Oscar loosing colour.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Lappies, Dec 21, 2010.

  1. Lappies

    Lappies Lappies

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2010
    Messages:
    177
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Bronkhorstspruit
    Good day everybody.

    My Oscar that had a rounded belly about two weeks ago is still worrying me.

    His belly is now back to normal and he defecates normally, but it seems that he is
    loosing colour. It's a Tiger Oscar between 10-12cm. Very young. The orange markings
    on his body seems to be fading. He ws pitch black and that also seems to fade into a dark olive green.

    Can somebody please give me an explanation on why this is happening and what I'm doing wrong and what to do about it??

    Thank you very much for your time.

    Have a fantastic day.

    Lappies
     
  2. Guest




  3. SalmonAfrica

    SalmonAfrica Batfish

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2008
    Messages:
    3,080
    Likes Received:
    471
    Location:
    Durban
    Can you tell us about his feeding regime, what he is fed, your water changing schedule and filtration? These may give us some clues.

    Also, as Oscars get bigger, they may lose some of the colouring that they had as juveniles. It may just be a case of your fish growing up.
     
  4. neilh

    neilh

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2009
    Messages:
    704
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    JHB/Roodepoort
    Or its just sulking...
     
  5. OP
    Lappies

    Lappies Lappies

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2010
    Messages:
    177
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Bronkhorstspruit
    Sorry SalmonAfrica. I should've mentioned it aswell.

    My fish get fed in the morning. I give them Hikari Cichlid bio-gold+, Hikari Cichlid Excell and Kikari Cichlid gold. I mix the three packets in a big bowl and feed that to them. I used to let my wife feed them a little in the afternoon again, but I stopped that because I was warned about over-feeding them. At night I feed them the same again but I add some Campcom frozen Bloodworms.

    I do 15% water-changes weekly. My filtration is a Cascade 1500 Cannister. Inside my cannister I have ceramic rings, bio-balls, activated charcoal and some sponge. I have two powerheads to create good circulation. I hope that this is the info that you were looking for.

    ---------- Post added at 11:12 ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 ----------

    Sulking???
     
  6. neilh

    neilh

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2009
    Messages:
    704
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    JHB/Roodepoort
    Yes, sulking. Oscars are very emotional fish IME, piss them off slightly and they go light and sulk in the corner for a while. Does your guy go nuts for BW?
     
  7. OP
    Lappies

    Lappies Lappies

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2010
    Messages:
    177
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Bronkhorstspruit
    Okay, I understand that, but "Ozzy" doesn't sit in a corner. He still swims the whole tank. He swims slower though but he still stands his ground when other fish try to chase him around.

    He goes "gaga" when I give them Bloodworms. He loves it. I forgot to mention that I do give them ox-heart once a week, but not a lot, because of the fat content.
     
  8. Slojo

    Slojo

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2009
    Messages:
    2,115
    Likes Received:
    24
    Sounds like my wife except the worm part.
     
  9. OP
    Lappies

    Lappies Lappies

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2010
    Messages:
    177
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Bronkhorstspruit
    Sorry to hear that your wife is loosing colour Slojo.

    Your account at Revlon is going to spike. Ha ha ha
     
  10. OP
    Lappies

    Lappies Lappies

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2010
    Messages:
    177
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Bronkhorstspruit
    I had a look at my Oscar last night.

    His mouth stays open and it seems as if he's breathing heavily. His appetite is not normal either. He doesn't eat as well as he did in the past. He was always close to the surfae of the water but now he swims close to the bottom of the tank and he swims with a slant. His behind is hanging when he swims. He is more vertical than horizontal if you understand what I'm saying.

    I tested my pH and Ammonia and everything is normal. The other fish in my tank is looking very healthy and normal. It's just the oscar that seems ill.

    I did a water change last night as it was time to do it. My cannister filter is clean because I cleaned it last week Thursday.

    Can anybody help me in this regard please? Any advise and help will be appreciated.

    Thank you for your time.

    Lappies
     
  11. neilh

    neilh

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2009
    Messages:
    704
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    JHB/Roodepoort
    What about Nitrite and Nitrate? Sounds like high Nitrates to me

    And what levels were ph and Ammonia?
     
  12. OP
    Lappies

    Lappies Lappies

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2010
    Messages:
    177
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Bronkhorstspruit
    My pH is 7.4 and my Ammonia is 4ppm.

    I really don't think that it Nitrates. I never had that problem before and I strictly do water-changes every week and my ammonia levels are always low.

    My Oscar died last night. Some of my other fish seems to start breathing heavily. Can it be Velvet???
     
  13. azurekoi

    azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,077
    Likes Received:
    61
    Location:
    Pretoria
    @Lappies ... 4ppm ammonia WILL KILL fish... 1ppm is already to much... Amonia levels shouldn't be low - they must be non existant - same with nitrites... Nitrate idealy between 5 - 15ppm...

    When you say you "cleaned" your filter - please tell me how you do this?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  14. Reaper

    Reaper

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2010
    Messages:
    192
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    parow western cape
    hehehe maybe with handy andy ? hehehehe
     
  15. azurekoi

    azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,077
    Likes Received:
    61
    Location:
    Pretoria
    @Reaper... You joke mate... many years ago when just a pimply kid,this harresed housewife walked into the little petshop where i worked in PE and asked me why her goldfishes skeleton came out of it's body... Needless to say,I was flummoxed... Asked her what she did.... She said that the goldfishbowl was full of algea on the inside ans she put some Handy Andy on a kitchen sponge and wiped it off...

    I lost it with the woman and screamed and shouted,calling her a fish killer and worse... Almost lost my job...
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  16. Reaper

    Reaper

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2010
    Messages:
    192
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    parow western cape
    hehehe heard a simalar story the other day the petshop told this old lady the fish she bought needs warm water then she came bak after a few days complaining the fish died they aked her what happend and she told them she put the fishbowl in the microwave for a few seconds every morning ... and this is a true story hehehehe
     
  17. OP
    Lappies

    Lappies Lappies

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2010
    Messages:
    177
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Bronkhorstspruit
    I might seem uneducated and challenged when it comes to intellegence, but I can assure you that I did not use Handy Andy or any chemicals, Reaper. All my "stupid" questions

    When I clean my cannister I use the water that I take out of my tank when I do a water change.
    I rinse the sponges, Bio-balls, Charcoal and Ceramic rings with it. I don't use anything else.
    My Ammonia levels are almost non-existant now after I did a 50% water change. I lost some other fish aswell
    but the rest of my fish are much better now and they seem very happy.

    I hope that everybody had a blessed Christmas and that you enjoyed the time with your loved ones.

    Have a very nice day.

    Lappies.
     
  18. azurekoi

    azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,077
    Likes Received:
    61
    Location:
    Pretoria
    @Lappies .... Try not to rinse/clean all of the media in your filter every time - generally just rinsing the sponge part is sufficient - rule of thumb is to keep the mechanical filtration part clean and leave the biological part undisturbed...
    Biofilm is delicate stuff...
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  19. OP
    Lappies

    Lappies Lappies

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2010
    Messages:
    177
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Bronkhorstspruit
    Good day Azurekoi. I hear what you are saying, but I would like to bring to your attention that I don't clean my cannister filter every week when I do water changes. I only clean it every month and a half to two months. I understand that the bacteria colonies inside my cannister is of crucial importance to my tank and water condition. I will, however, take your advise and only rinse the sponges.

    Thank you for your reply and advise. I appreciate it a lot.
     
  20. Slojo

    Slojo

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2009
    Messages:
    2,115
    Likes Received:
    24
    @Lappies - Use your tank water to rinse the sponges,do not use tap water,as it will also kill the bacteria.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  21. OP
    Lappies

    Lappies Lappies

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2010
    Messages:
    177
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Bronkhorstspruit
    Hallo Slojo. As you can see I do not use tap water. I use the water I take out of my tank when I do a water change.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Oscar loosing colour Forum Date
Wanted: Lemon Oscar Wanted/Swop/Freebies Sep 13, 2024
Freebie: Adult Oscar Wanted/Swop/Freebies Nov 1, 2023
Wanted: Looking for Baby Red Oscars Wanted/Swop/Freebies Apr 14, 2023
Oscar Tank Setup Beginner Discussions Nov 23, 2021
Oscars with Bichirs General Discussions Jun 16, 2021
Wanted: Oscars Wanted/Swop/Freebies May 3, 2021
RSS Feed Albino Oscar (Astronotus Ocellatus) Care Sheet RSS Feeds Mar 17, 2021

Share This Page