Parasites

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Turok, Jul 16, 2012.

  1. Turok

    Turok

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2012
    Messages:
    26
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    CAPE TOWN
    [​IMG] Originally Posted by Turok
    HI all im very curious my fish have started dying with a long white string coming from their bellies :sick: could it be parasites.Mostly my big guppies but i also noted
    some of my other fish the Platys bellies are quite swollen too

    my local pet shop they said i should use Tetra general tonic iam worried if it is actually what i should be using for my fish.
    I also do weekly water changes

    Any help much appreciated
    Thanks:unsure:
     
  2. Guest




  3. Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    @Turok - I'm not sure if you have parasites or not or what the correct medication is but it's probably more than Tetra General Tonic. In my experience it turns water green, kill plants and does very little else...
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  4. OP
    Turok

    Turok

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2012
    Messages:
    26
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    CAPE TOWN
    thats true whole tank is green

    THanks
     
  5. Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    sounds like flagellates. Prof. Dirk helped me out with this problem previously:

    I got the metro from my chemist. They looked very doubtful when I first asked them for it, but when I explained what it was for they were ok. It was about R1 a tablet.
     
  6. tranzoid

    tranzoid

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2012
    Messages:
    23
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    CPT
    Hey ican't tell you exactly what the white string is, however it sounds like you have a bit of an internal parasite outbreak. I had similar issues with some guppies and cleared it up with Jungle Parasite Clear Tablets. Quite a few lfs stock them or an equivalent like prazi pro. I seriously doubt any general tonics will help although stand to be corrected. I never use general tonics as an actual treatment/cure as I have never cured anything with them in the past. I think a lot of LFS use them to prevent outbreaks when acclimating new stock etc as a preventative/stock saving measure. HTH
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Parasites Forum Date
Plant Parasites Aquatic plants Mar 6, 2023
Green Terror: bloat and parasites? Diseases Dec 20, 2020
Platys and internal parasites General Discussions Oct 23, 2020
Sterazin -internal parasites? Diseases Sep 11, 2019
Which product to use for internal parasites General Discussions Jan 30, 2015
Worms / Internal Parasites? - Feeling despondent Diseases Jun 1, 2014
White Parasites Beginner Discussions Jan 7, 2014

Share This Page