My Fishroom Make-over

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Cheetah, Jun 19, 2014.

  1. Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    When I moved house... I found this shed (or whatever it was used for by the previous owner) in the corner of the garden and... as it turned out... my stands and tanks just happened to fit precisely into it... it was already electrically wired... so it was ideal except that it was not insulated and a heater in every tank was essential to maintain a reasonable water temperature.... (esp. in the Northern Cape winters where I got spoilt by the Limpopo winters where no heating was required).......

    Right..... so... I got rid of most of the fish and temporarily cramped the rest into 5 outside ponds with 4,000w heaters in each at astronomical power bills, whilst the fishroom upgrading to central heating is in progress.... I should be ready to move in during the next 2 weeks....

    Before photo from the door angle....

    [​IMG]

    After photo from the door angle

    [​IMG]

    Before Photo towards the door angle:

    [​IMG]

    After Photo... Towards the door...

    [​IMG]
     
  2. Guest




  3. WeirdSteam

    WeirdSteam Corydoras Freak!

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2014
    Messages:
    543
    Likes Received:
    49
    Location:
    De Kuilen, Cape Town
    Wow nice Cleanup, cant wait to see the tanks in There, i am doing something similar with our outside room.
     
  4. SterlingAce

    SterlingAce

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2013
    Messages:
    765
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Well done! Will be following this one
     
  5. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    Good luck with the project!
     
  6. Caudelia

    Caudelia

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2013
    Messages:
    789
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    durban
    cant wait to see it set up n running
     
  7. francoisve

    francoisve Killinut

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,237
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    Milnerton, Cape Town
    Looking good @Cheetah !! Have you got water supply in it? Did you insulate the ceiling?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  8. Broder

    Broder

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,020
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    East London
    Haha... "The Den". Very nice transformation.
     
  9. sub-lime

    sub-lime Somethings Fishy...

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2013
    Messages:
    813
    Likes Received:
    50
    Location:
    Roodekrans
    You missed a spot... :)
     
  10. OP
    Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    Heating will be by wall mounted panel heater with temp control.... I have double layer insulation in the ceiling.....

    I initially considered doing wall to wall carpeting, but... just in case a tank springs a leak... I have now opted to do Tiles on the floor instead... This may take a week or so longer before I move in, but... rather safe than sorry....

    So!!!... the next space to watch.... here is the before pic of the cement brick laid out floor...

    [​IMG]
     
  11. Nawaaz

    Nawaaz Tanganykman

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2009
    Messages:
    579
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Nice project. Will be following...
     
  12. eros111

    eros111

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2012
    Messages:
    1,012
    Likes Received:
    166
    Location:
    Midrand, Johannesburg
    @Cheetah - Just a thought - What about laying down lots of piping, cover with a thin screed, and connect pipes to solar heating, and then tile the floor. Your own 'underfloor' heating using solar power !!
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  13. OP
    Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    Just an update with the floor progress.... from more or less the same angle..... (Grouting and edging will start tomorrow)

    Before....

    [​IMG]

    Current....

    [​IMG]
     
  14. dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban
    Good luck. Looks like a fantastic project.
     
  15. Rob

    Rob

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2011
    Messages:
    113
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    White River,Mpumalanga
    Hi Cheetah

    Fantastic project...... you've definitely made me and maybe some others a bit jealous:tongue:.

    Wish I saw you're thread a bit earlier..... Pratley manufacture a product called Pratliperl it can be mixed with cement for the plastering of inner and outer brick walls, according to them the heat loss through the walls is reduced by up to 50%. It can also be used for screeding of floors which would even help more for insulating.

    Maybe you could still plaster the outer walls at some stage.

    Regards
    Rob
     
  16. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    Nice you using normal PVA on the walls and sealing or an insulating paint - either ceramic or fibre?
     
  17. GavinD

    GavinD

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2013
    Messages:
    346
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Sasolburg
    Looking like a really awesome project! Keep us posted as it goes and thanks for sharing.
     
  18. amandar

    amandar

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2013
    Messages:
    207
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Koffiefontein Free State
    Damm why cant I see the pics? :cry::cry:
     
  19. OP
    Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    OK!!!!... with the grouting etc completed inside the fishroom... I am now starting work on the stands... There are 4 of them.... here are some changes done to the first one... extra support welded on.. and repainted...

    Before...

    [​IMG]

    And... to where I got today....(not completed though)

    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  20. Nawaaz

    Nawaaz Tanganykman

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2009
    Messages:
    579
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Looking good. What are the dimensions of the stands?
     
  21. OP
    Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    Unfortunately... not all uniform... The stand you see above... fits 3 x standard 3ft tanks alongside on 3 levels.... (and... I had that one made in 1974).... this is the first refurbishment of it.... I will mention the dimensions of the rest... as and when they are refurbished.... the oldest one is from 1972... but... I'll get to it as I progress....
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Fishroom Forum Date
Best way to heat a fishroom General Discussions May 25, 2024
Tropical Fishroom Tour at Jungle Aquatics Jungle Aquatics Oct 24, 2023
Wanted: Fishroom Startup Wanted/Swop/Freebies Sep 11, 2018
Early Xmas... The start of a fishroom General Discussions Sep 5, 2018
Fishlips fishroom build Anything DIY related Sep 14, 2016
My Fishroom Members Systems Jul 12, 2015
My fishroom Members Systems Apr 17, 2015

Share This Page