Red Robin Gourami dying?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Razer2007, Dec 12, 2011.

  1. OP
    Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    Oh my word if the test were accurate then I would not have bought all the fish! The only thing they did not test with the paper is the ammonia. Can this quickly be eliminated or is it just a wait? Water changes?
     
  2. Guest




  3. tracyp

    tracyp Lotus

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2010
    Messages:
    1,619
    Likes Received:
    31
    Location:
    Stanford, Western Cape
    There's your problem. Zoom & Henk are right, ammonia/nitrite spike combined with VERY thin fishies - (looked at your other thread.) Too many fish added at once, your bacteria-friends haven't been able to catch up with the fish-load.
     
  4. OP
    Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    It makes sense, unfortunately. But the funny thing is, I have always done the "pack out - wash - pack in - fill - put in fish & plants" in a single day and have only lost 1 fish like that. These 2 are probably a bit more delicate than those.
     
  5. Henk Hugo

    Henk Hugo

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2008
    Messages:
    4,135
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Dude get your mom to quickly come fetch some of the industrial bacteria here at home. Just put some of it in the tank to sort things out.
     
  6. OP
    Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    She'll laugh at me. I can't do anything now. I will ask her where she's going tomorrow while I'm at Velddrift. If I had my own car I would come. Will excel overdose help?
     
  7. Henk Hugo

    Henk Hugo

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2008
    Messages:
    4,135
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Cape Town
    NO! DO NOT add anything but bacteria or water changes to the tank. Adding polycycloglutaracetal will just make the whole situation spiral out of control. Without doing 50% water changes or adding some sort of bacteria to the system you are most probably loose all the fish.
     
  8. OP
    Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    Geesh 50% change? All at once? Won't that make the fish crazy? And then I need de-chlorinator for the new water?
     
  9. Henk Hugo

    Henk Hugo

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2008
    Messages:
    4,135
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Cape Town
    If you used prepped water it will be fine.
     
  10. OP
    Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    dafuq?

    Sorry I'm a n00b as you know :( Please explain how I "prep" it.
     
  11. Henk Hugo

    Henk Hugo

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2008
    Messages:
    4,135
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Oh you put it in a drum, air rate it and heat it. Basically aging the water.
     
  12. OP
    Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    Oh, I could do that but not before tomorrow, so that's not before the 26'th. I don't have a spare heater now anyways.
     
  13. Henk Hugo

    Henk Hugo

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2008
    Messages:
    4,135
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Right - so come fetch the bugs-in-a-bottle :p
     
  14. OP
    Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    :evil: I can't
     
  15. Henk Hugo

    Henk Hugo

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2008
    Messages:
    4,135
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Cape Town
    ai tog - dont you have a friend with a car? Come on - teenager are resourceful creatures....
     
  16. OP
    Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    I do but man - asking somebody to drive out this time of the day for something which won't affect them is not decent IMO. Those 2 probably won't survive but maybe I can get some over the weekend. My parents will still be here.
     
  17. Henk Hugo

    Henk Hugo

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2008
    Messages:
    4,135
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Cape Town
    mmmmmmmmmmkay - well just know that if a fish dies while you are away it WILL kill off all of the fish in your system. The offer stands - let me know via whatsapp.
     
  18. AquaAddict

    AquaAddict

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2011
    Messages:
    315
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Durbanville
    Just asking for my own education - will the bottled bugs also help with ammonia? I thought you needed something like zeolite for that.
     
  19. OP
    Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    I guess it is Ammonia and nitrites: http://www.fishyportal.com/cgi-bin/pub/diag?c=v&id=57&did=259452. Symptoms match.

    But hell! Why didn't I think of it! I have an unopened box of those ammonia and nitrite remover sacks for the filter! I'll just rinse it out in some of the aquarium water (removed from tank) and put it in the filter?
     
  20. Henk Hugo

    Henk Hugo

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2008
    Messages:
    4,135
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  21. AquaAddict

    AquaAddict

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2011
    Messages:
    315
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Durbanville

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Robin Gourami dying Forum Date
Red Robin or Sunset Gouramis? Labyrinth Fish Aug 8, 2012
FB: Robin,Just an update on the new head of our household, "FRIKKIE"Frikkie adop... Jungle Aquatics Dec 29, 2014
Wanted: Female dwarf gourami Wanted/Swop/Freebies Oct 19, 2024
Wanted: Looking for female dwarf gourami Wanted/Swop/Freebies Oct 8, 2024
Dwarf Gouramis Breeding Dec 1, 2022
Swop: Filter, 4ft tank, Gourami and Catfish (Synodontis) Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jun 6, 2022
Sphaerichthys osphromenoides (Chocolate Gourami) Labyrinth Fish Sep 25, 2021

Share This Page