Please help Uncle Jack !

Discussion in 'Anything DIY related' started by Trevor Pleco, Apr 1, 2011.

  1. Trevor Pleco

    Trevor Pleco

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2010
    Messages:
    470
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Klein Constantia, Cape
    One of my favourite fish fondly called uncle Jack, faces a terrible conundrum..

    He’s grown so rapidly over the years, I literally can’t get him out of the tank. I’ve made a DIY glass ramp and pulley system as an escape route, as seen in the picture, but he refuses to budge. I’ve even tried placing a cute female Dempsey on the other side of the glass, but he just has a blank expression on his face and refuses to move across. I thought of trying to quickly strip the silicone off one of the sides or perhaps smash a hole with a golf club or hammer and quickly free him, but fear I may then injure him !

    As the days go by Uncle Jack gets bigger and bigger, as does the problem..

    Any advice from the DIY experts would be most welcome by both of us, but we need to move quickly as Jack's time is near !

    jack dempsy.jpg

    jack dempsy.jpg
     
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  2. Guest




  3. tracyp

    tracyp Lotus

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2010
    Messages:
    1,619
    Likes Received:
    31
    Location:
    Stanford, Western Cape
    April Fools! AGAIN! Good try!
     
  4. Firefly

    Firefly Pleco

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2010
    Messages:
    2,333
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    East London
    Oooh, it could be. Have you tried pushing him out with something?!
     
  5. OP
    Trevor Pleco

    Trevor Pleco

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2010
    Messages:
    470
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Klein Constantia, Cape
    Wish Jack thought it was a joke, perhaps I should have rather posted this tomorrow for a better and kinder response..

    Firefly, thanks for your concerns, I can't get enough access anywhere to push anything through and have also tried the light in the tunnel trick, but to no avail ..
     
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  6. Firefly

    Firefly Pleco

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2010
    Messages:
    2,333
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    East London
    And if you broke the siphon causing him to be sucked out?
     
  7. AquaS

    AquaS

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2010
    Messages:
    307
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Goodwood, CPT
    Do you maybe have a photo of the bigger picture? How it all connects together. Then maybe we can help.
     
  8. OP
    Trevor Pleco

    Trevor Pleco

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2010
    Messages:
    470
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Klein Constantia, Cape
    Ok here goes, this is the section where the other pair mainly swim, but the tank starts in the other room, but I will only be able to take a pic when my tenant gets back this evening..Trevor's tank, lounge section.jpg

    Trevor's tank, lounge section.jpg
     
  9. Firefly

    Firefly Pleco

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2010
    Messages:
    2,333
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    East London
    OT, that is so COOL! what about siphon idea?
     
  10. tracyp

    tracyp Lotus

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2010
    Messages:
    1,619
    Likes Received:
    31
    Location:
    Stanford, Western Cape
    gosh, sorry Trevor & Jack! I offer most abject apologies! Hope some-one more experienced can help out...
     
  11. AquaS

    AquaS

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2010
    Messages:
    307
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Goodwood, CPT
    I also thought about the siphon idea, but the problem is if you let the water out too quickly the fish can end up high and dry in the middle of the tunnel. It is not as if you can quickly fill it up again. (That is why I asked for the bigger picture.)

    So you will have to let the water out very slowly and hope that the fish will move to the area with the most water all the time. This will cost a lot of coordination and is not going to be easy.

    Is there maybe any way that you can push a flexible pipe like 'n hose pipe in the one end and get the fish to move to the other end?
     
  12. OP
    Trevor Pleco

    Trevor Pleco

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2010
    Messages:
    470
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Klein Constantia, Cape
    The tank works on a kind of tidal electrolysis basis, but Aquazoo knows the process and chemistry better than me. The problem is I have no longer household insurance, as it once leaked badly in the lounge and over the Hifi system when I was away when Murphy decided to have a power cut ! I therefore can't risk going for the suction/siphon method as you sugest. The other nightmare with letting air into the system is ongoing green glass and then the patience required with maneuvering the magnetic scraper with a ladder and into the tenant's section when he has guests..

    Anyway I am getting away from Jack’s dilemma, heaven help him. As you might see from the first pic he seems to be making a bubble nest, but thought only anabantids did that or he's running out of air ! !
     
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  13. OP
    Trevor Pleco

    Trevor Pleco

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2010
    Messages:
    470
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Klein Constantia, Cape
    Sorry about the delay, I just managed to grab a pic on my tenant’s side of the other section leading down to the ground zero and the holding tank. As a rule I don’t like to take shots at night with a flash, as some of the fish can spook and hurtle down the main corridor at seriously dangerous speeds and I’m only dealing with 8 to 10mm glass here with no end buffers.

    Jack seems to be listing and swaying from side to side now, so I urgently need to move quickly and make some final decisions..

    main section to holding tank.jpg

    main section to holding tank.jpg
     
  14. mxz

    mxz

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2010
    Messages:
    508
    Likes Received:
    35
    Location:
    Cape Town
  15. OP
    Trevor Pleco

    Trevor Pleco

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2010
    Messages:
    470
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Klein Constantia, Cape
    Yea finally... and I guess it's almost midnight and we have at last moved on to another day. Anyway thanks or all the prayers, thoughts, ingenious solutions and pm'ed condolences!

    Jack.

    Jack rip.jpg





    imagesCAOMI42A.jpg

    Jack rip.jpg
     
  16. OP
    Trevor Pleco

    Trevor Pleco

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2010
    Messages:
    470
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Klein Constantia, Cape

    Jokes aside, this is really an extraordinary invention and worth a ponder ..
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Please help Uncle Forum Date
Bad advise please help New members Sep 16, 2024
Help with Co2 solenoid tubing adapters please! General Equipment discussion Feb 28, 2024
Please help ID these plants. Aquatic plants Feb 12, 2024
Goldfish Experts Please Help ID Needed Aug 27, 2023
Disease Identification Help Please Diseases Mar 4, 2022
Please help identify the illness General Fish Discussions Jan 21, 2022
Fish ID please help ID Needed Sep 16, 2021

Share This Page