Neolamprologus leleupi interest?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Jay, Oct 22, 2013.

  1. Jay

    Jay

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2012
    Messages:
    471
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Boksburg Gauteng
    I've noticed that from six of the leleupi's sold to me by @Jack Stone, there are two solid pairs that have formed. These fish are kept with my frontosa and clown loaches at the moment.

    Now and again I see baby leleupi fry pop here and there but I don't have time it take them out nor do I have space for their own tanks. But depending on the interest in these guys this can change

    if people would be interested in the fry I don't mind making it a side job and earn a little more money to put back into my fish.

    these guys aren't like what I've seen in the pet shops, more an orange variant.

    Looking forward to see if there is interest in these beauty's

    regards
    jason
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  2. Guest




  3. thysie

    thysie

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2009
    Messages:
    611
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    BOKSBURG
    i be interested
     
  4. OP
    Jay

    Jay

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2012
    Messages:
    471
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Boksburg Gauteng
    Okay great, also for those else where I'd obviously ship
     
  5. Jack Stone

    Jack Stone Stone Aquaics

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2011
    Messages:
    926
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Howzit! @Jay

    Good to hear you've got some decent breeding going on, must be cool to watch two pairs in a tank!
    Any chance of some video?

    There is certainly no shortage of people breeding Leleupi, I have about 100 fry from the same parents in grow-out at the moment, all from a single batch and there were quite a few left in the parents tank.
    Definitely don't set yourself up to raise every batch (unless that's just an excuse to expand the tank collection!) but a little 120cm x 45cm to some fry here and there will be very cool to watch, really exciting when they start getting their color.

    Raising fry is very rewarding! Come to think of it you could test your cichlid keeping skills by trying to provide the Leleupi adults, fry and juveniles with enough suitable cover to allow them to establish a colony in such close proximity to one of the lakes major predators... and some clown loaches....


    @thysie - give us a shout, Leleupi in grow-out, enough size on them to fly already, just depends on tank-mates that side.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  6. OP
    Jay

    Jay

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2012
    Messages:
    471
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Boksburg Gauteng
    Haha maybe I'll then let @Jack Stone keep the leleupi trade going.

    These guys I have must be almost fully grown now. The two pairs are on completely opposite sides. And don't seem to wonder much haha.

    I've got crazy amounts of rock hiding area where the leleupi's have made interesting nests. And allow their fry in and out as they please. I'm not too sure how to upload quality videos to be honest.

    surprisingly the fronts (even the small frontosa) have no interest in the baby leleupi. The fronts Probably don't think the leleupi big enough to expend the energy trying to chase them. The fronts seem rather lazy haha

    @thysie, thanks for the interest, but I'll leave the breeding up to the more experienced
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  7. Jack Stone

    Jack Stone Stone Aquaics

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2011
    Messages:
    926
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Heheh, ja, scary thing is they're producing a batch almost monthly.
    Fully grown, hahah, you should see their father! Monster yellow fish! @Naathir - back me up here (used to be his fish)?

    What happens to the fry eventually or are you yet to find out?

    Hahah, yip! Fronts don't like to chase their food, they'd much rather it just sits still and goes down the right hole.
    They are not exactly built for the chase, most cichlids aware of their presence are just far too nimble for them to catch, that's why they hunt early in the morning when the open water fish sleep, in the open.
     
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  8. OP
    Jay

    Jay

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2012
    Messages:
    471
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Boksburg Gauteng
    I'm pretty sure the clown loaches find their way into the nests before they hatch. These guys are sneaky little buggers.

    right now I only see a few now and again. They must be getting eaten at night or early morning, but these few seem to have been doing well, best yet.

    haha my fronts are easily bordering 21cm , and the leleupi are yet to cause any trouble with them haha, very interesting. Seems like they are the only fish that intimidate the leleupi. I'd first get rid of my clowns before these leleupi. They are far more interesting IMO
     
  9. adesh8028

    adesh8028

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2012
    Messages:
    90
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Pretoria
    I personally wont opt for loaches in tang setup, they are odd fishes out. Lets see what the results are after keeping them out. All the best!!!
     
  10. OP
    Jay

    Jay

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2012
    Messages:
    471
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Boksburg Gauteng
    @adesh8028 , I originally wanted to convert to tangs only in the tank, I had a pair of black calves, leleupi and frontosa but I fell in love with my loaches and had no where else to house them . I agree with you, I was just a bit hard up for space.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  11. Naathir

    Naathir

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2012
    Messages:
    85
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Cape Town
    @Jack Stone sorry for the late reply but yes i must say that pair that i gave jack is really awesome, one of the mot impressive looking i have had, the male is a monster, with awesome colour
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  12. Jack Stone

    Jack Stone Stone Aquaics

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2011
    Messages:
    926
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Cape Town
    @Jay - another vote for removing the clowns!
    They just don't belong in a Tang. tank and I'm sure you're correct about them raiding the Leleupi nests at night.
    Far more fun to watch Leleupi raise their fry that watching some odd looking catfish cruise around all day, but that's just an opinion of course.

    @Naathir - Howzit china! How are the imports doing there?
    That male does have the most amazing colors, I tried a Fish of the Month post with him but my photography skills and equipment don't do him justice.
    Give me a call when you're available, have a few fish for you.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  13. Naathir

    Naathir

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2012
    Messages:
    85
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Cape Town
    @Jackstone they doing awesome the leptosoma have settled in completely and I just cannot stop watching the compressiceps so my wife list has grown even bigger with goldheads and some more leptosoma wanted.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Neolamprologus leleupi interest Forum Date
Wanted: Neolamprologus multifasciatus Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jun 10, 2026
Neolamprologus Multifaciatus (Shell dweller) breeding tank Breeding Jan 27, 2024
Neolamprologus brevis breeding again Species Tanks Dec 29, 2020
Where can I get Multies aka Shell Dwellers in KZN ? ( Neolamprologus multifasciatus) Beginner Discussions Oct 12, 2020
Neolamprologus transvestitus. Species Tanks Oct 13, 2019
Wanted: Neolamprologus Multifasciatus or other shell dwellers Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jul 16, 2019
Shellies - Neolamprologus brevis Cichlids Mar 10, 2019

Share This Page