newbie

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Wynie, May 16, 2011.

  1. Wynie

    Wynie

    Joined:
    May 16, 2011
    Messages:
    46
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Johannesburg (East Rand)
    Hi guys

    Im another newbie to this interesting Hobby. I bought quite a large tank with a resun canister filter. I waited a week and added a few fishes waited another few days and added a few more. I test the water twice a day and all seems fine & fishes look happy.
    Please can anyone tel me how to clean my canister filter and should i replace the charcoal & ceramic rings after a while?
     
  2. Guest




  3. Linxie

    Linxie

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2009
    Messages:
    1,821
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Port Elizabeth, South Africa
    Hi Wynie and welcome to TASA :)
    If you're going the planted tank route, I would suggest removing the charcoal as it removes all those good minerals that we're after.
    I don't think you need to replace the ceramic rings. The reason they're there is to create a home for the beneficial bacteria that we need to keep our tanks healthy.

    I'd suggest reading the following articles as they're really helpful and will contain all the answers you might be looking for :)
    http://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/showthread.php?3305-Zoom-s-Article-1-Starting-your-first-tank
    http://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/s...ter-chemistry-amp-how-to-maintain-its-clarity.
    http://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/showthread.php?7572-Bacteria-the-good-and-bad
    http://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/showthread.php?7286-Nitrogen-Cycle-for-Aquariums

    So, what fish have you bought so far?
     
  4. OP
    Wynie

    Wynie

    Joined:
    May 16, 2011
    Messages:
    46
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Johannesburg (East Rand)
    Fish

    Well two Angels, one Betta a few guppies and tetras although i just recently found out that some of these fish dont get along im still planning my next move and what to add and so on
     
  5. OP
    Wynie

    Wynie

    Joined:
    May 16, 2011
    Messages:
    46
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Johannesburg (East Rand)
    Oh and thanks for the links this helps me alot
     
  6. Linxie

    Linxie

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2009
    Messages:
    1,821
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Port Elizabeth, South Africa
    It's a pleasure Wynie.

    Yeah don't know so much about those fish, but I think you'll have problems with the Betta and the Angels.
    Do you know how many litres your tank holds? Those angels can grow to the size of side plates :D
     
  7. OP
    Wynie

    Wynie

    Joined:
    May 16, 2011
    Messages:
    46
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Johannesburg (East Rand)
    I think its about 200 Litres
     
  8. OP
    Wynie

    Wynie

    Joined:
    May 16, 2011
    Messages:
    46
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Johannesburg (East Rand)
    What setup are you running an what types of fish?
     
  9. Linxie

    Linxie

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2009
    Messages:
    1,821
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Port Elizabeth, South Africa
    Cool, I think you might want to go bigger once they grow bigger. But then that also depends on whether you plan on keeping more than 2 angels.

    Me, at the moment I have a 20l tank with just plants in it and a 70l with too many fish and too many plants. My 175l broke :( Had to make a plan.
    I've got kuhli loaches, rummies, cardinals (only one left) and black tetras. I want to move the black tetras though as their water needs to be cooler than what I currently have it at.
     
  10. OP
    Wynie

    Wynie

    Joined:
    May 16, 2011
    Messages:
    46
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Johannesburg (East Rand)
    Im thinking of getting kuhli loaches are they friendly? Also wanted to get some clown loaches but pet shop said they are are not to friendly towards tetras & danios
     
  11. Linxie

    Linxie

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2009
    Messages:
    1,821
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Port Elizabeth, South Africa
    I'm not sure about clown loaches. They grow very big and some are known to be aggressive. I think these would be best in a species only tank, but I don't know for sure.

    Kuhli loaches are awesome! They're very shy and don't often come out of their hidey holes. They're playful if they're in a big group, and generally fair better in a large group. I wouldn't recommend anything less that 6 kuhli loaches.

    No offence, but take what you hear from the Petshop with a pinch of salt. Many times they will just tell you what you want to hear just to get the sale. I'm glad that they informed you of the aggressive behaviour of the clown loach though. Not many petshops would do this.

    Your best bet would be to research the fish that you want before you buy them. I've made this mistake before... I bought a fish only to find out it was not compatible with another fish I already had.

    I'm happy to see you asking questions, just a bit sad to see I'm the only one answering as I myself am still a bit of a noob.
     
  12. OP
    Wynie

    Wynie

    Joined:
    May 16, 2011
    Messages:
    46
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Johannesburg (East Rand)
    haha thanks for all the help. Nice to see theres people out there that share the same interests and that we can all learn from each other.
    I think im going to save up to get another species only tank and put a few bad boys in there like the guy said in the mantell thread a naughty tank.
    Ive got a study where i can keep another tank but still recovering from all the spending on this one.
    Anyway been nice chatting to you im gonna wait it out another month for the cycle to become stable and then ill look at purchasing a few more fish.
     
  13. AquaS

    AquaS

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2010
    Messages:
    307
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Goodwood, CPT
    Welcome Wynie! I'm sure you will find lots of info and help on the forum. So keep on asking questions and we will help where we can.
    Which area are you from?
     
  14. Linxie

    Linxie

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2009
    Messages:
    1,821
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Port Elizabeth, South Africa
    It's only a pleasure :) I like helping where I can. I just get scared that sometimes my advice isn't the best :D
    Oh yeah, a species only tank is awesome! I'd love that with an eel or sorts.

    LOL wait till the plant bug gets to you as well :D

    Cool, chat soon for sure! And good luck with your tank. We are here for you if you need any help with any thing.
     
  15. OP
    Wynie

    Wynie

    Joined:
    May 16, 2011
    Messages:
    46
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Johannesburg (East Rand)
    Im from the east rand in Joburg and ive been getting my fish from exotic in Boksburg north
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - newbie Forum Date
Newbie confession: overstocked my first tank on LFS advice — is a R5,500 180L upgrade worth it? Beginner Discussions Jul 12, 2026
Newbie but a very oldie actually New members Oct 13, 2024
Newbie here New members Apr 19, 2022
(old) Newbie New members Mar 14, 2022
Newbie here New members Mar 10, 2022
Newbie (as in, really!!) New members Nov 8, 2021
A Newbie starting a new 30L tank -advice needed Beginner Discussions Oct 13, 2021

Share This Page