Prehistoric Trilobites??

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Cheetah, Aug 23, 2010.

  1. Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    Some time ago, (in 1988) we had rain floods, and a water pan was created about 7 kilometers long by 3 kilometers wide and on average, about 5m deep.....

    In this dam, we found trillions of weird looking "things", which was later identified as "Triopses"... (through a local TV channel 50/50 by request)...

    [​IMG]

    I innitially thought they were the extinct "Triobites"

    [​IMG]

    I caught hundreds of these live, and put them in a tank, but they (being more than 3" in size) were immediately attacked by even the little fish (such as neon tetras) and the like.... (so I assumed they must be an excellent food source)

    We learnt later that their eggs remain dormant untill exposed to water & then they hatch within 24 hours....(like Brine shrimp eggs)

    Now, that water source has dried up, (4 years after the floods) and for the first time since 1987/8, I had the opportunity to return to the area, visiting my son who still lives in the area.....

    So obviously, I decided to get a bucket full of the sand from the borders of this "dam" as I remember it.

    When we got there though..... someone have in the meantime erected an electric fence around the area where I thought the water level rose to..... my son was not brave enough to test the fence.... (neither was I) and since we did not take a spade along.... I scooped some sand from the banks.... (more than 10m) above the (recalled) water level....

    I have a tank prepared for the sand and will be delighted if either the Triops or transparrent shrimps appears..... I do not feel very confident though, but let's see what happens.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    anybody out there seen these before??
     
  2. Guest




  3. Vis

    Vis Gerhard

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Messages:
    6,130
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    I have seen them before but years back and I can't remember where. I think it
    was on my uncles farm. We use to go and catch all kinds of stuff from a
    'Grond dam' there was some of these, leaches, frogs and stuff that looked
    like shrimp.
     
  4. Slojo

    Slojo

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2009
    Messages:
    2,115
    Likes Received:
    24
    Apparantly very much in breeding in Germany.You even get a Triops City.
     
  5. Vis

    Vis Gerhard

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Messages:
    6,130
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    O now I remember where I saw them recently. Was in the UK, you buy a small packet with some
    eggs and you could keep them as pets.
     
  6. OP
    Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    Well... I have in the meantime made friends with a guy (In Phoenix Arizona) who commercially breeds these, so If I have any success with my "random" sand sample... I'll call him to guide me along.
     
  7. Whipme

    Whipme Microsword

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2009
    Messages:
    928
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Centuion
    That's really cool, what size do they reach and what do they eat?
     
  8. BlackFly

    BlackFly

    Joined:
    May 12, 2010
    Messages:
    25
    Likes Received:
    0
    Can buy these at the mtn science center - in both CT (Canal Walk) and KZN (Gateway Mall). Don't know if there are any other science centers?
     
  9. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    If you walk into any MTN store... there's a science centre in the making! (Sorry.. couldn't resist that!)
     
  10. fishcrazy

    fishcrazy

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2009
    Messages:
    522
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Durban
    Hey guys sEeing that it looks like a crustacean,what's the input rgding it being on the blacklist or not
     
  11. Pistolshrimp

    Pistolshrimp

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2010
    Messages:
    214
    Likes Received:
    89
    Location:
    Midrand
    You sure the things offered for sale are not just general brine shrimp? These look very cool, would they be illegal cos they are local after all? Its amazing hw the eggs lay dormant for years and then come to life like nothings wrong
     
  12. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    It probably is... we'll wait for "someone" to report this thread before we close it
     
  13. fishcrazy

    fishcrazy

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2009
    Messages:
    522
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Durban
    BUT I would really like to get some
     
  14. eel

    eel

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2010
    Messages:
    63
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Somerset West, CT
    http://www.triops.com/
    There for sale in sa and doubt its illegal.
    whatever You do dont believe the website. They tell you that they can only live in a litre container. Thats not true! They also breed great in captivity. They just tell you this that they die quickly and you have to buy a new kit. Its all about the money for them.

    There are other good care sheets on the net.

    Also saw some on our farm.
     
  15. bitesize

    bitesize

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2012
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    I've ordered a hatching kit from Kalahari.com, doesn't seem illegal, any container with a nice depth and enough area for oxygen exchange is good enough. and they eat anything organic. a few places are selling hatching kits.
     

Recent Posts

Share This Page