Oddest fish you've ever owned

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Quue, Mar 20, 2013.

  1. Quue

    Quue

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2012
    Messages:
    605
    Likes Received:
    8
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Hey Guys and Girls

    so i was looking at my Bango Catfish today and wanted to know if you guys had something or had something as odd in your tanks?
     
  2. Guest




  3. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    @Quue

    I think my Black Ghost Knife looks a bit odd. Especially when it swims backwards.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  4. Macmish

    Macmish Pleco Fan

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2012
    Messages:
    323
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Blouberg Cape Town
    Funny enough I was also going to say my Black Ghost Knife I used to have. But after further thought it has to be my Rope Fish, an escape artist of note, when it first climbed out the tank I was horrified, I put it back (didn't know it could do that, the LFS didn't warn me). The second time I found it on the floor I managed to rescue it before the cat saw it. I hurriedly took it back to the LFS the next day. I must admit I was a bit nervous to put my hand in the tank with it there, it just looked snake like, with a devil's tail..... Now I wouldn't think twice to put my hand in the tank with a rope fish, amazing what you can get used to.
     
  5. Skye01

    Skye01

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2011
    Messages:
    1,273
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Rynfield, Benoni. GP
    The oddest fish that I own is a Wrestling Half Beak as well as 2 x Hara-Hara Catfish.

    My BGK I think is the most stunning fish in my tank, with his little white stripe and little puppy-dog eyes, I love him.
     
  6. BBQ

    BBQ

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2012
    Messages:
    1,023
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Gotta Agree with BGK
    +1
     
  7. wsteene

    wsteene

    Joined:
    May 11, 2011
    Messages:
    727
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Dunedin, New Zealand
    Stonefish and fresh water sole which I once had
     
  8. oupoot

    oupoot

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2012
    Messages:
    1,119
    Likes Received:
    341
    Location:
    Randburg
    Yeah rope fish have lungs capable to breathe above water, also called the Houdini fish for its escape capabilities
     
  9. Good_Times

    Good_Times Kalahari Sandhaai

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2012
    Messages:
    928
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Upington
    One of the coolest livebearers, have you had the luck of breeding them yet?
     
  10. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    Yup, whenever a "non-fish person" sees my Rope Fish, they think they are snakes. :nuts:
     
  11. Ryno

    Ryno Kenaal baber

    Joined:
    May 19, 2012
    Messages:
    4,022
    Likes Received:
    50
    Location:
    Pretoria
    i love half beaks but with my open top tanks i think they are a no go
     
  12. nicolaas

    nicolaas

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2013
    Messages:
    832
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Just outside of Tzaneen
    My oddest fish is also my Black ghost knife,this is my favorite fish i've ever had.

    This pic was taken after I had to tear down the tank and I moved him/her to my silver dollar tank.

    IMG-20130307-00149.jpg
     
  13. L2000

    L2000 aFISHionado

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2011
    Messages:
    44
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Cape Town
    unfortunately mine has to be 2 upside down catfish I had way back when I started in the hobby,not as exotic as the rest of you but very odd indeed.They made a sound like a baby crying when they were netted for tank teardowns or when moving to bigger tanks.
     
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  14. Zeiphex

    Zeiphex Axolotl

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2011
    Messages:
    440
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Stellenbosch
    Probably my saddle bichir
     
  15. FishLover

    FishLover

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2012
    Messages:
    881
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    I had a pair of mudskippers a while ago. They burrowed into the gravel and under rocks and all you could see above the water was their eyes. Funny things mudskippers.
     
  16. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    @L2000,
    Yup, had those too. But I found they hide most of the time and I saw them very seldom

    @Zeiphex,
    Love my Bichir

    @FishLover, If only I had a spare tank.......
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  17. Skye01

    Skye01

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2011
    Messages:
    1,273
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Rynfield, Benoni. GP
    @Good_Times, You can't really keep more than one in a smallish tank otherwise they terrorize each other and battles start to break out. So alas I only have the one left, but if I can find more in the future I will rather put them into my 3ft and hopefully they will breed for me.

    @nicolaas, your BGK is so beautiful, how big is it now? How long have you had it?

    My sister actually reminded me of another very strange fish that I've also had the pleasure of keeping, African Butterfly Fish. They are just so amazing to keep and to watch as well. Would definitely get more though.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  18. nicolaas

    nicolaas

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2013
    Messages:
    832
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Just outside of Tzaneen
    Thanks Skye01 he is about 25cm at the moment, I got him in Kimberly about a 1000k from Tzaneen on november 2011.
    He grew very fast up till 15cm and then he started to grow much slower.
     
  19. Skye01

    Skye01

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2011
    Messages:
    1,273
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Rynfield, Benoni. GP
    @nicolaas, I hope you have him in a fairly large tank, as mine is probably about 40cm already and they still grow to 50cm odd, so both of ours still have a little way to go still. I remember when I bought them they were these tiny little things of probably 10cm at a push, now I look at him and marvel at how big, beautiful and tame he is.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  20. nicolaas

    nicolaas

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2013
    Messages:
    832
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Just outside of Tzaneen
    Ja they get big he is in a 160liter at the time but his real tank is the 250liter that had a big worm out break in my angels. The 160 is also being treated with anti worm for safet.
    The 160L is 80cm long,50 cmwide and 40cmhigh. The 250L is 120cm long, 47cmhigh and 45 cm wide.

    Does yours also eat out of your hands Skye01?
     
  21. Xandoz

    Xandoz

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2013
    Messages:
    353
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Cape Town
    I've had a number of wierd fish. MOst of them have been listed here already. Current wierdness winners are my mudskippers, followed by my whiptail cats and spotted climbing perch. The whiptails just look cool but the perch is always watching me and is forever missioning around the tank looking for little things to eat.
    The skippers have started coming to my hands to eat. Gonna have to get some tongs soon though; they have a decent set of teeth.

    Oh, and another oddball I had years ago was an African Butterfly. Was a stunning fish; just didn't do much.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Oddest fish you've Forum Date
Dr Says Deworm Your Fish Jungle Aquatics Jul 7, 2026
Your Betta Fish Has Seen Things. It's Time to Do Better Jungle Aquatics May 3, 2026
Looking for killifish General Fish Discussions Apr 21, 2026
Fish breeders Gauteng New members Apr 4, 2026
The secret to happy, stress-free pond fish. API Pond Stress Coat Jungle Aquatics Mar 25, 2026
Don't let your Fish stage a hunger strike! Jungle Aquatics Feb 27, 2026
Veiltail Angelfish for sale Beginner Discussions Jan 1, 2026

Share This Page