Regulating Tank Temperature

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by spikey, Dec 9, 2010.

  1. spikey

    spikey I am THE fish.

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2009
    Messages:
    19
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi all,

    Been a while since my last post (nearly two years ago lol).

    Anyway, I've just setup my new 2ft tank which I'm planning on using for some green spotted puffers. I've added water to the tank on Sunday and will let it filter through until Saturday when I plan on putting the fish and plants in. However, the temperature of the water itself is hitting 30C. I live in a flat complex and cannot leave windows open during the day for security reasons. Also, the heater is not plugged in, it's just plain room temperature.

    Is there any way of bringing the temp down a bit? I don't really want to build fans into the tank's canopy as it is a good looking wooden canopy.

    Help will be much appreciated.

    Thanks.
     
  2. Guest




  3. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    You answered your own question there...

    I'm not sure where you are based, but on the fact your tank is hitting 30, I'd guess KZN somewhere or the Northern Cape. If you have a (decent) builder's warehouse nearby, in their electrical/security section, they have started selling all sorts of small electrical stuff, and I saw some nice pc-type fans. IF you were to use them, I would suggest putting one on either side of of the hood, and mount the fans inside. One blowing air in, and one blowing out. This should create a draft through the hood, and may help with the temperature. The fans will be quiet, and running on 12v, shouldn't cost too much to run.

    HOWEVER, I don't know long term how these fans will last against the moisture of a tank.
     
  4. TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    Is your thermometer too close to your light ? ? ?
     
  5. OP
    spikey

    spikey I am THE fish.

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2009
    Messages:
    19
    Likes Received:
    0

    I'm actually in Stellenbosch. Going to Sam's on Saturday to get my fish, but will need to skip the fish if I can't sort out the heat. The problem I have with the fans is that the canopy is a triangular wooden canopy. Putting holes in it is not what I want really. I could try and lift it a bit?


    Thermometer is top left corner of tank, not really close to the light.
     
  6. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    Maybe try a different thermometer.

    It's strange that you getting this type of reading when no one else in CT is experiencing the same.
     
  7. Go-Big

    Go-Big

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2010
    Messages:
    737
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    George
    Agree zoom. There is something wrong here. Its impossible to get 30 in Stellenbosch with out a heater.

    Unless....2ft is not big maybe the light heats the water.
     
  8. Vis

    Vis Gerhard

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Messages:
    6,130
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    Problem is that your hood has no holes and close to the water surface and thus heating your water.
     
  9. OP
    spikey

    spikey I am THE fish.

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2009
    Messages:
    19
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'll post some pics tonight...
     
  10. Rory

    Rory Administrator

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2008
    Messages:
    2,355
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    JHB
    My tank hit 30 when I was in CT. It also had a metal halide above it though. Was staying in a flat on the 3rd floor and it had top hung windows which generally have crappy airflow. Fans work really well. Just one blowing into the hood will make a big diff and should be fine with the water. Use a PC fan though, those 220V ones are really loud.
     
  11. speedz

    speedz In need of a fishroom....

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2009
    Messages:
    747
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Durbz
    sounds like durban temperatures
     
  12. shihr

    shihr Glosso

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2010
    Messages:
    1,838
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    JHB
  13. Toolboysa

    Toolboysa

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2010
    Messages:
    45
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Wilgeheuwel
    Check the Dolphin MC-788 / MC-789 /MC-790

    They are expensive prices range from R735- R1870
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Regulating Tank Temperature Forum Date
Newbie confession: overstocked my first tank on LFS advice — is a R5,500 180L upgrade worth it? Beginner Discussions Jul 12, 2026
100L tank needed General Discussions Jun 15, 2026
Tank builders General Discussions Jan 26, 2026
Disease in a planted tank. Planted Tanks Dec 28, 2025
Tankmates for tiretrack eel? Species Tanks Dec 16, 2025
90cm x 60cm x 45cm opti white tank (10mm) General Equipment discussion Oct 26, 2025
Thinking of starting first malawi tank Cichlids Oct 24, 2025

Share This Page