Quick cycle?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by wabba, Sep 5, 2011.

  1. wabba

    wabba

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2011
    Messages:
    68
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Germiston
    Hello Everyone.


    I am setting up another moss tank, is it ok to use a fish like comets or similar to cycle the tank or new filter media(ceramic rings) quicker, will it work, is it kind to the fish and do they eat moss. The reason i thought of comets is that i think they would eat alot and mess alot. I will be filling this tank with water from an existing tank.
    My goal is to maintain water parameters as not to shock the moss clippings to much, to avoid the chances of the moss needing time to adjust again.Also hoping the fish would supply enough nutrients for the moss. The tank has high flow and water feature, wanna see if i can get the moss to grow out the water.

    Any advice or input is greatly appreciated.


    Thanks
     
  2. Guest




  3. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    You say "another", so I am assuming you already have 1 tank?
    If so, why don't you use some of the filter media from the first tank to cycle the 2nd one?
     
  4. Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    :D I think comets would love a little moss snack and the moss would provide nutrients for the fish, rather than the other way around.
     
  5. OP
    wabba

    wabba

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2011
    Messages:
    68
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Germiston
    It doesnt have a filter but i suppose i could use some from one of the other filters.
     
  6. azurekoi

    azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,077
    Likes Received:
    61
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Here's some quick inspiration for getting your moss growing emersed.... It's crawled out of the "aquarium" part of my paludarium,up the little waterfall and established a beachhead...lol... Its Flame moss... you can also see some Hydrocotyle leucocephela going emersed and in the back a little bit of Windelov Java fern and a Baby Cryptocoryne parva I've been mothering...
    Just love it when the planting starts climbing out...lol

    DSCF5242.jpg

    Can I suggest using some White Cloud Mountain Minnows for cycling... Wont eat the moss like the Goldfish would,tough,doesnt require a heater and generally super cheap...

    DSCF5242.jpg
     
  7. OP
    wabba

    wabba

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2011
    Messages:
    68
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Germiston
    Azurekoi thats awesome, seems you got the bug i got.I have been experimenting with the moss for my paludarium. I got some anubias growing emersed,penny wort thats starting to look like a bed of lillies. Got a bunch of different ferns on the weekend one particular one i am quite excited about, you probally know it, the staghorn fern it grows flat on the ground.Also got a bunch of various airplants. Been struggling with the ground covers, peace in the home and some irish grass stuff. Been looking for different mosses aswell as a reed of sorts.Been trying a few 'land' mosses but know luck yet maybe now that we going into summer,I heard some have a dormant period. Gonna try the beer method with the moss just need to find a nice size clump of it.Also been thinking of messing around with lichens, i could go on forever...ha ha freak.I also need a bigger house.

    Wayne
     
  8. azurekoi

    azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,077
    Likes Received:
    61
    Location:
    Pretoria
    lol @wabba - yup, I absolutely love my little paludarium... dont know if youve seen it,but here's a link to my journal on it...http://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/s...ersion-1-testing-testing&highlight=paludarium

    Ive tried the terrestrial moss,with varied results....btw,the buttermilk way works much better than the beer method... Throw some buttermilk and a wad of mossi n blender and blits for a second or two...just paint it on and keep it humid and wet - stuff grows pretty soon... Peace in the home also didnt work for me...Creeping Jenny worked way too well - went totally bos!! Pity I dont have pics of that phase....lol
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  9. OP
    wabba

    wabba

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2011
    Messages:
    68
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Germiston
    I ment drink the beer and watch the moss grow lol
    I have had a look at your journal its very cool, I have got one similar size that started off as a terranium, no difficult plants or anything.
    Got a heating pad underneath it works wonders
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Quick cycle Forum Date
How to Quick Cycle your tank the easy way Beginner Discussions Feb 14, 2014
Quickest way to cycle tanks - all your suggestions will help General Discussions Apr 3, 2012
Quick Cycle? Planted Tanks Aug 31, 2010
API Quick Start - Instantly Add Fish Jungle Aquatics May 1, 2022
Cycling a fish tank quickly? Beginner Discussions Sep 7, 2019
Quick rescape Planted Tanks Nov 3, 2017
Quick question General Discussions Nov 28, 2015

Share This Page