Oldest fish you have had

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by richardnuss, Mar 19, 2013.

  1. richardnuss

    richardnuss

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2010
    Messages:
    148
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Paulshof - JHB
    I know koi get older than we do, and there are numerous sites with the approximate lifespans of tropical fish, but I was wondering what is the oldest fish you have?

    I got a call from my cousin this morning, I had given her a tyre-track eel in 2005, and the eel was found dead this morning (jumped out and dried up - a trick he has repeated many times like Houdini). I bought this eel on the South Coast in 1997 - so he was 16 years old (that's older than any dog I have had).

    Anyone else got some golden oldies?
     
  2. Guest




  3. nicolaas

    nicolaas

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2013
    Messages:
    832
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Just outside of Tzaneen
    My oldest is a 2 year old Moonlight gourami. Not that old but she is my first fish so she is very special to me.
     
  4. Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    Comet Goldfish..... 17 years old......
     
  5. Xandoz

    Xandoz

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2013
    Messages:
    353
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Cape Town
    I had a 3 spot gourami that I bought from Sam's Aquarium for R11 for 2 of them. I only bought them because they went into communities well and there was nothing else in the shop that I wanted. The 1 gourami died after a year or so, but the remaining female lived for 8 years. She died when her tank's heater broke and shot the temp up to 34C.
     
  6. tlchidau

    tlchidau TMAN

    Joined:
    May 23, 2011
    Messages:
    183
    Likes Received:
    29
    Location:
    Randburg
    2 comet goldfish still very young 3years now and hoping for a decade.
     
  7. Skye01

    Skye01

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2011
    Messages:
    1,273
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Rynfield, Benoni. GP
    I have fish of varying ages.
    We have comets & Koi from before 2006 that are still with us.
    Kribensis female I bought in 2007.
    Black Ghost Knife fish pair I bought in 2008. I unfortunately lost my female last year, but I still have my boy & he's large.
    Pair of Pearl Gourami's I bought in 2008 that are still with me.
    Cory's I got when I started again in 2007 that are also still with me.
     
  8. FishLover

    FishLover

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2012
    Messages:
    881
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    I had a betta for two years, which I believe is quite a while. I had a koi for about four years until it jumped from the pond or something. Was very fond of the fish. Died about a week ago. Also have a few comets of about 5-6 years.
     
  9. Javei

    Javei

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2013
    Messages:
    565
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    pretoria
    Had a pleco for about 6 years
     
  10. SalmonAfrica

    SalmonAfrica Batfish

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2008
    Messages:
    3,080
    Likes Received:
    471
    Location:
    Durban
    Kuhli loach. 11 years. Just died overnight, it seems.
     
  11. nesretep

    nesretep

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2011
    Messages:
    106
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Klerksdorp
    Have 6 silver dollar's that I purchased towards the end of 2004, and they are doing well so far, outlived the bosmani I bought with them, who died within a few months of one another 2 years ago. @FishLover 2years is not bad for a betta, especially if store bought, could be up to year old at that point, though I have read that in the right conditions, they can almost last a decade.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  12. L2000

    L2000 aFISHionado

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2011
    Messages:
    44
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Cape Town
    I had a 3 spot gourami and a male Pearl Gourami both of them were 4 years old when I eventually had to sell my tank,don't know how long they survived at new owners place...oldest boy I've got now is a 2 year old Clown Pleco,he survived a bust tank heater that pushed the tanks temp well into the high forty's before I saw what had happened.
     
  13. FishLover

    FishLover

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2012
    Messages:
    881
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    @nesretep , I had no idea that bettas could live that long. The betta was the first one I ever got from my LFS. Had no idea about bettas but I researched and got him a good 10l-15l home. He liked it with all the plants. Maybe thats why he lived so long.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  14. wolfr

    wolfr

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2012
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Port Elizabeth
    I Have a Black Widow Tetra that is more than 7 years old. Survived a move from Durban to PE in 2007.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Oldest fish Forum Date
Animal of the month: Is the NZG's Vundu the oldest fish in an aquarium? General Discussions Aug 23, 2012
Dr Says Deworm Your Fish Jungle Aquatics Jul 7, 2026
Your Betta Fish Has Seen Things. It's Time to Do Better Jungle Aquatics May 3, 2026
Looking for killifish General Fish Discussions Apr 21, 2026
Fish breeders Gauteng New members Apr 4, 2026
The secret to happy, stress-free pond fish. API Pond Stress Coat Jungle Aquatics Mar 25, 2026
Don't let your Fish stage a hunger strike! Jungle Aquatics Feb 27, 2026

Share This Page