Noob breading Malawis

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Corne, Feb 9, 2012.

  1. Corne

    Corne

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2011
    Messages:
    611
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Villeria
    Hi
    I read a lot about breeding malawis
    But is there a trick you wise men can give such a nice guy like me ?
    I love brichardi
    And apistos
    And I have a fondnes for kribs also
    I have a 4 foot and I am willing to chop and change
    Thanks so far
    Regards
    Corne (getting gray ?)
     
  2. Guest




  3. azurekoi

    azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,077
    Likes Received:
    61
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Uhm....Dude?

    What is the question exactly? do you need to find out how to breed Malawis? or do you want to get some advice on breeding Tanganyikans(The Brichardi) - West African species like Kribensis yet again require different conditions from aforementioned.... and then Apistogrammas?

    Hope you not planning on trying to make a "Cichlid community tank" out of these.....
     
  4. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    You need to decide what you want to breed and take it from there.
    The fish you have listed aren't Malawis.
     
  5. OP
    Corne

    Corne

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2011
    Messages:
    611
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Villeria
    Jeez I want to breed any malawi
    Please
    I may have strayed a bit sorry
     
  6. azurekoi

    azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,077
    Likes Received:
    61
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Malawis are easy - just get the male and female ratios right,and they do it themselves....
     
  7. PappaBear

    PappaBear

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2011
    Messages:
    487
    Likes Received:
    162
    Location:
    Moorreesburg
    Also do your homework regarding species which might interbreed..... don't want to sit with a whole lot of "basters"......
     
  8. tracyp

    tracyp Lotus

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2010
    Messages:
    1,619
    Likes Received:
    31
    Location:
    Stanford, Western Cape
    Heh! Well, @Corne, hope you won"t mind if we have a little Friday evening fun... so this week, we've had guppies that won't strip off...witches in law... (nice pun)... a lot of which's spelled as witches... you know the hag type ladies?

    We've had cat cleaning tutorials... I'm SO glad I'm a TASA member............. now we've got breading malawis! :smile1: that aren't m's... but what tickles me most, is the breading bit......... you (generally) bread (dead) fish with crumbs before you fry them!

    ​PLS NOTE: NO offence intended, just having some fun! Were I posting in japanese, it would sound as funny!
     
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  9. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    lol - yeah and to top it off cannibalism is still mostly frowned upon ..
     
  10. gdt78

    gdt78

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2011
    Messages:
    620
    Likes Received:
    5
    Location:
    Jhb - East rand
    hahaha, very funny
     
  11. OP
    Corne

    Corne

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2011
    Messages:
    611
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Villeria
    Are you suppose to only use egg white for battering them before you bread them
     
  12. scotty

    scotty

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2010
    Messages:
    254
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    George
    Hi Corne, get yourself about 3-4 males and 10-12 females. What I do is at about 2-3 weeks I then catch the female, carrying of course, and either dropher into a seperate breeding tank setup or into a breeding net. This way I can get all the babies. If left to the mercy of the tank you will fine about 10% might survive.
    You can also strip the mothers at 2-3 weeks.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Noob breading Malawis Forum Date
Another Noob in the tank ! New members Mar 16, 2024
The Noobiest Noob New members Jan 11, 2024
Noob here New members May 15, 2022
Planted tank Noob Planted Tanks Jan 8, 2021
Aquarium Noob Jhb New members Jul 20, 2020
Plant noob, need ID ID Needed Mar 7, 2020
New Noob here New members Oct 28, 2018

Share This Page