Plant ID please

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by Marius Swart, Feb 2, 2014.

  1. Marius Swart

    Marius Swart Guppies

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2011
    Messages:
    1,893
    Likes Received:
    45
    Location:
    Oudtshoorn
    Hi, I need an ID please, I know this plant has similar looking plants.So I had 2 of these plants a 2 smonth ago, leaves grown up to 10 cm, one went to the other tank. So in the co2 tank I started using DSD , now it has overgrown the tank, leaves up to 40cm. Will this plant survive the outdoor pond?

    Day 8 since the start with dsd
    20131226_201219.jpg

    Day 16 -
    20140103_173549.jpg

    Day 28 - Pic from above
    20140123_193218.jpg

    I want to replant this in the pond and start with a small plant again.

    20131226_201219.jpg

    20140103_173549.jpg

    20140123_193218.jpg
     
  2. Guest




  3. Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    Water sprite.....
     
  4. Firefly

    Firefly Pleco

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2010
    Messages:
    2,333
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    East London
    Indian Water Sprite. Can grow with roots in gravel or left to float. If allowed to float to surface, it will produce long roots that are nice cover for small fish. Should grow in a pond, depending on the temperature of the water and amount of sunlight. You can also grow it emmersed easily.
     
  5. amandar

    amandar

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2013
    Messages:
    207
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Koffiefontein Free State
    ok I am not an expert on plants .....

    But can this maybe be Water wisteria

    1WaterWisteria.jpg
     
  6. Swagasaurus

    Swagasaurus

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2013
    Messages:
    1,707
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Centurion
    Indian Water Sprite
     
  7. Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    Yes... way back ... the water sprite was also commonly known as water wisteria.... so.. it is the same thing....
     
  8. amandar

    amandar

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2013
    Messages:
    207
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Koffiefontein Free State
    O ok thanks Cheetah.
     
  9. OP
    Marius Swart

    Marius Swart Guppies

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2011
    Messages:
    1,893
    Likes Received:
    45
    Location:
    Oudtshoorn
    And it multiplies like craze . It looks great , but I did not think it will get this big. I might plant it In the pond this weekend, wonder what substrate to use
     
  10. OP
    Marius Swart

    Marius Swart Guppies

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2011
    Messages:
    1,893
    Likes Received:
    45
    Location:
    Oudtshoorn
    Just for the fun of itt, another pic , since it started growing out of the water , the leaves went very thin, so not blocking the light so much. The pic below was the same as previous from above, that was 14 days ago, see how the plant totally looks different
    20140123_193218.jpg

    One below was taken today, very thin leaves now

    20140206_200752.jpg

    20140206_200752.jpg

    20140123_193218.jpg
     
  11. OBI

    OBI

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2013
    Messages:
    253
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Kempton Park
    Wow cool plant
     
  12. Ryno

    Ryno Kenaal baber

    Joined:
    May 19, 2012
    Messages:
    4,022
    Likes Received:
    50
    Location:
    Pretoria
    That has grown alot. In the winter the plant will probably take a beating
     
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  13. OP
    Marius Swart

    Marius Swart Guppies

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2011
    Messages:
    1,893
    Likes Received:
    45
    Location:
    Oudtshoorn
    Hmm, I didn't think about that.. Bit scared to move the plant, I cannot seem to find one on google this big
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Plant please Forum Date
Please help ID these plants. Aquatic plants Feb 12, 2024
Help with Plant ID please? Aquatic plants Jul 27, 2021
Good Carpet plants please? Aquatic plants Jul 10, 2021
Can you ID this plant please Aquatic plants May 20, 2021
Plant ID please ID Needed Oct 3, 2020
Plant ID please ID Needed Jun 20, 2020
Plant ID Help please ID Needed May 29, 2020

Share This Page