One Betta. A 37L Tank. What do you want me to add?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Figeth, Oct 25, 2019.

  1. Figeth

    Figeth

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2019
    Messages:
    198
    Likes Received:
    183
    Location:
    Fish hoek
    Ok so, I got two betta fish this past week, they were sold as females. Upon closer inspection the one is male, luckily I had an empty 37L tank. The female is settled into my 100L with my guppies, kuhlis and shrimp.

    Now to the question.

    Aside from the male betta, which is the main reason for the tank, what do you think I should add to this tank?

    Anything from vague scapes to specific plants, let me know!
     
  2. Guest




  3. A new day

    A new day Moderator

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2019
    Messages:
    6,986
    Likes Received:
    5,956
    Location:
    Cape Town
     
    Figeth and vozzy like this.
  4. OP
    Figeth

    Figeth

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2019
    Messages:
    198
    Likes Received:
    183
    Location:
    Fish hoek
    A filterless tank would be a lovely challenge.
    I think I'll start setting it up once I have a good light.
     
  5. A new day

    A new day Moderator

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2019
    Messages:
    6,986
    Likes Received:
    5,956
    Location:
    Cape Town
    :) I didn’t necessarily mean for you to go filterless, just thought a beta should be happy in a tank like that :thumbup:
     
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    Figeth likes this.
  6. OP
    Figeth

    Figeth

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2019
    Messages:
    198
    Likes Received:
    183
    Location:
    Fish hoek
    I did some reading now and it seems that I tank of the size I have would be good for a filterless tank. I also love the greenery in it!
     
  7. A new day

    A new day Moderator

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2019
    Messages:
    6,986
    Likes Received:
    5,956
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Oh dear, what did I start? :lol:
    Give the poor beta a filter and heater :D
     
  8. fux940510

    fux940510

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2019
    Messages:
    522
    Likes Received:
    502
    Location:
    Muldersdrift
    The filterless tank might seem like a good idea, but you have to be incredibly careful about maintaining balance. All it takes to mess it up is one trimming session that is too vigorous, or one missed water change, and nightmare ensues.

    For equipment, get an under-specced HOB filter or sponge. If he is a short fin/plakat betta, a little higher flow would be good. They do prefer very slow, almost stagnant water, and getting blown all over the aquarium will freak him out. Personal preference is the HOB, as sponges are difficult to hide while still making it easy to maintain. Get a 50/100w heater, set to 25/26C. For lighting, the Zetlight budget range are pretty damn good. No sunrise/sunset feature, but bettas don't seem too fussed by this. Link: https://www.aquaempire.co.za/product-page/zetlight-zp-4000-p

    For plants, i'm really enjoying the combination of various crypts, small water lily thing, and helanthium tenellum, with a few anubias and/or java fern dotted around. The anubias and java fern add some density whereas the crypts and h tennelum seem quite delicate, and the small water lily thing makes for a happy betta. I find at least 4 different bubble nests under the leaves every morning.
     
    Figeth and A new day like this.
  9. OP
    Figeth

    Figeth

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2019
    Messages:
    198
    Likes Received:
    183
    Location:
    Fish hoek
    Thank you, this is wonderful advice!
     
  10. OP
    Figeth

    Figeth

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2019
    Messages:
    198
    Likes Received:
    183
    Location:
    Fish hoek
    I got a little filter and light today! Going to set things up and let it cycle. Honeypie is in a sectioned off area of my 100L.
     
    A new day likes this.
  11. OP
    Figeth

    Figeth

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2019
    Messages:
    198
    Likes Received:
    183
    Location:
    Fish hoek

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Betta Tank Forum Date
Planted Betta/Shrimp tank updates Aquatic plants Jul 4, 2021
Custom Betta Tank Anything DIY related Oct 11, 2020
The 50 litre Betta Tank Members Systems Aug 25, 2020
New Betta tank Species Tanks Jun 27, 2020
Clean-up crew for 60L Betta tank Beginner Discussions Jun 25, 2020
RSS Feed Betta Fish Tanks: Our Top Five Betta Homes RSS Feeds Jun 24, 2020
Planted Tank with Betta Planted Tanks Jun 3, 2020

Share This Page