Need Help with new Planted Tank - Parasites

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Phinix, Mar 9, 2012.

  1. Phinix

    Phinix

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2011
    Messages:
    161
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Noordhoek
    Hi all,
    So for the past few weeks I’ve set up and maintained a planted tank 128L. It’s my dream tank coming to life, lush vegetation and lots of growth happening.
    And for now I have no Fish in it since I want everything to grow out until I’m happy with it. (Hence why I haven’t posted any pictures of it yet)

    I do dose heavily with plant chemicals, and it’s been going for approximately 3 weeks.
    However i did run into some algae problems, but by cutting back on my dosing for a few days seemed to kill it off, or at least reduce it.

    Yesterday I noticed little white things moving on the side of the glass, at first I thought they were just the co2 bubbles so I left it. This morning I turned on the tank and to my disgust all over the glass and swimming in the water were small - less than a mm - white dot things. The majority of them where these small white dots, others a bit bigger. One was a type of worm thing about 0.5mm thick and 4mm long going up the glass, and last but not least a huge mosquito lava -_-

    This is where I need your help, I can’t put any of my fish in the tank from my other tanks because they would eat all the plants.
    I do have mosquito fish in my pond but not sure if they will eat these small white spots?
    I have been looking into getting 2 Otto's since they small and from what I’ve read only eat algae and not plants, please correct me if I’m wrong.

    This tank is destined to be a breeding ground for some kind of guppy, haven’t really decided yet so anything I do put in mustn’t fight or eat tiny babies.

    But right now these parasites are my main issue, any advice or help is appreciated.

    *I did try to take photos of these small white dots and everything else, but the camera couldn’t focus on them.
     
  2. Guest




  3. Sean J

    Sean J

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Messages:
    3,835
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Randburg JHB
    Ok, they're not parasites. It's normal to get these things. Once you add fish, they will eat the bugs. The worm is probably a planarian. The bugs are probably copepods. Maybe even daphnia. It's a good thing, don't worry about them. Add some fish and they will slowly start disappearing.
     
  4. OP
    Phinix

    Phinix

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2011
    Messages:
    161
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Noordhoek
    Thanks for the reasuurance, glad to know they not a bad thing.

    And what are your views on getting Otto's? Do they eat plants like a Chinese algae eater or pleco would?
     
  5. Sean J

    Sean J

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Messages:
    3,835
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Randburg JHB
    Ottos are great fish. But if you don't have much algae then you need to feed them. Baby marrow or cucumber works a treat.
     
  6. DigiGram

    DigiGram

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2012
    Messages:
    206
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Parys, FS
    To add to Sean's message, Otto's don't always take flake food or even algae wafers at first, so baby marrow or cucumber is a must when the algae is getting low. Most fish will eat tiny fry, even guppies/endlers and the like.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Need Help Planted Forum Date
My First Planted Tank - Help and Advice Needed Beginner Discussions Nov 30, 2016
Need help with with first diy planted tank Anything DIY related Mar 16, 2014
Need help on massive cichlid planted project. Planted Tanks Jan 13, 2014
Need help on 15 Gallon planted tank Aquatic plants Jul 16, 2012
Need help with planning a planted tank Planted Tanks Jul 6, 2012
Tank convert to Planted. Need idea's and help. Community Tanks Sep 11, 2011
help needed with a problem in my planted tank Diseases Aug 23, 2011

Share This Page