real error in judgment

Discussion in 'Catfish' started by top dog, Aug 14, 2012.

  1. top dog

    top dog

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2012
    Messages:
    1,765
    Likes Received:
    888
    Location:
    JHB Greenstone
    hey guy was busy starting up a a old tank, to try get my girlfriend into helping me with the hobby.
    After 2 weeks of cycling the tank we went down to the lfs to go get some fish. Low and behold she fell inlove with a bay redtale catfish.
    It was so tiny and cute about 5cm in legth and impulse to over.
    Now i need to plan on housing my future beast
    The problem i am having is i have never seen a redtale this small all the ones i have kept in the past where bought around 15cm mark, and ideas as to what i should feed this lil guy
    thanks Mark
     
  2. Guest




  3. L~C~G

    L~C~G

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2012
    Messages:
    353
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Gauteng - Edenvale
    As far as I know a RTC will eat anything including the decor in the tank. Possibly try cutting a shelled prawn into pieces small enough to fit into his mouth, im sure he will go nuts for it. Every fish in my tank goes insane the second a piece of prawn hits the water.

    He may even go after live earthworms too. I have a worm farm to feed my fire eel so i can help you out with a few worms if you are stuck. Im in Sandringham which is just down the road from greenstone.

    I have often been in two minds about buying a RTC, and have even seen baby Tiger shovel noses for sale but until I have a solid plan in place for a massive tank I would not even consider it. The RTC grows to an epic size and you will need a monster setup with huge filtration to properly house this guy.
     
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  4. MHD

    MHD

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2012
    Messages:
    59
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    Good luck man. If it's not too late i'd try convince your GF to return it. These guys grow into monsters!

    As mentioned by L~C~G these guys eat absolutely everything. My cousin once had one and this guy would eat anything that could fit in his mouth.

    As for your little guy I think you could feed him bloodworms and other pellets for catfish.

    If you dont mind me asking how big is your tank?
     
  5. Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    @top dog - Good Luck. That's a lot of potential fish. :)
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  6. KennyG

    KennyG

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2012
    Messages:
    762
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Centurion
    #monster fish coming your way :D
     
  7. Gnl Jakes

    Gnl Jakes

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2012
    Messages:
    103
    Likes Received:
    8
    Location:
    Johannesburg area
    Definitely a monster fish. I had one a while ago. Also bought the beast out of impulse and its cuteness.
    then within a month started growing like mad... I may be corrected, but it was a growth spurt of something ridiculous like 1cm a week. His 4ft tank soon go to small and I gave him to one of my friends with a bigger home. And I know, there he terrorized all fish to the point that he was and still is at the top of the food chain... see attached photo...
    But I must add, that they do get very friendly very fast.

    B6.jpgB7.jpg

    B6.jpg

    B7.jpg
     
  8. KennyG

    KennyG

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2012
    Messages:
    762
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Centurion
    they certainly have nice colours :)
     
  9. BBQ

    BBQ

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2012
    Messages:
    1,023
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Esh is all I can say!
    Last friday I Visited @Willem to see his 3500L swimming pool to house this "little" fella
    and trust me, That is one massive RED TAIL! he has... his head is about 25cm wide and maybe over a Meter.
    Tho I couldnt take a picture of this RED tail in this massive swimming pool as the water was just added the night before.
    Will ask him to uplaod some pics soon
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  10. neilm1812

    neilm1812

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2012
    Messages:
    21
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Johannesburg - Kelvin
    @L~C~G - (off topic but first time I seen it mentioned here) Is there any specific prawns that you use? I assume these are the frozen type you get at the super markets? I bought some this weekend as I wanted to vary the diet of my Tyre track eel, but did not feed him any as I noticed that on the packaging was a notice about some sort of preservitative that had been applied so that the prawns would keep longer. Or are you using fresh prawns from a Fish Monger?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  11. L~C~G

    L~C~G

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2012
    Messages:
    353
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Gauteng - Edenvale
    Yes, I dont buy from supermarkets. I buy pink prawns with the shell removed from fish mongers. There is a place in Bruma that sells them for about R100 / kg and that lasts about 4 - 6 months with my fire eel. There is also a really reasonable place in Meadowdale.

    My fire Eel was fed exclusively on earth worms for the first year that I had him. Since I have been switching every second feeding to prawns his colour has become brighter and he is far more active. I defrost the prawn in room temp water and then cut it into strips because he is used to worm shaped food and he sucks them down like spaghetti that way.
     
  12. OP
    top dog

    top dog

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2012
    Messages:
    1,765
    Likes Received:
    888
    Location:
    JHB Greenstone
    hey guys thanks for the advise.
    I have had a few red tails over the years and know what size is cable of
    at the moment he is in a 3 foot, with a 5 foot in waiting then i have a 2 meter by .9 wide tank on ice in my old mans shed.
    just never seen one so tiny before and was worried about just feeding him anything
    Trust me woman aint taking him back, he is more loved than me i think
     
  13. KennyG

    KennyG

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2012
    Messages:
    762
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Centurion
    Well at least u have a pet river monster now :D
     
  14. OP
    top dog

    top dog

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2012
    Messages:
    1,765
    Likes Received:
    888
    Location:
    JHB Greenstone
    agreed hope it does not end up eating her
     
  15. KennyG

    KennyG

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2012
    Messages:
    762
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Centurion
    in that case jeremy wade is the man to call ;)
     
  16. MHD

    MHD

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2012
    Messages:
    59
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    Hahahahah.. Keep us posted with the growth of the little guy!
     
  17. Skye01

    Skye01

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2011
    Messages:
    1,273
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Rynfield, Benoni. GP
    Boy oh boy, I think that you headed this mail correctly. If you are interested go to PM in Boksburg and have a look in their pond. They have a female RTC and she is easy over a metre in length and has a massive head, she eats all sorts of things, but not the Oscars that share her pond. You really do have a potentially huge problem on your hands, Good Luck!
     
  18. OP
    top dog

    top dog

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2012
    Messages:
    1,765
    Likes Received:
    888
    Location:
    JHB Greenstone
    Thanks L~C~G he ate a chop up shirmp like a pro, can not believe i never thought of that before you mentioned it,
    Now i just got brace my self for the insain growth
     
  19. L~C~G

    L~C~G

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2012
    Messages:
    353
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Gauteng - Edenvale
    The smell of prawn / shrimp seems to carry like crazy in water. I bought a malawi that would not eat and after a week I get really worried, I tried every food i could think of and he would hide way every time I put food in. One evening I was feeding the eel and a small piece of prawn broke off from the piece I had in my hand and was floating around in the water. I just saw a streak from the back of the tank and this guy had nailed it from spotting it about 70cm away.

    After that I got him fattened up on prawns and he started eating pellets a few days later.

    You are going to have an expensive problem if your RTC develops a real taste for prawn! :laugh:
     
  20. OP
    top dog

    top dog

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2012
    Messages:
    1,765
    Likes Received:
    888
    Location:
    JHB Greenstone
    agreed but atleat it is not crayfish i guess
    Used to feed my large one on muscles and crab sticks a few years back and it was not cheap
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - real error judgment Forum Date
Newbie (as in, really!!) New members Nov 8, 2021
Back to Calmness and Reality!! New members Aug 23, 2018
Real newb!! New members Jun 4, 2017
Are these real Guppy's? General Discussions Apr 4, 2017
Koi & REAL Plakkat Betta's @ Pet Stop SA Pet Stop Mar 23, 2017
Polypterus and real oddball Sponsor Requests Mar 1, 2017
Bio-Vital is it really worth it General Discussions Aug 26, 2016

Share This Page