Painting the room?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Firefly, Mar 27, 2012.

  1. Firefly

    Firefly Pleco

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2010
    Messages:
    2,333
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    East London
    Hi all.

    So my mom wants to paint the room that I stole for my fish tanks. The house is old, and the paint is really thick, 5mm thick when it falls off(the fish room gets neglected):unsure:
    So I was wondering, could I cover the tank with some black plastic bags, and have a power-head venturi air into the tank (with filters etc), while the walls are scraped and painted. I don't want to move the tank just yet, but I do want to remodel it.

    Should I try and move the tank with fish to a temp location and then scrape and paint. After painting, move the tank back and do remodeling?

    What are your thoughts?
     
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  2. Guest




  3. Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    I would say if you can move the tank out of the room altogether, that would be first prize.

    We couldn't move the tank when we painted. We put black bags over the tank and the air line in the tank, with the air pump outside the window so we were pumping fresh air into the tank.
     
  4. azurekoi

    azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,077
    Likes Received:
    61
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Cling wrap much better than black bags - run it as usual(airpump out of room if you have one) - good ventilation in room(extra fan?) as paint is drying.... Did it before,worked out fine for me - wasnt hectic,fumey Gloss enamel though - just plain PVA...
     
  5. Barry.M

    Barry.M

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Messages:
    539
    Likes Received:
    32
    Location:
    Kilner Park, Pretoria
    Agree with azurekoi.
    If you move the tank, you'll have to drain most of the water, move it and refill. Then drain, move it back after the paint is dry and refill... Quite stressful for the occupants. I've also used cling wrap in the past and just painted around the tank. Just be careful not to get any splatter from the roller onto the glass. It's a mission to get it off if you don't see it before it dries.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Painting room Forum Date
Painting the room and tanks. General Fish Discussions Nov 6, 2019
Painting a fish room General Discussions Dec 16, 2010
Painting pond General Fish Discussions Oct 16, 2018
Background painting Anything DIY related Apr 13, 2018
Painting/varnish on Inside of Hood Anything DIY related Feb 21, 2013
Painting/covering a tank Beginner Discussions Nov 25, 2012
painting canopy interior Anything DIY related Apr 16, 2012

Share This Page