Red Robin Gourami dying?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Razer2007, Dec 12, 2011.

  1. Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    I recently got 2 red robin gourami's and it looked like they were doing fine. Today I saw one of them lying on the sand, kind of on it's side. It's still breathing and if Itouch it with the net it moves a few cm away then lies down again.

    I have no experience with weird fish diseases and don't have a water tester. I tested the water a few days ago and the ammonia was 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5, pH 6.4 (then added seachem neutral regulator). The hardness was fine too. I have been dosing Flourish Excel half a cap each day too.

    What could it be and what can I do?

    IMG_4419.JPGIMG_4422.JPGIMG_4429.JPGIMG_4432.JPG

    IMG_4419.JPG

    IMG_4422.JPG

    IMG_4429.JPG

    IMG_4432.JPG
     
  2. Guest




  3. Henk Hugo

    Henk Hugo

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2008
    Messages:
    4,135
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Cape Town
    I really dont know - it could be poisoning from the Excel?
     
  4. OP
    Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    How the hell can they sell stuff that poisons your fish? But how could it be only this fish?

    Could I be over-dosing the excel?
     
  5. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    Henk is having a dig at Excel because you are not using the stuff he imports.

    How long have you had the fish?
    How long did you quarantine them?
     
  6. Henk Hugo

    Henk Hugo

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2008
    Messages:
    4,135
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Any product needs to be dosed in the correct dosage - remember to subtract for the substrate and rocks etc.
     
  7. Henk Hugo

    Henk Hugo

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2008
    Messages:
    4,135
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Cape Town
    @Zoom - not at all. Excel is pretty poisonous stuff. Ask Dirk if you dont believe me
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  8. OP
    Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    I think I had it for 3 days. When introducing them to the new tank I put it in a bucket with the LFS water. I then added some of my tank water and threw some of it out again. Added some more of my tank water later and thew it out again. I repeated this about 5 times, total about 45 minutes. When the water was like completely my tank water, I thew the fish into the tank.

    But the weird fact is: The other fish looks fine. It's just this one being buggy
     
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  9. OP
    Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    @Henk Hugo: Is your stuff then better? Which shops sell it?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  10. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    It's very possible your fish were doomed from the start.

    But your Quarantying process is also not adequate. Fish need to be kept in quarantine for over 2 weeks (2 weeks healthy and strong) before introduced to a new tank. Check out some articles in the article section regarding this.
     
  11. OP
    Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    What do you mean "doomed from the start"? Already sick in the petshop?

    I can't keep so many tanks to quarantine the fish :( I'm not allowed to set up another tank other than the small temporary one for the silver dollars which will be fetched by Gert.
     
  12. Henk Hugo

    Henk Hugo

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2008
    Messages:
    4,135
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Our stuff is 100% natural. Ask Panorama - they should have it. If they are out of stock they can order for you.
     
  13. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    Yup.

    Do some good quality water changes over the next few days. Feed minimal with a good quality food (Tetra or OmegaOne).
     
  14. OP
    Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    :(

    The fish is just lying on the ground and breathing heavily while the others are fine.

    I do about 30% water changes daily. Could it possibly be an ammonia spike after adding the fish?

    I must admit - the excel smells like plant gif vir bossies.
     
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  15. PappaBear

    PappaBear

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2011
    Messages:
    487
    Likes Received:
    162
    Location:
    Moorreesburg
    Geez Louise! I wish I had the time to do 30% daily water changes!!
     
  16. Henk Hugo

    Henk Hugo

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2008
    Messages:
    4,135
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Same active ingredient as anti-freeze
     
  17. zipaxuys

    zipaxuys

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2011
    Messages:
    59
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Durban
    Here's my noobie thoughts, had a similar problem with my gouramis, I presume they are both males, one is stronger and has won the battle for terrority by bulling the other one into submission, unfortunatly the weaker one won't survive, as far as I know you need to keep them in groups of six or more to prevent all the fighting, just my thoughts hope yours survives
     
  18. OP
    Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    It's only a 100l tank.

    I'll have to google anti-freeze. No idea what it is.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifreeze?

    Well they weren't fighting though, but makes sense.
     
  19. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    I used to use Excel when I had a BB algae problem. Dosed slightly less than the instructions, and never lost a fish.

    Often a fish will be sick in the fish shop. The stress of being bagged up and moved to your tank will bring on the full blown disease. Happens unfortunately.

    Also, these types of Gourami are highly inbred and are notourously suseptable to diseases.
     
  20. OP
    Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    Inbred? Wow I really didn't know that :(

    This sucks - there isn't really a solution is there?
     
  21. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    Forget the excel problem. Millions of people around the world a successfully using it. If it is dosed according to dosage instructions, you are fine.

    Your ammonia seems fine. Keep up the wc for a week or so. I suspect the fish was ill from the start, and as reedfish has mentioned, this really could be something unavoidable. I dont think there has been anything wrong that you have done. Just do the best with what you can, and let nature take its course.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Robin Gourami dying Forum Date
Red Robin or Sunset Gouramis? Labyrinth Fish Aug 8, 2012
FB: Robin,Just an update on the new head of our household, "FRIKKIE"Frikkie adop... Jungle Aquatics Dec 29, 2014
Wanted: Female dwarf gourami Wanted/Swop/Freebies Oct 19, 2024
Wanted: Looking for female dwarf gourami Wanted/Swop/Freebies Oct 8, 2024
Dwarf Gouramis Breeding Dec 1, 2022
Swop: Filter, 4ft tank, Gourami and Catfish (Synodontis) Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jun 6, 2022
Sphaerichthys osphromenoides (Chocolate Gourami) Labyrinth Fish Sep 25, 2021

Share This Page