Re-Filtering?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SHiBBY, Feb 7, 2011.

  1. SHiBBY

    SHiBBY DIY Guru

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2010
    Messages:
    639
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Glenwood, Cape Town
    Hey guys,


    I sourced a new (albeit old but revamped) pump over the week, and got an idea for my old pump.

    This may sound stupid, but let it sink in a bit...

    If I use my old 2000 l/h pump to RE-cycle water (i.e. taking water before it returns to the tank and sending it right back to the start of the filter) will this not benefit filtration? The flow inside the sump will be higher, but some of the water will be filtered two or three times before returning to the tank. I've heard that you can never have enough filtration. Well, every time the water re-cycles it's like you're doubling the size of your sump, is it not?

    I don't know, just some weekend thoughts...
     
  2. Guest




  3. Vis

    Vis Gerhard

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Messages:
    6,130
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    HI Shibby

    You could not go wrong this way. Would be like a extra long sump. How would you prevent it from flooding?
     
  4. OP
    SHiBBY

    SHiBBY DIY Guru

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2010
    Messages:
    639
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Glenwood, Cape Town
    Well, the cycle remains the same whether it returns through the tank or directly to the beginning of the sump. Water is taken at one end and supplied at the other. Along with the re-cycling, I'll have my main pump following the normal route to the tank and eventually the overflow. The water which returns to the tank will as such consist of water which has passed anything between 1 to X times through the filter. I'll also be able to turn the main pump off for maintenance while cycling the sump among itself, thus providing a steady supply of flowing water to the organic media.

    I can't do this with my current sump as the increased flow will shoot out of the sump like water from the pool in the movie Constantine should the power go out, but as soon as @TroyFish graces me with that 3 foot, this is what I'll attempt in the future.

    I also want to put a solenoid on the overflow pipe, so if the power cuts out the solenoid will automatically close an the sump water level will not instantly rise.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  5. TroyFish

    TroyFish

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2010
    Messages:
    1,717
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Pretoria east, Elardus Park
    Lol @SHiBBY completely forgot! Tank is ready for you, theres still water in it at the moment, let me know when you want to collect.

    Nice idea though, might as well try this and see what happens, as i read it this should work? Makes alot of sense
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  6. TroyFish

    TroyFish

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2010
    Messages:
    1,717
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Pretoria east, Elardus Park
    Double post. Browser acting crazy today
     
  7. OP
    SHiBBY

    SHiBBY DIY Guru

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2010
    Messages:
    639
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Glenwood, Cape Town
    Not a problem mate ;-) Getting my car this week. I'll come for it as soon as I've got my wheels. Alternatively, I'll ask @CharleyFXST REALLY nice if he's keen on a mini road trip... That 3 foot is going to be a legendary sump. a 3ft sump on a 4 ft tank... Let it never be said that my filtration is inadequate!

    My 1.5 foot sump will also be up for grabs once I've got that 3 foot, so if anyone has a small tank... ;-)
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  8. TroyFish

    TroyFish

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2010
    Messages:
    1,717
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Pretoria east, Elardus Park
    @SHiBBY Ill take that sump from you, consider it a trade....a bargain trade.

    My 3ft has k@k bracing on and a few small chips but works perfect so dont worry....
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  9. OP
    SHiBBY

    SHiBBY DIY Guru

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2010
    Messages:
    639
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Glenwood, Cape Town
    That sounds like a deal, except my current sump will have to be changed with the new 3ft, which is yet to be constructed... I still need to do the layout and measurements for the 3ft so there'll be a week or so downtime during which I will need both sumps, as one has to filter while the other is being constructed. Once it's done however, you are more than welcome to have the small sump!

    Thanks!
     
  10. TroyFish

    TroyFish

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2010
    Messages:
    1,717
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Pretoria east, Elardus Park
    No problem, just let me know. When do you want to collect?
     
  11. OP
    SHiBBY

    SHiBBY DIY Guru

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2010
    Messages:
    639
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Glenwood, Cape Town
    Well, don't get me wrong, I have considered just strapping it to my back on the bike, but even the smallest accident would turn me into Oscar treats...

    And as I'm still waiting for my car, I'm afraid I cannot give a date and time... As soon as I have something non-life-threatening to transport it with, I'm there! ;-)
     
  12. TroyFish

    TroyFish

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2010
    Messages:
    1,717
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Pretoria east, Elardus Park
    Sorry forgot you mentioned that problem. Just PM me when you ready
     
  13. OP
    SHiBBY

    SHiBBY DIY Guru

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2010
    Messages:
    639
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Glenwood, Cape Town
    Will do, thanks bud!

    Anyhoo, back to topic! All in favor of re-filtering say 'Aye'.
     
  14. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    In theory it will work... however if your sump is set up properly, and the water is being filtered correctly the first time, all you are doing is diluting the unfiltered water (from your tank) with filtered water, (from the return chamber). My mind is saying that the biological filtration may slow down because now the water is not feeding the bacteria properly.... cause it's diluted.
     
  15. Go-Big

    Go-Big

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2010
    Messages:
    737
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    George
    Aye! Message to short! lol
     
  16. Go-Big

    Go-Big

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2010
    Messages:
    737
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    George
    Zoom. The inlet and outlet volume stay the same as before. So the 'feeding' would not be less. No filter does a 100% job so refiltering might just up that %. It also does not work on a consentration scale. If al the water travels threw/over/under the media i cannot see a dilution problem.
     
  17. OP
    SHiBBY

    SHiBBY DIY Guru

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2010
    Messages:
    639
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Glenwood, Cape Town
    Thanks for your input! It makes absolute sense, but then again keep in mind that the original input from the tank is still the same volume as it always was. The ROF (rate of filtration) is just X l/h faster as it gets mixed with the water that has already been filtered. In a perfect word, water should be completely free of ammonia by the time it reaches the end of the sump. This is however hardly ever the case. As such you are filtering water that is perhaps 75% as loaded as the original stream, but flowing 2/3 as fast so the amount of ammonia passing through should remain fairly the same. Hopefully by the time it reaches the end of the sump again, the ammonia levels will be somewhat lower than with normal 1:1 filtration.

    This is purely theoretic at the moment. I welcome all input as the feasability will be challenged, and that's how theory reaches the point of implementation.
     
  18. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    I agree with you all 100% that the same VOLUME of dirty water will be entering the tank.... but let's put it differently. If I take 5ml of dishwashing liquid to 5litres of hot water, I will wash my dishes effectively. If I take the same 5ml and add it to 15litres of hot water, I won't get the same results. Same dish washing liquid isn't it? This is just how my mind works.
     
  19. Go-Big

    Go-Big

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2010
    Messages:
    737
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    George
    LOL. Yes but in this case the dishes(dirty water) are already almost clean, just a extra whipe(re-filtering).
     
  20. OP
    SHiBBY

    SHiBBY DIY Guru

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2010
    Messages:
    639
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Glenwood, Cape Town
    I understand what you mean Zoom, and it makes sense. But then again, a whole bottle of dishwashing liquid to 5 litres of water will wash your dishes even better. When washing dishes, the aim is to get the dishes clean. When filtering water, the aim is to get the water clean, and not feed the filter.

    In comparison, that would mean a heavy bio load would be awesome for your sump, but that wouldn't improve your water quality. You'll have happy sump, and sad fish. By minimizing the amount of ammonia that enters the sump, the organisms can work harder on the ammonia that DOES remain.
     
  21. Go-Big

    Go-Big

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2010
    Messages:
    737
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    George
    Im with you here Shibby but im also holding my breath for the pre and post tests. I presume you are going to to those tests?, otherwise these debatings are futile.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Filtering Forum Date
What's filtering your system? Filtration Jul 22, 2013
Pond filtering advice needed..... Ponds Jul 27, 2012
Canister filter and bio-filtering Filtration Jan 31, 2012
Silt not filtering out of the water General Discussions Oct 31, 2011
filtering a stream with wetland planting General Off-Topic chat Aug 12, 2010
another filtering question!!! General Discussions Jun 21, 2010

Share This Page