Please ID

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by The_Fish_Guy, Sep 1, 2012.

  1. The_Fish_Guy

    The_Fish_Guy

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2012
    Messages:
    72
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    East Rand
    Hi All

    I hope you can be off assistance. I purchased the following little fish yesterday.

    Can anyone please ID this little guy so I can google it up for info or if anyone can give any information regarding on what to feed would be greatly appreciated.

    My apologies for this bad cellphone pic.

    Many thanks

    The_Fish_Guy

    IMAG0393.jpg
     
  2. Guest




  3. jpvd007

    jpvd007 Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2011
    Messages:
    1,040
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Dunsborough, Westen Australia
    Looks like a albino SAE
     
  4. Ryno

    Ryno Kenaal baber

    Joined:
    May 19, 2012
    Messages:
    4,022
    Likes Received:
    50
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Not a SAE i think. :) had a few of these guys before. They get agro. CAE maybe
     
  5. KillerBunny

    KillerBunny

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2012
    Messages:
    182
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Krugersdorp
    My first impression was also CAE.

    How many barbels does it have?
     
  6. scotty

    scotty

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2010
    Messages:
    254
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    George
    Hi all,for the sake of any newcomers let us rather use the full names rather than abbreviations! Siamese algae eater rather than SAE.
     
  7. Anine

    Anine

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2011
    Messages:
    421
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Pretoria
    albino chinese algae eater, see the sucker mouth?
    not a good fish for the community tank, i would take it back.

    @scotty, the forum recognises certain abbreviations, so if you hover your mouse cursor over a green abbreviation like SAE or CAE, then it will show you the meaning
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  8. scotty

    scotty

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2010
    Messages:
    254
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    George
    How does a newcomer know this! It is fine for you and I and others who have been around some time. Unfortunately the world has become a place of abbreviations.
     
  9. Firefly

    Firefly Pleco

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2010
    Messages:
    2,333
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    East London
    That's an albino Chinese algae eater. Great for cleaning up ulgae when food is scarce but can become lazy as it gets bigger. It is also know to suck slime and scales off of other flatter fish. HTH
     
  10. OP
    The_Fish_Guy

    The_Fish_Guy

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2012
    Messages:
    72
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    East Rand
    Hi All, thanks for this info, Yesterday my Neons started dying out and I saw one of them the eyes were actually eaten out, so yesterday afternoon I glanced on this page and when I read that this fish is not a good community fish and that eats the slime of the other fish I suspected this fish, so I took it out for and back to the fish shop I bought It from. I was scared that it will kill my other fish. My other Neons are fine now... thanks for the heads up guys, sorry for only replying now.
     
  11. Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    @The_Fish_Guy - What fish do you have in this tank? Just trying to make sure it was the CAE and not one of your other tank mates that sucked the eyes out.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  12. OP
    The_Fish_Guy

    The_Fish_Guy

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2012
    Messages:
    72
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    East Rand
    @MarcHawke Ive got 5 Guppies, 2 Dwarf gouramies and now 2 Neons at the moment.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  13. Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    @The_Fish_Guy - I had a dead harlequin that had had it's eyes removed. The rest of the fish was fine (other than being dead). I assume it was my Gouramis? Are your gouramis male/female?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  14. OP
    The_Fish_Guy

    The_Fish_Guy

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2012
    Messages:
    72
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    East Rand
    Maybe bud, I don't know, I had 6 Neons, since removing this algea eater the other two Neons survied... so im not sure


    Ive got two male gouramis, the only tend to bother each other and leave the other fish alone.
     
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  15. Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Probably the CAE/SAE then. I'm not sure what did it in my tank.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Please Forum Date
Guppy breeding and selection guidelines needed please. Breeding Feb 14, 2025
Fish ID needed please ID Needed Jan 31, 2025
Fish Suggestions for tank fish please Species Tanks Oct 3, 2024
Bad advise please help New members Sep 16, 2024
Angelfish Id please ID Needed Jun 9, 2024
Help with Co2 solenoid tubing adapters please! General Equipment discussion Feb 28, 2024
Please help ID these plants. Aquatic plants Feb 12, 2024

Share This Page