Non Planted Tank Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Ruan, Sep 3, 2010.

  1. Ruan

    Ruan Wooden Spoon

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2009
    Messages:
    695
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Sunninghill, JHB
    I want to start up another tank sometime soon, BUT, no plants, no ferts and no CO2.

    Any suggestions on species of fish and more importantly scape.
    I want something that looks good without the help of plants.

    I must say JediGenie's Shellie setup looks awesome without one plant in sight.

    Any help?
     
  2. Guest




  3. TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    Setup a Rock Desert tank...As far as I know....it's never been done because I just thought of it now...

    Maybe you can throw in some Polypterus? If you go with the rock and Sand theme then maybe you can add a selection on Cichlids. Either South American or African . . .

    Urm....What size tank is it going to be?

    TM
     
  4. OP
    Ruan

    Ruan Wooden Spoon

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2009
    Messages:
    695
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Sunninghill, JHB
    I dont have a specific size in mind right now. 2-3ft-ish, will see how much the law-of-wife permits.

    I thought of Cichlids, but then that scopes out my tank size possibilities as I would need at least a 4ft.
    Maybe a mudskipper layout?
     
  5. TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    Yeah!!! . . .

    Maybe you can work on a tank design that makes the whole back glass a waterfall? Would be nice to have rocks and stuff sticking out of the water too!
     
  6. OP
    Ruan

    Ruan Wooden Spoon

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2009
    Messages:
    695
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Sunninghill, JHB
    Now your talking!

    A rockscape, with rocks sticking right out of the water.

    Can make polystirene rocks to save weight aswell.

    I'll draw up something in Sketch-up and report back.
     
  7. shihr

    shihr Glosso

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2010
    Messages:
    1,838
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    JHB
  8. OP
    Ruan

    Ruan Wooden Spoon

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2009
    Messages:
    695
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Sunninghill, JHB
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  9. TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    Cool, I have it all pictured. I wish I knew how to use sketch up.

    You don't need a custom tank too....

    Just DIY a spray bar and direct it at your back glass.

    Will do something in PAINT and see if you like it.

    TM
     
  10. shihr

    shihr Glosso

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2010
    Messages:
    1,838
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    JHB
    also, fishless tanks maintenance is to do water changes on a regular basis to get rid of the excess nitrates that the plants would have tanken up :) easy
     
  11. Relborg

    Relborg

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2010
    Messages:
    376
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    JHB East / North
     
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  12. TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    Hmmm...Why not do the minnows in a banked tank?
     
  13. shihr

    shihr Glosso

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2010
    Messages:
    1,838
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    JHB
    whats a banked tank?

    also, polystyrene doesnt soak up water.. otherwise it wouldnt float
     
  14. TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    White clouds in a Mudskipper-like setup?
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Planted Tank Suggestions Forum Date
Disease in a planted tank. Planted Tanks Dec 28, 2025
New 240L dirted/planted nano fish tank Members Systems Jan 14, 2025
[ADVICE WANTED] CO2 Planted Tank for Beginners? Planted Tanks Dec 29, 2024
Wanted: Planted Fish Tank Required Wanted/Swop/Freebies Sep 11, 2024
Planted tank advice Planted Tanks Nov 1, 2023
Freebie: Planted tank Wanted/Swop/Freebies Sep 6, 2023
Second Try at 2ft Planted Tank Planted Tanks May 8, 2023

Share This Page