Please help ID these Discus

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by Aqua, Jun 23, 2012.

  1. Aqua

    Aqua Discus

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Hi Everyone,

    Please help me ID these discus, have been searching forums, google etc and cant seem to find them, except for the 1st one which a thread on Philippine Discus Society states is a Calico/Nebula Discus, but I would like to be sure, and would appreciate your help :) Thank you!


    1. Calico or Nebula Discus.jpg

    2. New Addition June.jpg

    3. IMG_3666.jpg

    Kind Regards,
    Candice

    Calico or Nebula Discus.jpg

    New Addition June.jpg

    IMG_3666.jpg
     
  2. Guest




  3. spock rider

    spock rider discus

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2009
    Messages:
    223
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Northcliff, JHB
    So may different names for these

    1 could me calico/ghost/butterfly
    2 red turquoise
    3 pigeon blood

    But I am sure others will have different names

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
     
  4. OP
    Aqua

    Aqua Discus

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Thanks spock rider! Much appreciated :)
     
  5. Marco

    Marco Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    May 24, 2010
    Messages:
    2,015
    Likes Received:
    287
    Location:
    Waverley Pretoria
    Hi @Aqua

    I think
    1. Is a White diamond, not a Calico.
    3. Looks like (wait for this ludicrous naming) Pigeon blood Leopard Snakeskin. Thats what it looks like, could be wrong,
    Im not too clued up on the newer Pigeon blood strain namings. Apart from that all these new names for all manner of varietys are also getting way past crazy now.

    Marco
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  6. jpvd007

    jpvd007 Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2011
    Messages:
    1,040
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Dunsborough, Westen Australia
    If that is a pigion blood leopard snakeskin then that is going to be a stunning fish the older it gets.
     
  7. PsyXe

    PsyXe

    Joined:
    May 16, 2012
    Messages:
    891
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    PTA
    Lovely fish! If we're talking ludicrous naming, could the red turq be the "scribble" pattern? I've been trying to figure out strain names online, and coming to the conclusion that there's no logic involved at all :worried:
     
  8. OP
    Aqua

    Aqua Discus

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Hi Marco,

    Thanks for the info, I think you are right, I googled White Diamond Discus and tons come up that look identical to mine :)

    As for the Pigeoun Blood Leopard Snakeskin, I thought it would have something to do with leopard snakeskin as again, pics I have seen online lean towards that, but then I wasn't sure if the snakeskin part meant something else..lol.... it is indeed very confusing, so I am very grateful to everyone for their input.

    Kind Regards,
    Candice
     
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  9. OP
    Aqua

    Aqua Discus

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Thanks PsyXe, going to google the 'scribble pattern' now. I am very curious :)

    I found this page which was very helpful for the most part... http://www.pds.ph/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=859 - If I am not allowed to put this link here, please remove this post.. I just found it so informative I would like to share it :)

    Candice
     
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  10. PsyXe

    PsyXe

    Joined:
    May 16, 2012
    Messages:
    891
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    PTA
    Thanks so much for the link @Aqua, it looks very useful. I'm having fun researching strains.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  11. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    Lovely fish. Especially No 2.
     
  12. OP
    Aqua

    Aqua Discus

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Thanks @Reedfish, I was eyeing number 2 out for a while, glad he was still there when I was ready... he is quite fiesty! Glad you enjoying it as much as I am @PsyXe :)
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  13. OP
    Aqua

    Aqua Discus

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Ok great, so I managed to charge the battery of my olympus and read the manual enough to take these shots which are much better :)

    1.Full shot white diamond.jpg


    2. PB, RT, RB, rams and corys.jpg



    3. PBLS 4.jpg

    Thanks,
    Candice

    Full shot white diamond.jpg

    PB, RT, RB, rams and corys.jpg

    PBLS 4.jpg
     
  14. Marco

    Marco Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    May 24, 2010
    Messages:
    2,015
    Likes Received:
    287
    Location:
    Waverley Pretoria
    Hi @Aqua

    Much better pics and now Im more certain its a white diamond, and also more convinced of the Pigeon blood LSS

    I browsed at the link, and yes its usefull, with one exception. Im not one to split hairs but if you are doing this to learn then Im sure you want the right info.

    The poster described what he called "Leopard Snake" and then in brackets put 9 bar. He then went ahead explaining it was arrived at by crossing Red turq with Red spotted green.
    It is exactly how they went about creating the Leopard strain yes, not the leopard snake though.
    Snakeskin is a mutation in which all pattern and barring on the fish became finer and less "organised". It was thus not created by crossing as such. All Snakeskins have more than the normal 9 bars and their striations and spots are finer.
    Later the Leopard skin was crossed with a Snakeskin creating a Leopard Snakeskin, which was fine tuned and eventually became the Eruption which has fine spots covering up to 100% of the body region.


    Snakeskins however never breed "true" and this has thus far proven to be genetically closed off. In other words no matter how much inbreeding, crossing etc is done, the strain will never be "fixed" per say. Interestingly though, breeding Snakeskins always result in a 50/50 split. 50% of the fry will be the snakeskin variant, and 50% will be the 9 bar variant. To put this in perspective, If you breed a pair of Red Snakeskins for instance, 50% of the fry will be Red snakeskin, and 50% will be red Turq, (the original strain from which RED ss was created)

    Some call those 9 bar variants "intermediates" but its not, there is no such thing really. That would suggest selective breeding would at some stage result in SS fry which it doesnt. Breeding the resulting Red Turq from such a spawn to each other would result in all fry being Red Turq like, with no SS.

    I dont know if you wanted to know all that or if it makes sense, but there it is.

    Rgds

    Marco
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  15. Marco

    Marco Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    May 24, 2010
    Messages:
    2,015
    Likes Received:
    287
    Location:
    Waverley Pretoria
    Hi

    Im not sure if you have ever seen a puc of an Eruption.
    I attach this one for you to drool over-
    This type is called Spider face Eruption and this specific one is bred by the german breeder Oswald Hanke. Its his pics, hope he doesnt mind me sharing. . .

    cache_2411580302.jpeg

    If you look closely you will note spotting even on the lips of some Of these ridiculously named Discus

    Rgds

    Marco

    cache_2411580302.jpeg
     
  16. spock rider

    spock rider discus

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2009
    Messages:
    223
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Northcliff, JHB
    Hi Candice

    Who is hiding out behind the intake in the corner of pic 2?

    Cobus Hebbert
     
  17. OP
    Aqua

    Aqua Discus

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Thanks @Marco, I am definately trying to learn and I really appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me :) very interesting I must say! so lets say the PBLSS and the PB had to breed, what would the fry be? They may be pairing up or otherwise they just like each other a lot lol... the PBLSS fights with anyone that comes near the PB, and the PB has the odd nip at the others on occassion, however they never fight with each other and they are always together, here is a nice pic of the two of them together :)

    Love birds 2.jpg I sure hope they pair up :)

    The PB seems to rule the roost, but the PBLSS is definately the more dominant one compared to the rest, then the newcomer, the RT challenges the PBLSS and the Cobalt blue also fights back these days, which I am glad about as he seems to be the most bullied. Do you know how long it takes for them to establish the pecking order? I have read anywhere from 1 - 3 weeks, but it can start up again as the pecking order changes... would appreciate your input on this subject, thanks!

    Kind Regards,
    Candice

    Love birds 2.jpg
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  18. OP
    Aqua

    Aqua Discus

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Hi @Marco,

    Wow!! now thats beautiful!

    Thanks for all the info :) much appreciated!

    Candice
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  19. OP
    Aqua

    Aqua Discus

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Hi @spock rider,

    That would be my Red Brown discus, I believe, please correct me if I am wrong @Marco :

    Here is a clearer pic:
    Red Brown.jpg

    And another below, this time with the rams, they acted like they were guarding something and were challenging anyone that came near that spot, incl. the RB lol, there was nothing there though...

    Rams and RB stand off.jpg
    I think he may be a bit stunted though, as I have had him for 6 months already and he is not growing much at all, perhaps it has to do with what Prof. Dirk has mentioned in another post about fry not being fed properly in the beginning? apparently he was one of the last 2 fry that a kid in the area bred, I bought both but the other one didnt make it unfortunately... I will just keep an eye on him and am going to be ordering food from Prof. Dirk when he is back, then hopefully that will help the RB grow a bit...

    Kind Regards,
    Candice

    Red Brown.jpg

    Rams and RB stand off.jpg
     
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  20. Marco

    Marco Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    May 24, 2010
    Messages:
    2,015
    Likes Received:
    287
    Location:
    Waverley Pretoria
    Hi @Aqua

    Ok, gonna start with the Brown.

    Its very small so to ID it 100% is quite difficult.
    It could be an Alenquer though.
    It is really stunted and looks in a very sorry state tbh. Its not your fault though. Sadly there is very little you can do for it. Its probably got serious flagellate issues as it seems very skinny, so even feeding it extremely well wont do much. Tbh, I think its unfortunately destined for a dismal life of being bullied and being at the bottom of the dung heap. Its your fish, your call, but if I was in your position I would actually consider culling it. I know that sounds horrible so dont hate me for it.

    The possible pair? I honestly dont know. Logic would say that 50% would be PBLSS & 50% the checkerboard type, but with the Pigeon bloid gene I have no experience and not done any research on it either. So I base the assumption purely on the Snakeskin gene the one carries. I know the Pigeon blood gene is a dominant gene, and as both carries it it makes that part quite obvious, but what happens with the Snakeskin gene in the Pigeon "pool" I honestly do not know. Best breed them and see. . . Hehehe

    Pecking order must be understood right. Its not as if once the pecking order is established the fish will live in harmony along the set guidelines. They will constantly nip and fight each other, tend to what they consider their territory etc, so its a dynamic environment for which the fish constantly do battle. Thats why the bottom guy never gets up and tends to stunt as he is constantly being beaten and stepped on. Its a difficult to manage environment, but having well raised Juveniles to begin with, which are all on par with each other helps a great deal. Nature is not like us humans, its savage when it comes to weakness and does not tolerate it well. In reality a weaker fish like that will be dead and gone very quickly.

    Sorry I cant give you better news considering the little guy.

    Rgds

    Marco
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  21. OP
    Aqua

    Aqua Discus

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Hi @Marco,

    Thanks for the input, and for explaining the 'pecking order' matter, makes sense....

    Fortunately, the Brown doesn't get bothered much at all by the other discus, it's the Cobalt Blue thats the most bullied, but starting to fight back now and fortunately it does not hinder the CB's eating, he eats very well and even carries on eating while its happening, it actually seems like the CB gets more of the food as he just eats while the PBLSS try's to bully him and then gets less food ultimately (but still enough).

    Although the Brown is stunted and I'm no expert, I wouldn't class him as skinny myself, viewing him from the front, he does not appear to be pinched imho...he eats well and is very alert coming to the top when I feed them or go near the tank.

    I'm not going to give up on him just yet, will give it some more time, especially considering that he is not showing any sign of illness, he is just little... I think I am going to research this a bit, there seems to be a lot of info on this online, will be good to read about others' experiences with dealing with a stunted discus.

    I sure hope I have a pair, will have to wait and see, also doing a lot of reading about having a pair in a community tank...I gave all my other tanks away, so not sure how thats going to work out... it is a good reason to get a 3rd tank though lol! (rule in the house is I am only allowed 2 tanks, but I am sure this could swing it :) ).

    Kind Regards,
    Candice
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Please help Discus Forum Date
Discus help please General Discus discussions Aug 7, 2017
New Discus tank - can someone please help! Species Tanks Nov 9, 2012
S.O.S with flares!!! Please help with Discus Problem Problems with Discus Sep 29, 2012
Please help ID my discus Cichlids Sep 4, 2010
Bad advise please help New members Sep 16, 2024
Help with Co2 solenoid tubing adapters please! General Equipment discussion Feb 28, 2024
Please help ID these plants. Aquatic plants Feb 12, 2024

Share This Page