Red Zebra Danios

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by hein24, Aug 29, 2011.

  1. hein24

    hein24 Betta

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2011
    Messages:
    1,442
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Roodepoort
    Hi All

    So I know its not difficult to breed these so I gave it a try and the result:

    IMG-20110827-00078.jpg

    here they are about 4days old and there are 100's of them.

    IMG-20110827-00078.jpg
     
  2. Guest




  3. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    Are these the gm coloured ones? :sheep:

    They are banned in the UK.
     
  4. OP
    hein24

    hein24 Betta

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2011
    Messages:
    1,442
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Roodepoort
    Nope these are not coloured, you do actually get them. My next batch I am planning to breed is normals and then I am going for whiteclouds.
     
  5. Henk Hugo

    Henk Hugo

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2008
    Messages:
    4,135
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Cape Town
    They are actually the GM'ed ones Hein....
     
  6. OP
    hein24

    hein24 Betta

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2011
    Messages:
    1,442
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Roodepoort
    My bad thought you guys ment dyed...Yes they are GM.
     
  7. Vez

    Vez

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2011
    Messages:
    2,076
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Krugersdorp Jhb
    Looking good, you must come and collect my Zebra's, they are ready to pop!
     
  8. Lizid

    Lizid

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2010
    Messages:
    1,652
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    Looking awesome dude...
     
  9. OP
    hein24

    hein24 Betta

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2011
    Messages:
    1,442
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Roodepoort
    Update time

    So these babies are now only growing rapidly, and I am starting to see light shades of pink/red colour in them. They are all healthy and eating well. I feed them liquifry no 1 and 3. In the morning they get liquifry no 3 and in the afternoon liquifry no 1. They also nibble on my flame and java moss. WC is 20% every second day.

    I will post some pics soon, there are still too many to count:tongue:
     
  10. mydummyname

    mydummyname Balala shark

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2010
    Messages:
    2,302
    Likes Received:
    41
    Location:
    cape town
  11. Lizid

    Lizid

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2010
    Messages:
    1,652
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    Well done dude I hope you manage to grow them out completely...
     
  12. BugMan

    BugMan Green Spotted Puffer

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2011
    Messages:
    765
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Pretoria Gauteng
    Cool... If i may ask. how do you get them to breed??? Or not how do you get them to breed but how do you get the eggs to actually hatch?

    Because mine have laid eggs 2 times already but the eggs never hatch... I do remove the parents after they laid the eggs but the eggs just don't hatch... I keep the tanks temp at a steady 25C and t i am using a corner box filter...
     
  13. OP
    hein24

    hein24 Betta

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2011
    Messages:
    1,442
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Roodepoort
    Well heres how I did it:

    The tank was setup for a week, it is a 40lt planted nano, so planted you can bearly see the gravel.
    I did 20% WC a day before I added the fish.I added 3 females with 2 males.
    The next morning they spawned right after I gave them their morning meal. Becareful they do eat their own eggs, they are extreamly fast. That same afternoon before I fed them I took out the parents.
    I thought at that stage the eggs were all eaten as I left them for the whole day in that tank, but after 24-48 hours the fry hatched and the babies stuck themselfs to the sides of the tank. Even after 4days they still hatch. I also used a corner filter but at low air, if the air is too strong they will be sucked in.
    I run this setup at 22.5 - 24C.
    HTH:smile1:
     
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  14. OP
    hein24

    hein24 Betta

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2011
    Messages:
    1,442
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Roodepoort
    Thanks @mydummyname I must admit they are easy to breed and I feel proud.
    @Lizid thanks dude, I will admit they are very hardy.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  15. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    Yup, that it, the genetically modified ones.

    Well done on getting them to breed.
     
  16. OP
    hein24

    hein24 Betta

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2011
    Messages:
    1,442
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Roodepoort
    Thanks, after these are big I will be attempting normal zebra danios and then white clouds.
     
  17. BugMan

    BugMan Green Spotted Puffer

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2011
    Messages:
    765
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Pretoria Gauteng
    After some research i found out my eggs never hatched... It is because i have the leopard and zebra hybrids that are infertile...
     
  18. OP
    hein24

    hein24 Betta

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2011
    Messages:
    1,442
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Roodepoort
    Well if you'd like I will reserve some of these for you??
     
  19. BugMan

    BugMan Green Spotted Puffer

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2011
    Messages:
    765
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Pretoria Gauteng
    That would be cool... Would you PM me when they are ready to go??? Please...
     
  20. OP
    hein24

    hein24 Betta

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2011
    Messages:
    1,442
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Roodepoort
    Sure no prob..:)
     
  21. OP
    hein24

    hein24 Betta

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2011
    Messages:
    1,442
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Roodepoort
    Some pics

    Okay first off these pics suck, I know time for a new camera...

    Anyways:

    More babies.jpgBabies 01.jpgBabies 02.jpg

    More babies.jpg

    Babies 01.jpg

    Babies 02.jpg
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Zebra Danios Forum Date
Freebie: Platies & Zebra Danios Wanted/Swop/Freebies Aug 9, 2021
Red Zebra danios compatible with baby Bristlenose pleco ? General Discussions Apr 14, 2018
Breeding Zebra Danios Breeding Mar 19, 2015
Pink/red zebra danios General Fish Discussions Jan 12, 2015
4x Blue Zebra Danios Giveaway General Fish Discussions Jul 7, 2014
Tb or mycrobacterium in zebra danios Diseases Apr 20, 2012
Red zebra danios General Discussions Apr 21, 2011

Share This Page