My tank sprung a leak

Discussion in 'General Equipment discussion' started by TheGrissom, Jun 15, 2012.

  1. TheGrissom

    TheGrissom

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2012
    Messages:
    2,266
    Likes Received:
    1,588
    Location:
    Gqeberha
    So my 4ft tank has a leak in the front left corner. Fortunately its a new (2nd hand) tank. No fish in it yet. It didnt leak during the leak test, then I moved it onto its cabinet and put water in it. It had water in for a week. This morning I noticed it was dripping and there was a little water on the floor. So I was bailing water at 6am. I think this weekend I will remove the substrate and return it to the LFS that I bought it from and ask them to reseal it. I dont think they sealed it the first time. As far as I know they bought it off someone, tested it for leaks and then resold it as is.
     
  2. Guest




  3. azurekoi

    azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,077
    Likes Received:
    61
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Just be glad you caught it before you had 240 litres + on your carpet....he,he
     
  4. DewaldC

    DewaldC Magikarp

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2012
    Messages:
    1,867
    Likes Received:
    28
    Location:
    Roodepoort
    Best of luck with the LFS :mad:.
     
  5. shan

    shan

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2010
    Messages:
    248
    Likes Received:
    27
    Location:
    Centurion
    eish - same thing happened to my JBJ 24g nano cube. Water tested and everything and then 2 weeks later, a leak. Then i sealed, water tested for 1 week, brought it into the house and in the next week a leak. So finally stripped everything very well and sealed everything. It is now sitting outside water testing for the past 3 weeks - no leaks thus far.

    just maken sure they strip everything and go a good job at sealing
     
  6. Noodle

    Noodle

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2010
    Messages:
    224
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Be sure it really IS a leak, and not just condensation dripping off the hood and running down the outside corner of the tank! - Speaking from experience here. :redface:
     
  7. EnvironmentalBro

    EnvironmentalBro

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2012
    Messages:
    859
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Sandton, Johannesburg, South Africa
    My 600l burst half way down at the 3 AM in the morning... Always let the silicone dry properly :)
     
  8. Khalid

    Khalid Loricariidae

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2009
    Messages:
    1,515
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Lenasia
    yep happen to me as well, especially now in winter
     
  9. OP
    TheGrissom

    TheGrissom

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2012
    Messages:
    2,266
    Likes Received:
    1,588
    Location:
    Gqeberha
    It isnt condensation. My heater isnt running yet. It just had the water in. The hood is bone dry. Once most of the water was out the leak stopped. I think the water pressure was causing a slight bend in the glass causing the tiny leak. Its just frustrating that this is going to set me back a few weeks.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - tank sprung leak Forum Date
Newbie confession: overstocked my first tank on LFS advice — is a R5,500 180L upgrade worth it? Beginner Discussions Jul 12, 2026
100L tank needed General Discussions Jun 15, 2026
Tank builders General Discussions Jan 26, 2026
Disease in a planted tank. Planted Tanks Dec 28, 2025
Tankmates for tiretrack eel? Species Tanks Dec 16, 2025
90cm x 60cm x 45cm opti white tank (10mm) General Equipment discussion Oct 26, 2025
Thinking of starting first malawi tank Cichlids Oct 24, 2025

Share This Page