New Tank Build!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Blade, Oct 25, 2016.

  1. roydenchurch

    roydenchurch

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2016
    Messages:
    40
    Likes Received:
    5
    Last update on build, starting new project this weekend after some maintenance to my tanks. Water ph measures 7.2. End view of my tank:

    [​IMG]

    Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
     
    Rainstorm likes this.
  2. Guest




  3. Titanreaper

    Titanreaper

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2012
    Messages:
    32
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    KOSH area in the North West Province
    Looks great!
     
  4. OP
    Blade

    Blade

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2016
    Messages:
    313
    Likes Received:
    148
    Location:
    Port Elizabeth
    Hi All

    Tank was running well, but noticed problem with the Devil Glue which formed the cornering, this was coming apart from the glass with no effort at all. I decided to empty my tank and reseal all over again as I had sleepless nights about the tank popping. I opted to use Den Braven Aqua-Sil all round as the tensile strength is 2.6 times greater that that of Bostik Marine which was the base of my build. I can not find technical data on the Devil Glue to compare it to Den Braven. I mentioned to the missus from now on only Den Braven on all builds. I took the scrapping of the Devil Glue to my LFS where I bought it from and they are awaiting for the Sales Rep to advise if this was a bad batch, Its almost if its not curing after 2 weeks, has no bonding to the glass and breaks for no reason.

    I have also been repairing my 406L which initialized the building of my 556L, I am at the final stages of completion, new stand, new front panel(10mm all round) and finished off with Den Braven too. I have made a change to the filtration, adding a DIY overhead sump with a SOBO 3500L/H pump in the tank which I started building last night. I have also made a rectangle tube L arm which bolts to my stand which will support my lighting, I am going for the open look with no lid assembly to my tank and glass to cover the opening top of tank, 2 of my 3 big tanks are already running the open look. I will post pics of the progress.

    My aim with the 406L is to house Discus only, I have 4 coming this Friday, but these will be housed in my 3ft for now till the 406L is ready.

    Last count, we have now 7 tanks in our house and I have one final I am still going to build which will be 1,8m L x 0.95m W x 0.6m H. I have already drawn this out and all calculations are perfect.
     
    Rainstorm likes this.
  5. Arno

    Arno

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2016
    Messages:
    93
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Pretoria
    That is one good looking sump! really jealous!!
     
  6. MariaS

    MariaS Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2015
    Messages:
    8,740
    Likes Received:
    3,581
    Location:
    Klipriver, Midvaal
    Sorry to hear @Blade.... it was looking stunning.

    I see the giys that built Cesar's 3.3m tank also used Den Braven
    Ok.. we allowed it to stand for 7 weeks.. so far.. touch wood.. all ok.
     
  7. roydenchurch

    roydenchurch

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2016
    Messages:
    40
    Likes Received:
    5
    Well finally got the tank up and running tonight, missus aka @Puffergirl and I put many many hours getting this sorted out and patiently waited to cure. Now for filters to cycle and do their thing.

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk
     
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  8. roydenchurch

    roydenchurch

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2016
    Messages:
    40
    Likes Received:
    5
    We also got our 406L up and running with my DIY overhead sump filter system which runs flawlessly. Just last few odds and ends and all done, till the next!

    [​IMG]

    Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk
     
    Puffergirl likes this.
  9. OP
    Blade

    Blade

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2016
    Messages:
    313
    Likes Received:
    148
    Location:
    Port Elizabeth
    My DIY overhead sump filter in action:



    Regards
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Tank Build Forum Date
Tank builders General Discussions Jan 26, 2026
Tank builder in JHB General Equipment discussion Sep 4, 2025
Tank Builders in Durban General Equipment discussion Aug 5, 2024
Tried a Diy tank build and failed!!! Anything DIY related May 26, 2024
Starting again. I want to build a 8 foot tank. General Discussions Jan 25, 2024
Tank build-- advice needed Anything DIY related Jun 3, 2022
Tank builder General Discussions May 14, 2022

Share This Page