Please help

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by WMDavies, May 20, 2014.

  1. WMDavies

    WMDavies

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2011
    Messages:
    90
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Hillcrest, Kzn
    Hi guys. I have a Juwel Rio 240 litre tank with an upgraded lighting on 4 x 54watt lights with reflectors. I run a 2lt co2 bottle with saga regulator at 3bps and add full seachem range being iron, flourish comprehensive, trace, excel, nitrogen, potassium & phosphorous. I also have fluorite black gravel from seachem. I run my co2 and lights for 8 hours a day but seem to get this constant green algae on glass and brown algae all over my hairgrass.

    I have 8 otocinclis in my tank to clean algae ands scrape glass clean every week and also do 30% water change once a week but it just keeps coming back. I thought brown algae was due to too little light? I have had my co2 tank up & running for about a month now and get constant pearling. I also updated my 600 litre per hour pump that came with the tank to a 1000 litre per hour pump.

    I dont mind cleaning off the green algae on glass but the brown algae can be quite unsightly on hairgrass.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2014
  2. Guest




  3. OP
    WMDavies

    WMDavies

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2011
    Messages:
    90
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Hillcrest, Kzn
    Sorry a bit of a delay with my copy & paste. See it posted 3 times...
     
  4. dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban
    Hi. I am not a plant expert but have kept planted tanks. Firstly, how long has the tank been running? How long do you keep your lights on for.

    Try cutting down your light time and see how that goes. Another trick is to get some hydrogen peroxide mix it in to a spray bottle with some water before you do a water change. Then spray the affected areas a little at a time and aelgee will be gone over time. Do not spray the hole tank in one go. Remember you cannot keep the solution wants you have mixed it as it desolves over 24 hours. Remember this is a quick fix and the reall issue with regards to the balance of the tank still has to be addressed.

    As far as I know this has no impact on the fish but do at your own risk.
    Sorry about the errors in this post I am using an I phone in the car.
     
  5. Caudelia

    Caudelia

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2013
    Messages:
    789
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    durban
    besides the 8 hours the tank lights are on for does the tank get any direct sunlight?
     
  6. sub-lime

    sub-lime Somethings Fishy...

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2013
    Messages:
    813
    Likes Received:
    50
    Location:
    Roodekrans
    Howsit,

    Try cut down lighting to 6.5Hrs, Dose Phosphorus weekly - follow dosing instructions; this will take about 2 weeks to see good results.
    I would split that 30% WC to 2x 20% ( Wednesday and Sunday)

    As dash said Hydrogen Peroxide will kill off the algae but spray it directly on the plant /glass if you can. Turn off the filters and stop anything that makes water movement and then spray.
    Use a blade to scrape off the rest of the green spot on the glass but beware that it can easily scratch your tank.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Please help Forum Date
Bad advise please help New members Sep 16, 2024
Help with Co2 solenoid tubing adapters please! General Equipment discussion Feb 28, 2024
Please help ID these plants. Aquatic plants Feb 12, 2024
Goldfish Experts Please Help ID Needed Aug 27, 2023
Disease Identification Help Please Diseases Mar 4, 2022
Please help identify the illness General Fish Discussions Jan 21, 2022
Fish ID please help ID Needed Sep 16, 2021

Share This Page