PPM/ PH/ Water Softening - Whats yours?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Kribs, Jun 5, 2013.

  1. Kribs

    Kribs The betta connection

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2009
    Messages:
    239
    Likes Received:
    5
    Location:
    Karp Town
    Hi Guys I just wanted to get an idea of PPM and PH in your tanks.

    I have a 1 week old tank and it measures as follows.(No fish yet as i'm still working with the water quality.)

    TDS(Total Dissolved Salts) = 200ppm
    PH = 5.8

    I plan to go and take the measurements of the LFS water, where I intend to purchase German Blue Rams from. It might give me an idea of how I need to adapt my water quality.
    Does anybody make use of water softeners e.g peat pillows?
    All comments and recommendations are welcome...
     
  2. Guest




  3. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    I thought of using a water softening pillow in my tank, but with the volume (550L), and water changes I do (about 25% a week), the effictiveness would be used up quite quickly.
    So I didn't go that route in the end.
     
  4. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    Do not fight the water column ... plant, populate to its strengths .. most plants adapt over time, some fish not so much. In JHB I think we have liquid concrete flowing from our tap and things like ADA substrate that is a bit acid helps to improve on this. Dirk does his DSD that includes water conditioning for both slaapstadt and GP water types.

    Later Ferdie
     
  5. oscar freak

    oscar freak

    Joined:
    May 5, 2010
    Messages:
    3,655
    Likes Received:
    56
    Location:
    Kensington Jhb
    i'm using seachem to get my liquid concrete to its current ph of 6.5.no idea whats the tds though i'd love to know how the buffer affects it.considering going the RO way.
     
  6. PsyXe

    PsyXe

    Joined:
    May 16, 2012
    Messages:
    891
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    PTA
    If your pH is 5.8 just be happy and don't try to change anything. Your rams will love it. My pH, to give you an example, is about 8.
     
  7. OP
    Kribs

    Kribs The betta connection

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2009
    Messages:
    239
    Likes Received:
    5
    Location:
    Karp Town
    woah!! thats "Karate Water" @ PH = 8

    Thanks for all the input guys... :)
     
  8. Ryno

    Ryno Kenaal baber

    Joined:
    May 19, 2012
    Messages:
    4,022
    Likes Received:
    50
    Location:
    Pretoria
    potch hAve a ph of 9
     
  9. Alfiebadseed

    Alfiebadseed

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2013
    Messages:
    61
    Likes Received:
    25
    Used to be in Faerie Glen and the water was soft and had a pH of around 6.8 to 7.5. Now I am in Rooihuiskraal and it is at 8.5 :(
     
  10. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    @Ryno,

    And I thought my Ph of 7.8 was high!
    Our water comes from under ground anad filter through limestone, so the Kh is quite high too, and therefore the ph follows.

    Do you know why your ph is so high?
    Does the council add something to it?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  11. Ryno

    Ryno Kenaal baber

    Joined:
    May 19, 2012
    Messages:
    4,022
    Likes Received:
    50
    Location:
    Pretoria
    alot of chemicals. also limestone and dolomite rock. you even taste tge high ph in the water. not very good to drink
     
  12. Marco

    Marco Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    May 24, 2010
    Messages:
    2,015
    Likes Received:
    287
    Location:
    Waverley Pretoria
    Hi guys,

    I saw this thread and thought I'd just quickly say one or two things.

    Ph and water hardness. . . .the age old misunderstood concept.
    I'll try make a comparison to illustrate.

    "I'm thirsty because its a very hot day!"

    Though my above statement makes complete sense, it does not exclude the possibility that I can also be thirsty on a cold day, or that I can for that matter not be thirsty on a hot day.

    Ph and hardness is similar to the comparison, though it is generally accepted that harder water result in higher ph levels and vice versa. It is however possible to have hard water with a low ph.

    Hardness is divided into General- (gh) and Carbonate hardness (kh). In aquaria use it is generally expressed in either 'degrees' or as parts per million in total disolved solids. The latter refers to the amount of x mg dissolved in one litre of water.
    Kh which refers to the amount of calcium carbonate can be removed from water by either boiling the water, or by using peat, which acts as an "ion exchanger". Effectively the humic acids bind to the calcium carbonate and thus lowers the kh, BUT this also lowers the waters ability to buffer it against a ph drop. Kh in other words is responsible (in aquaria) for maintaining a stable ph.
    As a result of the nitrate cycle, acidic buildup in the aquarium over time result in a slow but steady drop in ph. If there is no Kh in the water, slow and steady becomes very quick, and a sudden drop in ph will result in the death of fish.
    General hardness refers to the amount of sulphates in the water (calcium-, magnesium- etc)
    Its not possible to remove these via peat or softening pillows, an RO filter is needed. Some deionising resins will exchange these with for example potassium, but this does not alter the tds, its just like taking all the salt out of water and replacing it with sugar.
    General hardness is what is referred to when fish need "soft" or "hard" water.

    I have now written too much already.
    The bottom line here though is-if a fish, such as Rams require "soft acidic water", it is of no help to use water softening pillows, ph adjusters etc. It might very well lower the ph, but it also increases the Tds, thus resulting in harder water, with a lower ph.
    Even filtering the water via peat will only result in a lower kh and ph, with no effect on gh.
    To have "soft water" RO or distilled water should be mixed with normal tap water to achieve the desired gh level. Once this is done care should be taken as to the waters buffering ability (kh) to avoid ph fluctuations.

    All things considered - if not experienced enough, just leave the water as is and keep fish that will adapt to it. Careless practices will just result in a bigger disaster than imperfect gh/kh/ph levels.

    Rgds

    Marco
     
  13. oscar freak

    oscar freak

    Joined:
    May 5, 2010
    Messages:
    3,655
    Likes Received:
    56
    Location:
    Kensington Jhb
    [​IMG]
    Discus Buffer
    Product Description
    Discus Buffer™ helps to replicate the ideal Discus environment (low pH & low GH (General Hardness)). Discus Buffer™ will lower pH and keep it lowered. Discus Buffer™ also softens water by precipitating calcium and magnesium. Use Discus Trace™ to restore the proper level of trace elements required by thriving, healthy Discus.

    Neutral Regulator™ and Discus Buffer™ can be used in combination to achieve a desired pH when performing water changes or adding top off water. The ratio chart below is designed for r/o water where there is generally no buffering capacity.
    Sizes: 50 g, 250 g, 500 g, 1 kg, 4 kg, 20 kg, 100 kg
    Directions
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Use 1 level teaspoon (7 g) for every 40-80 L (10-20 gallons*) daily until intended pH is reached. Thereafter, use once a month or with water changes as required to maintain pH. To raise pH, use Neutral Regulator™. To target a particular pH use in combination with Neutral Regulator™ following the chart below. This chart assumes the use of unbuffered water (RO or DI). If water is already buffered use the chart as a starting guide. Use Prime® to dechlorinate tap water before doing a water change.[/FONT]
     
  14. Marco

    Marco Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    May 24, 2010
    Messages:
    2,015
    Likes Received:
    287
    Location:
    Waverley Pretoria
    Hi Oscar freak -

    I'm not quite following your reason for posting the above?
    I take it is to prove my claims are wrong?

    What the discus buffer "description" does not explain properly, is that in the process of their claimed "precipitating" of calcium and magnesium, a replacement is left behind.
    This "replacement" is phosphates, in LARGE quantities!

    Feel free to test the results and see if adding these products will have any lowering effect on tds levels.
    Also take note that phosphates is the prime reason for algae growth, and with decomposing matter already resulting in increased phosphate levels-is it wise to add more phosphates to the aquarium for a percieved and "false" softening effect?

    One cannot add anything to soften water, one needs to remove to soften it.

    Rgds

    Marco
     
  15. OP
    Kribs

    Kribs The betta connection

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2009
    Messages:
    239
    Likes Received:
    5
    Location:
    Karp Town
    Hi Marco, thanks for the reply... While I don't think its Oscar Freaks intention to prove anybody wrong... he is just perhaps providing an example of products that maybe of use in an attempt to soften water.
    I completely understand what you are saying with regards to water softening and perhaps I should just try to accommodate it with the right kinds of fish in regards to the hardness.
     
  16. oscar freak

    oscar freak

    Joined:
    May 5, 2010
    Messages:
    3,655
    Likes Received:
    56
    Location:
    Kensington Jhb
    im no expert in this reguard and dont mean to prove anyone wrong,just showing what the people who make the stuff i use have to say.
    is this then a half truth or out and out lie.
     
  17. nicolaas

    nicolaas

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2013
    Messages:
    832
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Just outside of Tzaneen
    I use "boorgat" water that has a GH of 0-0.5 a ph of 5.8 and kh 2
    there is next to nothing in my water as it is so soft I have to buffer it a bit with river sand that increases my ph to 6.5 and general hardness to 3 and kh to 4
    I do this because the water is so soft that anything can make it spike and I don't want to lose fish. Marco also mentioned this in his first post.
     
  18. Marco

    Marco Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    May 24, 2010
    Messages:
    2,015
    Likes Received:
    287
    Location:
    Waverley Pretoria
    Hi @oscar freak

    I apologise if me asking if you want to prove my claims as wrong came across as me being an @&S. That was not intended.
    Its just that you posted the piece about Seachems product's without explaining why, the relevance etc. So obviously I have to make deductions as no clear intention was stated.

    You ask if the description is then an out and out lie, or a half truth?

    That depends on perspective.
    If you view water hardness strictly as dependant on levels of calcium and magnesium content, then its a half-truth.
    If you view hardness as the total amount of dissolved solids in the water. then its an out and out lie.
    If you run a simple test, with one liter of water -and you measure the tds of your tap water, you will get X reading. Then add this discus buffer, which adds phosphates to the water - and you will then get a reading >X.
    So how has the water become softer?

    This might be fine for certain fish - but then logic says, if increasing the tds of the water makes no difference to the fish being kept, then on the same principle - just leaving the water 'as is' wont affect them either. So why bother spending money and adding anything in the first place? Can you agree with this logic?
    For fish however which will prefer a low tds, adding this makes no sense at all-as illustrated above it will reult in a nett increase in tds levels.

    @nicolaas
    I suggest you recheck your water test readings. Gh is partially made up of kh - so its not really possible for you to have a kh level higher than a gh level. (this is also not meant disrespectfully)
    As to river sand increasing the kh levels - i suppose that one depends on the mineral content of the river sand. If no calcium carbonate is present, it will have no effect. But for that you need to test to be sure, and if you say it is having the effect you described, I wont question it and accept it as such. Normal river sand as commonly accepted will not have this effect however, as there is no Cal Carb present.
    At the same time again, using coral or shell to stabilise ph in soft water also has a nett effect on Tds levels. As the hydrogen ions bind to the Cal.Carb in the coral, it is "dissolved' in the water and increases the tds levels, thus increasing the hardness of the water.

    Hope it makes sense.

    Rgds

    Marco
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  19. oscar freak

    oscar freak

    Joined:
    May 5, 2010
    Messages:
    3,655
    Likes Received:
    56
    Location:
    Kensington Jhb
    no worries its all good,i should have elaborated just so busy here im typing between customers.
     
  20. nicolaas

    nicolaas

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2013
    Messages:
    832
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Just outside of Tzaneen
    I just saw my post very sorry @Marco I got mixed up with the gh and kh its the opposite what I posted

    I actually discovered that the river sand has a effect on my water as that it keeps the ph gh and kh stable, as before I put sand in my one tank my ph jumped between 5.5 and 6.5 and my gh and kh did not change.
    And when I added the sand the ph became stable and my overall hardness raised.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  21. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    @Marco,

    I was under the impression it was the kh that had a bigger impact on fish health, and not gh?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Water Softening Whats Forum Date
Some ideas or inspiration for larger aquarium water changes.... General Discussions Jun 18, 2026
Flow of clean RODI water too slow?? General Discussions Mar 27, 2026
Discover NT Labs | The Leaders in Fish Health and Water Testing Jungle Aquatics May 16, 2025
Freshwater vs. Saltwater Aquariums in SA: General Fish Discussions Mar 31, 2025
Recommended water changes ? Beginner Discussions Sep 12, 2024
Is buying RO/DI water a thing? Beginner Discussions Jul 9, 2023
Tap water PH - Edgemead Goodwood General Discussions May 29, 2023

Share This Page