pleco colour

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Dale-CT, Feb 11, 2018.

  1. Dale-CT

    Dale-CT

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2017
    Messages:
    84
    Likes Received:
    22
    Location:
    Southern Suburbs, Cape Town
    Morning all,

    Please can someone advise why a pleco would change colour? Situation is like this;

    I got 2 from the same LFS about 6 months ago - practically identical, both almost black in colour (see first picture). They have been in the tank with a bunch of tetras and mollies for a while and their colour has been consistent.

    My daughter recently started a guppie tank and I moved one of the pleco's in there, and it has changed to a much lighter brown (2nd picture). Is also growing noticeably faster than the other one.
    Feeding, water specs, water changes, etc is the same for both tanks. Filter / bacteria for new tank was 'seeded' from the main tank. The only real difference is that the 1st tank has black gravel and the guppy tank has white gravel.

    So, why would it change colour? and should I be worried?
    Lastly, I think that these are Common Plecos - can anyone confirm this?




    IMG_0566.jpg


    IMG_0575.jpg
     
  2. Guest




  3. pierreschoonraad

    pierreschoonraad

    Joined:
    May 6, 2016
    Messages:
    999
    Likes Received:
    843
    I think the reason why it changed color is to blend in with it's suroundings. Seeing that these guys grow huge I will suggest that you rather return them to the lfs and swop for ancistrus which will do a better job and cleaning the tank and they will stay way smaller

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
     
    Nirv likes this.
  4. Nirv

    Nirv Trachelyopterus

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2010
    Messages:
    466
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Cape Town southern suburbs
    Agreed with Pierre. Many fish are able to lighten or darken their colour to some degree to blend in to their surrounds. Some can change patterns and hue to a larger degree, e.g. cichlids.

    I am also in agreement about the fish tank size and Plecos - the common variety you have there grow very large and will outgrow the tanks. Ancistrus (bristle noses), Otocinclus (Ottos) and a few others stay smaller and do the same job. Unfortunately Plecos are the go-to for algae duty and they're really not the best option if you care for their well-being, and most fish shops will not tell you this.
     
    pierreschoonraad likes this.
  5. JasonLee27

    JasonLee27

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2018
    Messages:
    21
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Alberton
    Hi there.

    You dont have to worry about anything, Personally I think Plecos change within their surroundings, they're bottom dwellers and are vulnerable to other fish, (not saying you're housing anything dangerous for the little guy) but I'm sure you catch the drift.

    I have a malawi setup with a BN pleco that was pitch black the day I bought her, about a month later she was half the colour from when I bought her home, I bought her other tank mate as well which was identical and put her in my community tank and she didn't change at all, she is still pitch black

    I think it's just a territorial thing amongst the plecs. I could be wrong.

    But I say there's absolutely nothing to be worried about.

    Good luck!



    Sent from my LG-M400 using Tapatalk
     
  6. OP
    Dale-CT

    Dale-CT

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2017
    Messages:
    84
    Likes Received:
    22
    Location:
    Southern Suburbs, Cape Town
    Thanks for all the replies. Glad to hear all is well.

    Will take the combined advice and return to the LFS and replace with BN.
     
  7. Lorinza

    Lorinza

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2017
    Messages:
    79
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Vaal, Vanderbijlpark
    My pleco goes lighter when she's stressed.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - pleco colour Forum Date
Sailfin pleco Changing Colours General Discussions Feb 24, 2018
Sailfin Pleco Patches of Fading colour Diseases Jun 3, 2013
Swop: Red mosaic dumbo ear trio for neon tetras or albino bristlnose pleco Wanted/Swop/Freebies Feb 21, 2025
Freebie: Common plecos Wanted/Swop/Freebies Nov 2, 2024
Starlight plecos L183 General Discussions Sep 10, 2024
Starlight plecos Community Tanks Feb 27, 2024
Aquatic Royalty Alert! Unveiling the Exotic Pleco Collection at Jungle Aquatics! Jungle Aquatics Jun 11, 2023

Share This Page