Ph and breeding

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by oscar freak, Jun 10, 2015.

  1. oscar freak

    oscar freak

    Joined:
    May 5, 2010
    Messages:
    3,655
    Likes Received:
    56
    Location:
    Kensington Jhb
    Ever since I stopped adjusting the ph my angels stopped breeding.not that I'm particularly phased by it it's actually been a whole lot more peaceful in the tank since then.i have some spare tanks at the moment and I want to try and breed something,not necessarily angels but something amazonian just wondering now if that means ph adjusting is gona be non negotiable?
     
  2. Guest




  3. Jwh

    Jwh

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2014
    Messages:
    1,737
    Likes Received:
    97
    Location:
    Pretoria
    What is your ph? Fluctuations in ph is more detrimental than a somewhat too high or low ph
     
  4. L2000

    L2000 aFISHionado

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2011
    Messages:
    44
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Cape Town
    I've stopped adjusting my Ph now for about 2 weeks (just been lazy really) and my GBR's have laid eggs twice already in community aquarium ,I did however raise my temps to 30 degrees c ,but my Ph has been 7.6 so really not ideal for them , both times eggs got eaten after 3 days.
     
  5. OP
    oscar freak

    oscar freak

    Joined:
    May 5, 2010
    Messages:
    3,655
    Likes Received:
    56
    Location:
    Kensington Jhb
    Its never a wild fluctuation it was a gradual decrease over weeks.ph is 8+ .I found aa place that sells cheap RO water,considering going that route as its cheaper than the chemical route
     
  6. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    @oscar freak,
    My tap water is relatively hard with a high-ish ph.
    When I started using Seachem KH/PH Down, and black water extract, my Angels really went into breeding mode.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  7. OP
    oscar freak

    oscar freak

    Joined:
    May 5, 2010
    Messages:
    3,655
    Likes Received:
    56
    Location:
    Kensington Jhb
    So its not so bad this chemical ph changing.
     
  8. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    It's not as, as long as you are consistent. And keep the paramters stable.

    I use the same amount of the Seachem product with each water change.
    The water I put into the tank is the same as the water in the tank already.

    If you are constantly fiddling and adjusting and using different products, and different amounts etc, that is no good.
     
  9. OP
    oscar freak

    oscar freak

    Joined:
    May 5, 2010
    Messages:
    3,655
    Likes Received:
    56
    Location:
    Kensington Jhb
    True,I see it works for angels but would it work on apistos for instance?
     
  10. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    Only one way to find out!

    But I don't see why not.
     
  11. OP
    oscar freak

    oscar freak

    Joined:
    May 5, 2010
    Messages:
    3,655
    Likes Received:
    56
    Location:
    Kensington Jhb
    Iv seen males for sale but no females
     
  12. gdt78

    gdt78

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2011
    Messages:
    620
    Likes Received:
    5
    Location:
    Jhb - East rand
    Where is that ?
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - breeding Forum Date
Breeding shrimp query Breeding May 18, 2026
Guppy breeding and selection guidelines needed please. Breeding Feb 14, 2025
Advice on Three Spot Gurami breeding needed. Breeding Jan 18, 2025
Wanted: L46 Breeding Pair / Colony Wanted/Swop/Freebies Mar 4, 2024
Neolamprologus Multifaciatus (Shell dweller) breeding tank Breeding Jan 27, 2024
Trying our hand at Betta breeding Breeding Nov 25, 2023
Rili Shrimp Long Tem Breeding\Stripes General Discussions Jul 13, 2023

Share This Page