Plant identification

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Zoom, May 11, 2009.

  1. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    Hi all

    (And a special hi to Solex69... I KNOW that if you see a thread with "plant" in it, you jump at the chance to show off your expertise... which I am very grateful for at the moment.)

    Got my new tank set up, and bought some plants this weekend from LPS. And (shock horror) as can be expected, the guy who helped sell the plants didn't now what they were, and couldn't give any information on them. The till slip just said, "imported plants". I can guess they are not imported, and they are just tryng to sound impressive.

    Can anyone identify the following to plants? As well as give an indication as to their care requirements, their size, etc etc.
     
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  2. Guest




  3. Philfarm

    Philfarm

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2008
    Messages:
    348
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    cape town
    Hey zoom the second plant is anubias barti and shouldn't have the rhyzome(stem) covered otherwise it will rot and die, it does best tied to a piece of wood or a rock,
    the first pick is some type of echinodoras and it may help you to put some iron nails in the gravel where the roots are...
     
  4. OP
    Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    Thanks Eskimo... how Do I tie it to the rock? Should I take it out the basket? And the substrate in the basket?
     
  5. Philfarm

    Philfarm

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2008
    Messages:
    348
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    cape town
    Yeah take it out the pot that suff the plants come in is bad for the fish and restricts the plants roots..

    Tie it to the wood/rock with normal stitching cotton or use an elastic band, both will rot off with time and by then the anubias should have attached itself.. Also i would avoid high lighting areas with that plant, its a slow grower and will get algae growing on it eventually...
     
  6. solex69

    solex69

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2008
    Messages:
    1,119
    Likes Received:
    14
    The Echinodorus looks like Echinodorus Schlueteri.
    The Anubias is Anubias Barteri var.nana. Eskimo is 100% correct in how to 'plant' it

    PS - You give me way too much credit Zoom. I just jump in a plant thread where I can assist....I'm not too much of a fish lover, prefer plants

    Cheers
    Dale
     
  7. Rowland

    Rowland

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2008
    Messages:
    186
    Likes Received:
    1
    great having guys like Dale, Phil, Dirk and Tyrone around, to name just a few. Their knowledge and willingness to really help is a real pleasure on a forum
     
  8. veegal

    veegal

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2009
    Messages:
    2,215
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Absolutely !!!!
     
  9. OP
    Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    Thanks guys...

    Should I be taking all my plants out of their baskets and that funky substrate they come in... or just that one Eskimo spoke about?

    In my new tank I've just pushed the plants as they came from the LPS straight into the sand in their basket etc
     
  10. 2time

    2time Keanan

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2009
    Messages:
    556
    Likes Received:
    58
    Location:
    Mitchell's Plain, Cape Town
    take all the plant out of the baskets
     
    Last edited: May 11, 2009
  11. solex69

    solex69

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2008
    Messages:
    1,119
    Likes Received:
    14
    Yup, plants shouldn't be in baskets....that's just cruel :) lol

    Chiao
    D
     
  12. OP
    Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    And then just plant tham in the substrate like normal garden plants???
     
  13. solex69

    solex69

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2008
    Messages:
    1,119
    Likes Received:
    14
    Correct. Just remember, not all plants must be planted, some must be attached to wood/rocks.

    Cheers
    D
     
  14. OP
    Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    Ok, thanks Solex.

    What I'll do is I'll post some pics tonight of my tank, but put more detailed pics of the plants. If you wouldn't mind advising to their positioning and planting etc.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Plant identification Forum Date
Plant/moss Identification Aquatic plants Aug 6, 2021
Plant identification? Planted Tanks Oct 9, 2019
Plant identification General Discussions Sep 14, 2016
Plant identification and care Planted Tanks Jan 23, 2015
Plant Identification Aquatic plants Sep 2, 2014
Plant Identification please Planted Tanks Mar 3, 2011
Horizon Labs Tissue Culture Plants Have Arrived! Jungle Aquatics Jul 1, 2026

Share This Page