New Tank and Problems

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Milamber, Jun 5, 2011.

  1. Milamber

    Milamber

    Joined:
    May 30, 2011
    Messages:
    91
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Pretoria
    SO I got a 100L tank a few days ago with an assortment of Guppies, Platy's, Endlers, Mollies in it from the buyer; as well as some sort of cichlid and some other chichlid and albino chichlids. I'm not a fan of chichlids and I don't know the names of them as well (Still deciding what to do with them.)

    Anyway so I think form the stress they picked up whitespot. I see on a few of them a single white spot is visible. Is there anyway to remedy this situation before this gets out of hand, natural ways? Chemical medicine as the last option. I shut down my previous tank because of an infestation of whitespot and i overdosed on medicine killing all my fish at that time. I really don't want to lose interest in my hobby again because of this pesky illness.

    Yours in despair, please help!
     
  2. Guest




  3. Marco

    Marco Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    May 24, 2010
    Messages:
    2,015
    Likes Received:
    287
    Location:
    Waverley Pretoria
    Hi. White spot can be a pain and if this is in fact white spot, the fish you have do not have the 'endurance' to try with a natural remedy. If indeed white spot the guppy's and endlers ard not going to last long unless properly treated. You had a bad experience when you overdosed with meds, now dnt blame the tools, blame the handyman. Keep an eye on it and see if it truly is whitespot, in which case they will multiply. If so, I would treat with Metrozinadole. Post here in a day or so if the situation has worsened.

    You say that tank you got a couple of days ago? Was it cycled properly, otherwise white spot will be the least of your problems.

    Rgds

    Marco
     
  4. zeeman

    zeeman

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2011
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi,
    You do get medicine for that. i know it is a parasite what cause it. . I also had it some time ago.. you have to remove filters, clean the gravel, water changes, temperature must be higher and all those things. If you use the medicine right, you dont have to worry...

    You might think of having two tanks... Chillids dont like other fish so much... (when they bigger) they will fight the mollies and Guppies and WILL win.... Also remember to run your new tank for atleast a couple of days before adding fish.. bacteria have to build up in filters ect..

    Hope this helps abit...
     
  5. zeeman

    zeeman

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2011
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    I saw a post where a guy had similar problems
    Look under

    Forum -> Tropical Fish -> Diseases -> Ick (white spot)
     
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  6. OP
    Milamber

    Milamber

    Joined:
    May 30, 2011
    Messages:
    91
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Thanks for replying guys. Yes the tank is cycled, I picked it up from the guy and plugged it in at my house, same runnig filters and gravel etc. Basically just a 80% waterchange happened with lots of moving since I drove the rank to my house.

    Ill monitor the situaltion and see what happens, I am planning to give the cichlids away, I know they not compatible with the fish I want and currently have. Just don't want to give sick fish to someone you know?

    I think the stressed from the move of the tank from his house to my house and they caught some sort of disease. Sucks. But thanks for the help so far. I'm just hoping for the best...
     
  7. Vis

    Vis Gerhard

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Messages:
    6,130
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Rustenburg

    Hi just a few quick Q's

    Did the filters stay submerged during your travel?
    Did the temp stay relatively the same?
    Did the filters stand for more then 10min without circulation?
    Did you keep some of the water from the old to the new place and how much did it cool down?
    How did you transport the fish?

    Gerhard
     
  8. OP
    Milamber

    Milamber

    Joined:
    May 30, 2011
    Messages:
    91
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Yes - the filter stayed submerged
    Temp: I think they might have lost a few degrees in the bucket i put them to transport them
    Filters: Definitely stood for more than 10 mins without circulation (I assume that's one of the problems), it stood for around 45 mins
    Water: Yes I kept about 20 - 30% of the old water in the tank, and the gravel (half the tank was powered by and under gravel filter and the other half with a hang on back filter)
    I transported the fish in a 10liter bucket with a lid and the tank with the water in my boot, the filters stayed submerged in the water.

    I cant see any white spots this morning except on one guppy.
     
  9. OP
    Milamber

    Milamber

    Joined:
    May 30, 2011
    Messages:
    91
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Guppy is fine now, no more fish look infected. Yay, I think my paranoid imagination played a factor in this. But I will keep you updated. I bought some medicine just in case anyway. Will se... Again thanks for everyone's help.
     
  10. Frank

    Frank

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2010
    Messages:
    66
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Midrand
    @zeeman: First off without knowing what species of cichlid (not chillid or chichlid) is in the tank it is not totally correct to make any assumptions on the level of aggression as there are many different species of cichlids with a variety of temperaments. For example rams would likely not cause problems in that tank.
    Also with regards to water changes, gravel cleans and removing of filters I believe this depends very much on the specific situation and is not a general rule for whitespot treatment. If the water quality is poor (ie high waste levels which would be adding to the stress on the fish) then a small water changes should be done to rectify this problem (preferably with a gravel syphon as it is always the best way to perform a water change in my opinion)
    The only part of the filter that would need to be removed is any carbon filter media as the carbon would neutralise any medication being used to treat the infection.
    The point I would really like to convey to you is that no matter how much water you change or filters you remove or gravel you clean you are not going to be able to remove all the parasites from the tank so don't go crazy, just ensure that your water quality is maintained at the correct levels to give your fish a healthy environment in which to live and fight the whitespot or other diseases because with or without medication your fish have better chance of making it if they are in a healthy tank.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Tank Problems Forum Date
Planted tank filter problems Planted Tanks Jul 30, 2017
My first planted tank...problems... Planted Tanks Aug 1, 2012
My Tank Problems General Discussions Mar 24, 2012
New Tank and maybe possible problems? Beginner Discussions Jun 26, 2010
new tank=new problems=im the reason HELP General Discussions Feb 13, 2009
Newbie confession: overstocked my first tank on LFS advice — is a R5,500 180L upgrade worth it? Beginner Discussions Jul 12, 2026
100L tank needed General Discussions Jun 15, 2026

Share This Page