New tank coming soon - Might want to breed

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Razer2007, Nov 25, 2011.

  1. Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    Hi there.

    When I redo my tank in a few weeks I want to put in fish that I might get to breed. I am considering Chiclids or Gourami's. I don't want guppies or platy's or swordtails. What other possibilities are there? And which of them will be able to breed in a community tank? It doesn't need to be a community tank, but I will still have my cleaning fish (pleco and flying fox, might get some cory's).

    The tank is about 100L and the equipment I have to my disposal is 2X 100W and 1X 50W thermostats, a AquaClear 300 and a 100. I have sand in my tank (for an aquarium, not from the beach :p) and lost of rocks for caves etc. I want to have quite a lot of plants so nothing that will think it's a buffet.

    For Gourami's, is a lot of water movement on the surface bad?

    Cheers,
    Danelle
     
  2. Guest




  3. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    How about one of the dwarf Cichlids?
    Maybe some Apistogrammas?
     
  4. OP
    Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    I was looking at them. Are they easy to maintain? Can I breed them in a tank with other fish in too?
     
  5. PappaBear

    PappaBear

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2011
    Messages:
    487
    Likes Received:
    162
    Location:
    Moorreesburg
    Razer

    Even the less aggressive cichlids gets extremely aggressive when breeding. I had a pair of kribs spawn in my 3ft community tank, within 3 days every single fish in that tank (which weren't part of the breeding pair) was dead. Brutaly executed by a male krib, intent on murder. Made me love kribs FOREVER!

    Also, take note that pleco's tend to eat eggs of spawning fish when given the chance.... otto's would be better, also keeps a lower profile which would be good for their own health, if you go the cichled route.

    Also depends on how heavily planted your tank is, the layout of the decorations etc..... The more hiding place and "barriers", the better your chance of giving a breeding pair efficient space without them feeling they need to defend profusely.

    I have no experience with gouramis......

    Good luck!

    PB
     
  6. Lowflyer

    Lowflyer

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Messages:
    293
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    East London
    Just remember that for a fish to breed in a community tank, there is a lot less space than in nature for the fry to hide away. So for the fry to survive the parents will have to be very aggressive to protect their fry. I don't recommend breeding in a community tank
     
  7. OP
    Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    Ah I see. So if breeding in a comm. tank is a no-go, what's the smallest that you can use if I only have 2 kribs and maybe 2 cleaners in there? I got another tanks which I think is like 70l.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - tank coming soon Forum Date
new 1.2m tank coming soon Planted Tanks Jan 21, 2010
Newbie confession: overstocked my first tank on LFS advice — is a R5,500 180L upgrade worth it? Beginner Discussions Jul 12, 2026
100L tank needed General Discussions Jun 15, 2026
Tank builders General Discussions Jan 26, 2026
Disease in a planted tank. Planted Tanks Dec 28, 2025
Tankmates for tiretrack eel? Species Tanks Dec 16, 2025
90cm x 60cm x 45cm opti white tank (10mm) General Equipment discussion Oct 26, 2025

Share This Page