Oscar Question

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Willem, Jan 8, 2012.

  1. Willem

    Willem High fin Pangasius

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Messages:
    755
    Likes Received:
    15
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Which one of the two oscars make the nest male or female........??
     
  2. Guest




  3. OP
    Willem

    Willem High fin Pangasius

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Messages:
    755
    Likes Received:
    15
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Any one............!!!!!!!!???? :confused:
     
  4. mxz

    mxz

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2010
    Messages:
    508
    Likes Received:
    35
    Location:
    Cape Town
  5. OP
    Willem

    Willem High fin Pangasius

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Messages:
    755
    Likes Received:
    15
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Thanks @mxz but these one's are digging up my whole tank, why I want to know is I'd like to know if I have 2 males or 2 females. If its either I would like to swop one of them for a partner for the other.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  6. Firefly

    Firefly Pleco

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2010
    Messages:
    2,333
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    East London
    They will most likely move around the whole tank, find a place they like, and protect that area. Telling male and female is only possible at spawning I believe.
     
  7. azurekoi

    azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,077
    Likes Received:
    61
    Location:
    Pretoria
    @Willem In my experience spawning Central American cichlids.... Usually the male who starts to dig(not always though) - sorta wants to "impress his chick" kinda thing - Always thought that Oscars are sort of Brakpan fish...lol
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  8. OP
    Willem

    Willem High fin Pangasius

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Messages:
    755
    Likes Received:
    15
    Location:
    Pretoria
    @Firefly thanks for the info

    @azerukoi LOL common dam vis you say but the problem is they are together for +- 3 years now and never spawned but they fight like crazy(krap my hele tank om) and chase the other fish around so I think I might have 2 males(utterly frustrated) if you know what I mean..........lol
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  9. azurekoi

    azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,077
    Likes Received:
    61
    Location:
    Pretoria
    @Willem....lol - yeah.... Kept close on 700 species of fish now in my life,spawned many....but have NEVER kept/wanted to keep an Oscar... Think they do what they do,just to irritate the aquarist - sort of a cosmic joke on us....lol

    Need a bit more info though... Are they in your big tank?(dimensions?) With other fish? Decor? How long have these 3 year old fish been together in their current set up?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  10. OP
    Willem

    Willem High fin Pangasius

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Messages:
    755
    Likes Received:
    15
    Location:
    Pretoria
    @azurekoi yes they are in the big tank (2400x600x600)with silver dollars,pangasius,mono angel,parrot("the ugly one"),tire track eel, sinodontis featherfin,sun catfish and a few cichlids.

    Current setup +-6 monthes and +- 3 years with the other owner
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  11. azurekoi

    azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,077
    Likes Received:
    61
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Think you have a same sex pair then... Either female/female or male/male.... Big fish,are they? - 25cm + ? - should have spawned by now.... Could be that they are an incompatible pair (small chance) - that happens as well...
     
  12. OP
    Willem

    Willem High fin Pangasius

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Messages:
    755
    Likes Received:
    15
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Well I'l be advertising one of them on the classifieds to see if I can swop for female and see what happens then.
     
  13. DarylA

    DarylA

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2010
    Messages:
    502
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Kempton Park
    @Willem I see that there is somebody selling large Oscars (20cm - 30cm) on Junkmail for R120.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Oscar Question Forum Date
Oscar questions General Discussions Oct 20, 2020
Oscar Compatibility Question? Species Tanks Dec 31, 2010
Wanted: Lemon Oscar Wanted/Swop/Freebies Sep 13, 2024
Freebie: Adult Oscar Wanted/Swop/Freebies Nov 1, 2023
Wanted: Looking for Baby Red Oscars Wanted/Swop/Freebies Apr 14, 2023
Oscar Tank Setup Beginner Discussions Nov 23, 2021
Oscars with Bichirs General Discussions Jun 16, 2021

Share This Page