PLEASE Help with my Rope Fish :(

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Aqua, Jun 27, 2012.

  1. Aqua

    Aqua Discus

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Hi Everyone,

    I was feeding my fish in the main tank now now, and when it came time to feed with the lights off for the nocternal fish, I was looking for my rope fish, and then realised he was in the overflow box on the filter wool... I thought the worst and frantically got the air grate out and reached for him with a net and he was still alive, so I put him back in the water but he is not looking that great, and also, unless I am mistaken, it appears that his gills are completely closed with skin (trying to describe it as best I can)... could this be due to him being out of the water, do they adapt, I know they can survive out of water for about 8 hours, but does anything change iro their gills when this happens? I have been trying to look at videos on the net of Rope Fish to see if I am losing my marbles of if his gills do look different now, and I came across this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geJLh9n8KFs&feature=related which clearly shows the gills are not completely attached, as is now the case with mine in this video where you can see he is clearly battling to breathe to the point that his eye looks indented as if his head is swollen....:cry:

    Does anyone know what is happening and what I can do? please? I have and am still searching the internet for information, but have not found much as yet, and since there are so many knowledgeable people here on TASA, I am hoping someone can help :cry: I alrealy lost the other rope fish while I was in JHB at the expo - he also got into the overflow box but all the way into the sump and didnt make it :( problem is I am using perspex on that side of the tank to accomodate the inlet as 2 pieces of glass broke due to a part being cut out creating a weak spot, so this was the next best option. It bends after a few days and I have to turn it around to bend back and this is how it goes over and over, so it's not possible to keep it completely covered at all times, not matter how hard I try. I will be thinking of another option here to avoid this happening again ofcourse.

    I hope someone can help or has experienced something like this and can tell me what to do and if he is going to be ok...

    Thanks so much
    Candice
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2016
  2. Guest




  3. OP
    Aqua

    Aqua Discus

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Oh and he is also not moving much, he would usually move if someone came close, be it a person at the tank or another fish, but he is just staying where he is struggling to breathe...
     
  4. Skye01

    Skye01

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2011
    Messages:
    1,273
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Rynfield, Benoni. GP
    @Aqua, I'm so sorry to hear about this mishap with your ropefish. I, unfortunately, can't offer much advice as I don't know too much about them, but I do hope that he will be ok...
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  5. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    @Aqua,

    Sorry to hear about the Rope Fish.
    I would treat the water with some sort of anti-fungal/anti bacterial treatment to try and prevent secondary infection. Otherwise all you can do is give it clean, well oxygenated water.

    Btw, Rope Fish do better in groups. When they are kept singly, they tend to go looking for more of their kind, and they end up in places they are not supposed to, often on the carpet outside the tank!
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  6. OP
    Aqua

    Aqua Discus

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Thanks Skye, appreciate it :) He is still alive this morning but still not himself... will keep an eye on him closely today.
     
  7. OP
    Aqua

    Aqua Discus

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Thanks @Reedfish, I had 2 of them (are you suggesting I need to have more than 2 and if so how many?), but as mentioned the one passed away while I was at the expo, also due to being an escape artist..I would replace him but I have not seen any available for a while around my area...

    I will do as you have suggested and treat with a general treatment (my preference would be Bio-Elite) and see how it goes. Thanks again... Candice
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  8. MHD

    MHD

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2012
    Messages:
    59
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    Fingers crossed he makes it through..

    From my limited knowledge of rope fish I think they do best in groups of 5 to 6.
     
  9. mydummyname

    mydummyname Balala shark

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2010
    Messages:
    2,302
    Likes Received:
    41
    Location:
    cape town
    hi @Aqua, i have very little experience with this, but i would suggest my cure all, daily 10% water changes for a week.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  10. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    @Aqua.

    I have 4, and have never had any of them go "wandering".

    Hope yours pulls through.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  11. OP
    Aqua

    Aqua Discus

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Thanks @mydummyname
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  12. OP
    Aqua

    Aqua Discus

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Cape Town

    Thanks @Reedfish, I will phone around and see if anyone has stock of Rope Fish, hopefully I can source another 3...
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  13. OP
    Aqua

    Aqua Discus

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Cape Town
    @Reedfish, sorry can you please clear something up for me. On their gills, does that part open or is it closed with skin? I seem to recall that it was open, but may be mistaken, please clear that up for me, thanks!
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  14. OP
    Aqua

    Aqua Discus

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Thank you @MHD, I hope so too :)
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  15. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    @Aqua,
    I am at work, so don't have my fish in front of me :laugh:
    But if I remember, the gill covers look the same as most fish.

    If there is some damage to the gill cover on your fish, hopefully it will heal.
    As I said, plenty of fresh water, and maybe preventative medication and it will hopefully come through.
    The poor fish is probably just in shock from it's adventure. :amazed:

    I would also leave the lights off in the tank for a day or two.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  16. OP
    Aqua

    Aqua Discus

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Hi @Reedfish,

    What I was trying to explain is that there is nothing damaged on the gills, it is as if a the skin is closed around the gill and I can't recall it being that way. I have now found out (thanks @Altum) that when surviving out of water, these fish create a mucous membrane around the gills to aid breathing out of water... this mucous layer then has to separate or disolve (for want of a better word) once in water again... I have noticed that the bottom of the gill slit is starting to separate now, so I think he should be fine :) This is what was stressing me out, I was not sure why it was closed and if it was meant to be and if it would come back to normal, thanks for all the help everyone :)
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  17. Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    @Aqua - Try the LFS in Bergvliet (PM if you don't know the one I'm refering to :smile1:). I think they had rope fish the last time I was there.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  18. mydummyname

    mydummyname Balala shark

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2010
    Messages:
    2,302
    Likes Received:
    41
    Location:
    cape town
    @Aqua, glad you got some info to help you, fantastic stuff from @Altum, i suspected @azurekoi or @Altum would be some of the few people who might be able to assist you in this.

    i would still suggest the 10% daily water changes for a week. pristine water conditions will help tremendously to help the little guy cope with the stress. keep us updated please :)
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  19. mydummyname

    mydummyname Balala shark

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2010
    Messages:
    2,302
    Likes Received:
    41
    Location:
    cape town
    @MarcHawke i saw some there too about a week ago.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  20. OP
    Aqua

    Aqua Discus

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Thanks Everyone :) I called and they said they have, but I am just waiting for one @Altum to get back to me on availability which is my first option :)
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  21. mattie

    mattie

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2010
    Messages:
    786
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Aquatic Vission in Brackenfell have some
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - PLEASE Help Rope Forum Date
Bad advise please help New members Sep 16, 2024
Help with Co2 solenoid tubing adapters please! General Equipment discussion Feb 28, 2024
Please help ID these plants. Aquatic plants Feb 12, 2024
Goldfish Experts Please Help ID Needed Aug 27, 2023
Disease Identification Help Please Diseases Mar 4, 2022
Please help identify the illness General Fish Discussions Jan 21, 2022
Fish ID please help ID Needed Sep 16, 2021

Share This Page