Pool Filter Sand

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Singhms, Jun 1, 2011.

  1. Arrow Boy

    Arrow Boy

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    Messages:
    1,220
    Likes Received:
    206
    Location:
    Gauteng
    Hello,

    Ive heard that some people use pool filter sand as substrate in there tanks?

    Does anyone use this or know of this?

    Thanks,
     
  2. Guest




  3. mark d

    mark d

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2010
    Messages:
    379
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    swakopmund Namibia
    Yes I use it.
     
  4. mxz

    mxz

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2010
    Messages:
    508
    Likes Received:
    35
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Yes it's awesome. Also known as Silica sand.

    Available at Builders Warehouse.
     
  5. TropicalCool

    TropicalCool

    Joined:
    May 30, 2011
    Messages:
    19
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Roodepoort
    Yes I use it too. Its easy to clean cheap and looks good.
     
  6. OP
    Arrow Boy

    Arrow Boy

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    Messages:
    1,220
    Likes Received:
    206
    Location:
    Gauteng
    Thanks guys, How many mm Silica Sand are you using?
     
  7. TropicalCool

    TropicalCool

    Joined:
    May 30, 2011
    Messages:
    19
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Roodepoort
    Well mine is about 2cm at this stage because I am using PFP and I will be adding pleco's to the tank.
     
  8. The Hitman

    The Hitman in more ways than one!

    Joined:
    May 20, 2011
    Messages:
    54
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Rondebosch East
    Yeah, I have a fine grain silica sand in my tank. Pretty soon I am gonna change the substrate in my other tanks to the same type of silica
     
  9. oscar freak

    oscar freak

    Joined:
    May 5, 2010
    Messages:
    3,655
    Likes Received:
    56
    Location:
    Kensington Jhb
    A quick word of advice pleco+plant=no plants,plecos are also a bit of digger especially when they get big and they do quickly so expect ur pfp to be all over.OT sorry
     
  10. mydummyname

    mydummyname Balala shark

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2010
    Messages:
    2,302
    Likes Received:
    41
    Location:
    cape town
    how so dude?

    what does the pleco do to plants?
     
  11. oscar freak

    oscar freak

    Joined:
    May 5, 2010
    Messages:
    3,655
    Likes Received:
    56
    Location:
    Kensington Jhb
    hey vreet hom
     
  12. mydummyname

    mydummyname Balala shark

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2010
    Messages:
    2,302
    Likes Received:
    41
    Location:
    cape town
    lol makes perfect sense now :)

    does he eat any plants or jsut certain ones?
     
  13. TropicalCool

    TropicalCool

    Joined:
    May 30, 2011
    Messages:
    19
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Roodepoort
    Thats the reason for the 2cm and my PFP is another 4cm so goodluck to the pleco which can dig 6cm.
     
  14. oscar freak

    oscar freak

    Joined:
    May 5, 2010
    Messages:
    3,655
    Likes Received:
    56
    Location:
    Kensington Jhb
    Common Pleco, [FONT=&quot]Pterygoplichthys[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]pardalis[/FONT]

    [FONT=&quot][​IMG][/FONT]

    Another immensely popular fish, most often sold as a 'cleaner fish' for tropical and coldwater tanks, as well as ponds. A lot of people are unaware of the potential size, where these guys have the potential to reach around the 35cm mark. Their relatives, high-fin plecos, can reach about 45cm. These fish can put out a lot of waste, especially since they eat largely vegetable matter.

    6cm aint a thing lol
     
  15. Big G

    Big G Apisto Nutz!!!

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2008
    Messages:
    2,508
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Cape Town
    I also use PFS, but ended up struggling to find any fine enough to use. Everywhere around here only had stuff with larger grain sizes, which were too big for my Apistogramma's, so I ended up sourcing my own! Now, whenever I need any finer sand, I go straight to my source, and usually whilst I'm there grab a few extra bags, just to help out other guys on the forums who are struggling to find finer stuff.

    The only down side I've heard of, but not experienced, to using PFS is that it can become aenerobic. This is not so good for the plant roots, amongst other issues around this?

    As I say though, I have not experienced this issue, and have always found it fine.

    I also use the PFP under the sand, and then cap off the PFP to a depth of 5cm ish total. So that works out around 2-4cm of sand deep.

    Cheers
    G!
     
  16. TropicalCool

    TropicalCool

    Joined:
    May 30, 2011
    Messages:
    19
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Roodepoort
    Well I have him in the tank now no prob he is about 25cm and all plants in tact, must be a carnivore then lol
     
  17. OP
    Arrow Boy

    Arrow Boy

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    Messages:
    1,220
    Likes Received:
    206
    Location:
    Gauteng
    Sorry for my dumb question, are you guys saying that you mix the pool filter sand\silica sand with PFP or are they the same thing?
     
  18. tracyp

    tracyp Lotus

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2010
    Messages:
    1,619
    Likes Received:
    31
    Location:
    Stanford, Western Cape
  19. Milamber

    Milamber

    Joined:
    May 30, 2011
    Messages:
    91
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Pretoria
    I'm planning on using that, how much does it cost for the finer sand. don't want it to be too gravel like?
     
  20. Morbus

    Morbus

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2011
    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    0
    last i saw it was about R40 for a huge bag full - 40kgs i think

    it works very well in the tank - but like all gravel, be sure to wash it out very well first. there is ALOT of dust in there.
    i found that out the hard way, Lol :)

    oh, and it comes in different sizes
    there is a "sand" one which i have
    and i have seen a gravelly kind, about 4mm i would guess

    I have a HUGE 30+cm pleco and he doesnt seem to dig . . .
    anyone want him? Lol :)
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Pool Filter Sand Forum Date
Pool filter/black diamond sand Planted Tank Planted Tanks Jul 21, 2020
Bluechem Pool Filter Sand - is it safe? General Discussions Nov 26, 2019
Wanted: Pool Filter Sand to Spare Wanted/Swop/Freebies May 5, 2019
Pool filter sand reef? General Discussions Mar 6, 2019
Wanted: Pool filter sand to spare Wanted/Swop/Freebies Oct 21, 2018
Wanted: Need some pool filter sand Wanted/Swop/Freebies Oct 13, 2017
Play bed sand not filter pool sand Planted Tanks Jun 15, 2017

Share This Page