Overfed Tank

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by jrgns, Jan 7, 2015.

  1. jrgns

    jrgns

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2013
    Messages:
    72
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Jo' burg
    Hi All

    I have a planted tank that's been running for 2 years with black widow and cardinal tetras, platties, guppies and a clown pleco. 150liter with an external filter.

    My problem is that my house sitter overfed the fish over the holidays, causing the water quality to go way down, as well as a lot of algae growth and waste in the water.

    I'm wondering if a complete reboot of the tank might be a better solution than trying to cleanup the tank. I have an extra smaller tank that I can setup as a temporary tank, in which I can gradually replace the current water plus prevent the fish being exposed to the toxins and waste already in the tank.

    The alternative is to clean the tank up as best I can, and hope that I can get as much of the waste out before it starts affecting the fish.

    Most of the fish look healthy, except for a platty that has some kinds of scale growth / rot going on.

    Any thoughts / experience on this?

    J
     
  2. Guest




  3. JonathanS

    JonathanS

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2012
    Messages:
    110
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    I believe in not doing anything too drastic as that can also had huge amount of stress to the already stressed fish.

    I would siphon out as much of the extra food and waste asap. Rinse the prefilter from your external filter in a bucket with some tank water to remove any uneaten food there. Leave the biomedia alone as they will be working hard. Then do a 25-30% water change every day for at least a week, if not two. Then resume normal weekly water changes. Use a good dechlorinator each time.
     
  4. JCL

    JCL

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2013
    Messages:
    452
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Cape Town
    +10
    Siphon out all the rubbish you can see and do relatively large water changes daily.
    Check your water parameters (Amonia, Nitrite) to determine water change frequency and quantity.
     
  5. dorff

    dorff

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2014
    Messages:
    258
    Likes Received:
    94
    Location:
    Hartbeespoort
    Try the above advice before rebooting. In time, the algae should be well under control. Stick to smaller more frequent water changes, not massive changes at a time, tempting as it may be. The harm is already done, and recovering from here should be gradual, not kneejerk. Hope it works out, as it sucks to have to reboot (unless you were really just looking for an excuse).
     
  6. OP
    jrgns

    jrgns

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2013
    Messages:
    72
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Jo' burg
    Thanx, I've already started vacuuming out the junk and doing small water changes.
    @dorff, I am actually thinking about a reboot, but not just yet!
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  7. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    Yup, a few big water changes and you should start getting the situation under control again.
     
  8. Vis

    Vis Gerhard

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Messages:
    6,130
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    Try and clean it up but if it fails make sure to keep your filter alive and clean the rest and start over. Keep the fish in the small tank and let the cleaned aquarium run with the old filter for about a week and then add one fish etc.
     
  9. OP
    jrgns

    jrgns

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2013
    Messages:
    72
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Jo' burg
    Most of the junk is now out, and it's looking better already. I also added a water treatment that also seems to have helped.

    Thanx for all the advice!
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Overfed Tank Forum Date
Newbie confession: overstocked my first tank on LFS advice — is a R5,500 180L upgrade worth it? Beginner Discussions Jul 12, 2026
100L tank needed General Discussions Jun 15, 2026
Tank builders General Discussions Jan 26, 2026
Disease in a planted tank. Planted Tanks Dec 28, 2025
Tankmates for tiretrack eel? Species Tanks Dec 16, 2025
90cm x 60cm x 45cm opti white tank (10mm) General Equipment discussion Oct 26, 2025
Thinking of starting first malawi tank Cichlids Oct 24, 2025

Share This Page