My First Betta Breed

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by johanbosman, Jul 12, 2012.

  1. OP
    johanbosman

    johanbosman

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2011
    Messages:
    160
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Kilnerpark,Pretoria
    Just want to make sure.This is a female right?
    DSCF0038.jpg

    DSCF0038.jpg
     
  2. Guest




  3. HennieRoux

    HennieRoux

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2011
    Messages:
    2,431
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    JHB, Roodepoort
    Yes thats a female...can see the eggspot @ the bottom.
     
  4. OP
    johanbosman

    johanbosman

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2011
    Messages:
    160
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Kilnerpark,Pretoria
    thnx Hennie
    The reason why I'm asking is that she displays all the behavior characteristics of a male. Building bubble nests, nipping females......

    Maybe just in a bad mood........:D

     
  5. HennieRoux

    HennieRoux

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2011
    Messages:
    2,431
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    JHB, Roodepoort
    Ja some females seems to be more agressive then others, I once had a female, that build her own nest and tended half of the eggs. Allot of females do the flareing rather often, and likes to beat up males and females. Thats what I like about Bettas, they all seems to have personalities of theyre own like Angels and Discus.
     
  6. Charles

    Charles

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2011
    Messages:
    1,000
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Pretoria, Thaba Tshwane, 0187
    I agree with Hennie, some people came back to me and told me I sold them male's because they build nests and are very agressive. Back at the ranch they are female's. Like Hennie says they all have their own personalities and that makes them unique and an interesting species to keep. Female's build nests just as the male's do and some even tend to the eggs in the nest, though this is rare but not uncommon as Hennie has experienced this first hand.
     
  7. friedlandnam

    friedlandnam

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2011
    Messages:
    106
    Likes Received:
    5
    Location:
    Stellenbosch
    Very nice. Well done
     
  8. OP
    johanbosman

    johanbosman

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2011
    Messages:
    160
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Kilnerpark,Pretoria
    Ha ha ha I think I was one of those people....lol.Sorry for that Charles. Still learning all the ins and outs.I'v been reading up nonstop for the past 3 months and still learning every day. I think this female was one I got from you when I started.
     
  9. Charles

    Charles

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2011
    Messages:
    1,000
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Pretoria, Thaba Tshwane, 0187
    @johanbosman, no sweat. My comment was not aimed at you specifically but rather at random since it happens a lot. Sorry if you thaught it was aimed at you. Yes that was one of my female's and she looks like she's ready to blow...lol. With which male are you going to pair her up with?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  10. OP
    johanbosman

    johanbosman

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2011
    Messages:
    160
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Kilnerpark,Pretoria
    No problem @Charles. I have a nice black and green HM.What do you guys think? Will this make a nice pair? But I'm a bit scared that she will attack the male too much because she is very aggressive? Is there a way to calm her down a bit?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  11. Charles

    Charles

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2011
    Messages:
    1,000
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Pretoria, Thaba Tshwane, 0187
    @johanbosman, you'll get mystery babies, meaning colour will be all over the place, if I remember correctly she has Marble gene's as well so the fry will be interesting and you might get a couple of HM's if your lucky since her mom was a DT and her dad was an HM. Go for it, experiment a little and good luck. Only way to "tame" an agressive female is to put her with an agressive male. If at first you don't succeed, try and try again.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  12. OP
    johanbosman

    johanbosman

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2011
    Messages:
    160
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Kilnerpark,Pretoria
    thnx charles.Will give it a go and see what happens.Luckily both are already conditioned so I will try them later on in the week.
     
  13. OP
    johanbosman

    johanbosman

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2011
    Messages:
    160
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Kilnerpark,Pretoria
    Justhad a tank burst. One of my main tank decided to burst out at the bottom. Waterall over the place. Breeding program on hold for a few days.
     
  14. Bazil

    Bazil Bazil

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1,593
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Sasolburg
    @johanbosman. Ag no! Luckily you where there. Did you lose anything?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  15. OP
    johanbosman

    johanbosman

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2011
    Messages:
    160
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Kilnerpark,Pretoria
    That's the thing. I was at work 45km away. Luckily no losses.Already have a new base in. Waiting for silicon to dry so that I can test forleaks in 2 days time.
     
  16. Bazil

    Bazil Bazil

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1,593
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Sasolburg
    Good news. Very luck then. Good luck with the breeding.
     
  17. Skye01

    Skye01

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2011
    Messages:
    1,273
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Rynfield, Benoni. GP
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  18. OP
    johanbosman

    johanbosman

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2011
    Messages:
    160
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Kilnerpark,Pretoria
    @Skye01 They start showing vertical lines and their ovipositorshows more evidently than usual.

    imagesCAW4RDFR.jpg

    untitled.png

    Sorry @Charles & @HennieRoux for jumping the gun but I was already online and thought I could help.

    imagesCAW4RDFR.jpg

    untitled.png
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  19. Skye01

    Skye01

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2011
    Messages:
    1,273
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Rynfield, Benoni. GP
    @johanbosman, thanks for the answer. Does the abdomen also swell up a bit? None of my girls have shown the vertical banding but their tummies are quite big. It's all the time, not just after feeding.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  20. Wyvren

    Wyvren Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2011
    Messages:
    2,549
    Likes Received:
    21
    @Skye01 The only times I saw the banding was when my females saw the males often. If they didnt see them I just saw them swell up - so your girls could be eggy.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  21. Skye01

    Skye01

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2011
    Messages:
    1,273
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Rynfield, Benoni. GP
    @Wyvren, thanks for that I appreciate it. I think that my girls are eggy, like you said.

    @johanbosman, sorry again to "derail" your thread a bit.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Betta Breed Forum Date
Trying our hand at Betta breeding Breeding Nov 25, 2023
Wanted: Betta for breeding Wanted/Swop/Freebies Feb 10, 2023
Betta Breeding Breeding Jul 11, 2022
Fancy marble betta breeding Labyrinth Fish Jun 26, 2022
Looking for Betta breeder in PE General Discussions Jan 4, 2022
Betta Breeding Video Breeding Sep 9, 2021
Breeding Betta's Breeding Aug 4, 2020

Share This Page