Red Robin Gourami dying?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Razer2007, Dec 12, 2011.

  1. OP
    Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    @Henk Hugo, will the Aquaclear ammonia and nitrite remover filter part help? I have a new one?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  2. Guest




  3. Henk Hugo

    Henk Hugo

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2008
    Messages:
    4,135
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Cape Town
    I'm really not sure how fast it works - but yea put it in for now. It WILL NOT seed the filter with bacteria.
     
  4. OP
    Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    I know it won't add bacteria, but just to remove the ammonia and nitrites for now before I get some sauce
     
  5. OP
    Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    Should I add some salt to the aquarium? will it help in any way? I know it can help with some diseases... When I set it up I added some salt and a few days ago I added about a teaspoon too. But now that the fish are in I don't know if it will be harmful. Could it be beneficial?
     
  6. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    Razer. . . I said add nothing. Do nothing except waterchanges. Dont add salt. You probably going to use the wrong salt in any case and kill everything in one go.

    Get that stuff from henk. And by that i mean get your parents to drive you out there right now. It will definitely help with the cycle.

    When u get back from henk, stop googling and looking for things to do on your tank. You are only confusing yourself more, and making the situation worse and worse. Im actually going to now say it. . . Everyone is thinking it, im gonna say it. . . You are now at the point where you are torturing your fish, and not helping them at all. You are now the reason they are dying, not poor fish, or bad stock from any lps. . . You are.

    Sorry, but it needed to be said.

    Now. . . Click on the forum button at the top of this screen, then click on the articles section, and please read the articles I have specifically written, in very plain and easy english, aimed at beginners.

    It will be about an hours worth of reading, but at least it will keep you away from your fish for an hour, and stop you from reading other krap about fishkeeping on google.

    You have been given some excellent advise on what you need to do. So please stop searching for solutions and asking. . .can I. . . Instead, do what some guys here have told you to do.

    Trust me, when Henk tells you to do something, you will know its good advice.
     
  7. OP
    Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    That was a bit harsh but I guess that's what is needed to say. I have read the articles and understand it and understood it too. I wouldn't have put the fish in my tank if I knew if was still full of ammonia or nitrite. I tested the water at a good LPS and they said it's good - I can put fish in. The mistake I made was to put in 16 fish at once. This probably caused the ammonia spike and wasted me and my fish. I do my best with what I have now and what I can do. I can't just order my parents to get in the car and take me somewhere. They don't believe in all these technical and biological stuff about the water, they just say that it's a hard fish/ it happens/ it's a risk. Most of the fish I've had in the past childhood years survived a 100% clean out of the tank where they were put in the same day. I knew nothing about a cycle and "sterile" water or bacteria in the water. A few years ago, if you'd tell me I have bacteria in the tank I would run to a petshop and buy medicine. I am very new in this and I'm trying. Please bear with me, and if it's needed, hit me in the right direction like you did now. I'll do what I can and I don't intend to be cruel to my fish. They are the friends that won't stab me in the back.
     
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  8. azurekoi

    azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,077
    Likes Received:
    61
    Location:
    Pretoria
    The reason your fish where lucky to survive past treatment of emptying out your tank,washing it etc was because they where 1: Lucky and 2: More importantly - they were rested,aclimatized and had healthy,rebuilt immune systems after the process they went through to get to SA and into your tank - my previous post on here bout the route fish take to get to our tanks - Do your water changes - thats the best you can do mate!
     
  9. OP
    Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    Guess that's all I can do now but not tomorrow. Sunday I'll be able to do a 50% WC and then only after Christmas. The best I can do now is to pray that all goes well for now.
     
  10. azurekoi

    azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,077
    Likes Received:
    61
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Thats not necessarily a bad thing - fishie's not getting fed(take it you are going away?) ' just DONT pop one of those "weekend feeding blocks" in the tank....
     
  11. OP
    Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    I'm going away but parents are staying. They will feed twice a day. On Monday me and parents are going away again till the 25'th. Another woman will feed them every 2nd day then.
     
  12. azurekoi

    azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,077
    Likes Received:
    61
    Location:
    Pretoria
    No,no...nooooooo. Once a day is more than adequate for now.....more than enough! Make sure that you leave little pill containers or packets or something for the lady with pre-prepared food for the lady to just tip in.... Less food now will not killl your fish - overfeeding them most probably will....
     
  13. OP
    Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    Ah OK. Thanks.
     
  14. azurekoi

    azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,077
    Likes Received:
    61
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Pleasure mate.... stop worrying - do the waterchanges and cut DOWN on feeding.... You might lose a fishy or two more,but follow our advice and your tank will cycle with miimal fish loss and in the New year you can stock a few more.....
     
  15. OP
    Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    Yeah I guess I won't come back to a bunch of zombie fish. Man I thought I would get a pair of rams later on. I I can't take care of those 3 fish then I'm forked if I get rams.

    Meh. But why is it only some of the Brochis? I mean- the other 2 are still fine?
     
  16. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    It all depends on each individual fish's immune system. When that hot girl with the super tanned legs walks into your class with the flu, why doesnt the entire class get sick, and only a select few? Because everyone in your class has a different level of immune system. (or she only kissed a few of you guys)

    Feedijg once a day as a general rule is actually perfect. My fish have never been healthier since I changed over to one feed a day.
     
  17. OP
    Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    We got back late today and I'm sick from the sun and not wearing a hat. Good news is that all fish are still alive. I'd have to get 1 or 2 more brochis because the need to be a few right? But only after a few weeks.

    Thanks for the explanation Zoom.
     
  18. Henk Hugo

    Henk Hugo

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2008
    Messages:
    4,135
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Glad to hear. I might go the the warehouse tomorrow - do you want me grab some stuff for you?
     
  19. OP
    Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    Yo we are back and the tank has some more algae than when we left, because I don't have a light timer so the light was on the whole time :( I got a timer now and just need to re-arrange the wiring and plugs for it to fit. I have some plants in the "quarantine" tank which I want to put in the big tank now. Can I or should I still leave everything except WC's?

    All the brochis are gone now and I can't find any dead bodies. The drama should be levelling out now. Gonna leave the fish population as it is now for a few weeks before I add some brochis or cory's again.
     
  20. tracyp

    tracyp Lotus

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2010
    Messages:
    1,619
    Likes Received:
    31
    Location:
    Stanford, Western Cape
    Hi Danelle,

    You can go ahead with the plants, they can't do any harm. I'd guess that the brochis bodies were eaten up while you were away. Shame, they are real pretty fish, and not always so easy to find. Which fishies have survived? It's always interesting to know...
     
  21. OP
    Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    All the fish except the Gourami's and Brochis. I feel ashamed that I have caused them to die. When I found out it's not just copper Cory's I felt quite chuffed. I still have my Angels, Pleco, False Siamensis, Otto, coolie loach, and all the tetra's.

    I'll see if I can get some again, but only after a few weeks as I've said.

    I'm gonna do a WC now. The water is truing a bit yellowy/green-ish from the wood I think.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Robin Gourami dying Forum Date
Red Robin or Sunset Gouramis? Labyrinth Fish Aug 8, 2012
FB: Robin,Just an update on the new head of our household, "FRIKKIE"Frikkie adop... Jungle Aquatics Dec 29, 2014
Wanted: Female dwarf gourami Wanted/Swop/Freebies Oct 19, 2024
Wanted: Looking for female dwarf gourami Wanted/Swop/Freebies Oct 8, 2024
Dwarf Gouramis Breeding Dec 1, 2022
Swop: Filter, 4ft tank, Gourami and Catfish (Synodontis) Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jun 6, 2022
Sphaerichthys osphromenoides (Chocolate Gourami) Labyrinth Fish Sep 25, 2021

Share This Page