Red Plant ID

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by Hawk, Jul 4, 2012.

  1. Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    I'm new at this but can someone tell me the name of this red plant and any growing tips:embarrest:
    IMG_4490.jpg

    IMG_4486.jpg

    IMG_4490.jpg
     
  2. Guest




  3. Dirk

    Dirk Dwarf Catfish

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2009
    Messages:
    2,514
    Likes Received:
    81
    Location:
    Somerset West
    Looks like a plastic plant to me:D


    and in the second tank you have blacklisted Elodea.

    We need bigger pics please.

    Kind regards,

    Dirk
     
  4. Yster

    Yster

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2011
    Messages:
    151
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Viljoenskroon
    The red plant looks plastic?Anyways the red plant looks like alternanthera reineckii.
     
  5. Dirk

    Dirk Dwarf Catfish

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2009
    Messages:
    2,514
    Likes Received:
    81
    Location:
    Somerset West
    Plastic alternanthera reineckii?
     
  6. Yster

    Yster

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2011
    Messages:
    151
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Viljoenskroon
    Doubt that IF they made a plastic alternanthera that it would have such long stems and few leaves?
     
  7. OP
    Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    @Yster; Definitely not plastic. I was too embarresed :embarrest: to show the rest of the picture as it is still in it's plastic pot. It grew leggy because I have never trimmed it and I had to lie it on it's side as it grew too big. Thanks. I will look up alternanthera.
    @Dirk Bellstedt - Hi Dirk. Sorry to bother you but which one is blacklisted. I got all my plants from 2 LFS and would like to know which one sold me the dodgy plant. Also, if you have time could you please look at my thread (in general discussion) on my dead female guppy. Nobody has given me an answer and Irma suggested you might have an answer.

    Thanks again. Marc
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  8. OP
    Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Ok, so I looked up Alternanthera Reineckii but all the pics I see show green leaves as well as red. In all the time I've had this plant it has never had green leaves?
     
  9. shan

    shan

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2010
    Messages:
    248
    Likes Received:
    27
    Location:
    Centurion
    as for the black listed plant. If you look at your second pic - the plant on the right is plastic. Coming from the left is the red plant. And smack in the middle is the Elodea
     
  10. hein24

    hein24 Betta

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2011
    Messages:
    1,442
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Roodepoort
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  11. OP
    Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    @shan - I have 2 varieties of this plant. The one in the pic that I'm told is black listed and another with more needley/pine tree sort of leaves. I will take a pic of the other variety so I can check that one too.

    Why is the plant black listed and how can LFS sell them without getting in to trouble? Is it an invasive species or toxic or what? My guppy fry love it as they have somewhere to hide that the adults cannot get to. Should I remove it?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  12. OP
    Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    @hein24 - Thanks for the response. It's hard to tell as mine is very leggy. I will probably have to post the pic I didn't want to. Thanks for the website. I have added it to my bookmarks. :shakehands:
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  13. wrenchy

    wrenchy

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2012
    Messages:
    448
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Port Elizabeth
    99% of people dont know about the blacklist, if i were you i would keep it! However do be responsible and not go put it in a dam or something haha
     
  14. hein24

    hein24 Betta

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2011
    Messages:
    1,442
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Roodepoort
    Its a pleasure I use it quite often comes really handy.
     
  15. Dirk

    Dirk Dwarf Catfish

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2009
    Messages:
    2,514
    Likes Received:
    81
    Location:
    Somerset West
    Ok, you can now have a good laugh at my expense.

    I did not see the Alternanthera in the first pic at all, I thought you were referring to the stuff on the right. I am red green colour blind that is why I missed it in the first place.

    Now you must just clarify one thing though, the plant on the right IS plastic right?

    Kind regards,

    Dirk
     
  16. OP
    Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  17. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    Sjoe... I was MOST intrigued in that plant when you said it wasn't plastic. I seriously thought you were referring to the big one (that we now know is plastic). So @Dirk Bellstedt, don't stress about your colour blindness... I picked on the wrong plant too...
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  18. OP
    Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    @Zoom - It's my favourite decoration which I'm wondering if I can grow Cladophora aegagrophila over the bushes to create a mini bonzai.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  19. OP
    Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    @azurekoi - Can you help ID the red plant in my pictures. I was told to speak to you. Please note it is not the plastic plant :cool:
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  20. Dirk

    Dirk Dwarf Catfish

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2009
    Messages:
    2,514
    Likes Received:
    81
    Location:
    Somerset West
    Marc,

    But your red plant IS Alternanthera reineckii, about that we have no doubt.

    Kind regards,

    Dirk
     
  21. Zeiphex

    Zeiphex Axolotl

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2011
    Messages:
    440
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Stellenbosch
    Wait, Elodea is blacklisted??? My LFS has sold this for as long as I can remember for R9 a bunch and I have always used it in my tanks.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Plant Forum Date
Horizon Labs Tissue Culture Plants Have Arrived! Jungle Aquatics Jul 1, 2026
Wanted: Plant Trimmings Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jun 30, 2026
Plants for sale Planted Tanks Jun 11, 2026
Looking to trade plants Planted Tanks Apr 8, 2026
Looking to swap plants Aquatic plants Apr 8, 2026
Wanted: Plant trimmings Wanted/Swop/Freebies Mar 19, 2026
Planted Nano 40L Jebo Members Systems Jan 19, 2026

Share This Page