the temp it was at 12deg and got a fright thats when I realized what killed the red tail so I need to get a warning system in place for things like this. Or I need to close of or partition the garage so the pool is in its own room with a styrene ceiling so I can keep the room temp up. So what ever comes up first I'll do, but I think I am finished with adoptions at the moment.
     
  19. Good_Times

    Good_Times Kalahari Sandhaai

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2012
    Messages:
    928
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Upington
    Didn't realize the garage is open. Ja, insulasie sal baie help. You can also try and insulate the top of the pond with some of those thick see-through plastic they use for protecting table cloths etc. , or bubble wrap like Shawn mentioned in this post for when you are not feeding or viewing them. How is the solar water heater doing is it still getting enough sun to heat things up?
     
  20. OP
    Willem

    Willem High fin Pangasius

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Messages:
    755
    Likes Received:
    15
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Jip it's got an opening the size of two double doors, think I must take some plastic and cover it so it overlaps the canvis I have hanging in the front. It is the solar systems pump that gave in, I am realy thinking of giving up all the fish cause it's costing me alot of money that I don't have like the pump I can't replace it,and now I have five heaters running imagine what my electricity bill is going to look like,I just can't any more. :sad2:
     
    Last edited: May 5, 2013
  21. Good_Times

    Good_Times Kalahari Sandhaai

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2012
    Messages:
    928
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Upington
    Ai dis hartseer ek voel vir jou, but I understand heating that much water should cost a pretty penny. Can't you lower the temp of the heaters to 18C, the fish will just be more inactive and have less of an appetite, but should be fine otherwise. Or how about moving them to a old glass tank inside the house. Or maybe move that IBC tank to a sunny spot in the garden and wrap it with blankets and put a thick clear plastic sheet over it and let it catch heat from the sun like a hothouse.

    I think insulation is probably the biggest problem like you said, and I believe covering the top of the pool will also help a lot. My 2ft unheated tank is sitting at 23C now without any room heating, while the goldfish pond outside is 11C.

    Good luck, hope you find a solution to your problem, it would be sad to see that big paroon go.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - friend Bulldozer Forum Date
RSS Feed Gourami Tank Mates: 13 Species That Are Friendly With This Fish RSS Feeds Dec 7, 2020
Helping a friend set up a planted tank Planted Tanks Aug 15, 2020
Found a friend Other Pets Jan 26, 2020
Wanted: Need a friend of mine tank resealed Wanted/Swop/Freebies Aug 22, 2019
Greetings fish friends New members Aug 17, 2019
My friend's tank so far Full tank shots Feb 25, 2019
Large fish potentially seeking new friends or a new home New members Aug 17, 2018

Share This Page