My first ATFG Guppy Fry

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by len.weideman, May 2, 2012.

  1. Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    Very nice!
     
  2. Guest




  3. Irma

    Irma Guppymad

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2009
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Midrand, Jhb
    That explains a lot. I am also finding that the gestataion period is deifintely longer than in other guppies. I was actually getting a little worried but now I can relax. The fry are definitely larger and stronger and some of my youngsters are looking outstanding.
    I cannot wait for the new shipment!!!! My tanks are ready!! :)
     
  4. OP
    len.weideman

    len.weideman Planted tanks intrigue me

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2012
    Messages:
    421
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Hey Irma

    Out of your experience, how long is the gestation period approximately between fry drops? I want to stay prepared

    Greetings
     
  5. Irma

    Irma Guppymad

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2009
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Midrand, Jhb
    I have not nailed it down yet but it is at least 6 weeks - 2 months. I have had my guppies since January and only had one drop from each female. They are now looking huge so any day now. :)
     
  6. Laracroft

    Laracroft

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2011
    Messages:
    253
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Strubensvalley - Roodepoort
    Not to hi jack the thread
    @Irma, what strains are you waiting for, mine should be on the same shipment as yours?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  7. Irma

    Irma Guppymad

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2009
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Midrand, Jhb
    I am getting the White Tail Tuxedo and the Albino Red Lace Snakeskin.

    What are you getting?

    Len - what strains are you getting?
     
  8. Laracroft

    Laracroft

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2011
    Messages:
    253
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Strubensvalley - Roodepoort
    I have gone with the purple snakeskin and I am still waiting on Altum to let me know what others he is bringing in.
     
  9. OP
    len.weideman

    len.weideman Planted tanks intrigue me

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2012
    Messages:
    421
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    Cape Town
    You can hijack it anytime :) So what strain will be coming in for you?
    Mune coming in the same shipment as well
     
  10. Laracroft

    Laracroft

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2011
    Messages:
    253
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Strubensvalley - Roodepoort
    Purple snakeskin and is in your lucky packet:confused:
     
  11. OP
    len.weideman

    len.weideman Planted tanks intrigue me

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2012
    Messages:
    421
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Sorry @Irma and @Laracroft , bit slow today, didn't see you already answered :)
    I am getting the Brazilia Green HD , The Platinum Blue Mosaic and the RREA Full Red Moscows

    I am very excited
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  12. Irma

    Irma Guppymad

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2009
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Midrand, Jhb
    Nice choice - Altum will probably only know when he receives the guppies.
     
  13. Irma

    Irma Guppymad

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2009
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Midrand, Jhb
    Nice choices as well. I was also looking at the Brazilian Green but alas, not enough tanks. :)
     
  14. OP
    len.weideman

    len.weideman Planted tanks intrigue me

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2012
    Messages:
    421
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    Cape Town
    The nice thing about all of this is the fact that I know that we have some seriously good strains in South Africa. I struggled to find anything worthwile three months ago. Perhaps we must start an Imported Fancy Guppy group on here?
     
  15. Laracroft

    Laracroft

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2011
    Messages:
    253
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Strubensvalley - Roodepoort
    we will never have enough tanks:cry: will we? I am very anxious about these fish, I walk past my tank every day only to see an empty tank filled with water, but rather slow and make sure everything is well. My tank has been in it's cycle now for 4 weeks, I will do a small water change this weekend. Keep well all you guppy mad fish people:)
     
  16. Irma

    Irma Guppymad

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2009
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Midrand, Jhb
    They will be well worth the wait - believe me! I think there is already a guppy group that you can join?
    Yes, there are at last going to be some awesome strains available in the country. I just hope that people appreciate the capital outlay that we have had to invest in these fish.
     
  17. OP
    len.weideman

    len.weideman Planted tanks intrigue me

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2012
    Messages:
    421
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    Cape Town
    :p I saw the guppy group on here. I thought about imported guppies, seeing that we experience different gestation periods etc. Where we can share info on our gestation periods, growth rate of fry fertility ages etc. LOL
     
  18. OP
    len.weideman

    len.weideman Planted tanks intrigue me

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2012
    Messages:
    421
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    Cape Town
    So the fry is 17 days old today, and still going strong, they are about 12mm long already, but still not able to identify the sexes. That will most probably only come out in the next week or two.

    Mommy is still massive, and doing very well
     
  19. Irma

    Irma Guppymad

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2009
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Midrand, Jhb
    Excellent - cannot wait for our new strains!

    I had 2 Full Red females drop last week and decided to keep the fry - around 100 in total :)
     
  20. Laracroft

    Laracroft

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2011
    Messages:
    253
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Strubensvalley - Roodepoort
    Everyone going mad by dropping fry, I'm lagging behind here:cheesy:
     
  21. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    Its ok. They GUPPIES. You will catch up soon enough. Guppies make babies... All the time.

    Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - ATFG Guppy Forum Date
Wanted: ATfG full red guppy Wanted/Swop/Freebies Oct 4, 2012
Which strain of ATFG guppy should I go for? General Discussions Apr 4, 2012
finding ATFG guppies General Discussions Jan 1, 2016
looking for ATFG guppies General Discussions Dec 30, 2015
Wanted: ATFG Guppies Wanted/Swop/Freebies Nov 30, 2013
Atfg guppies Livebearers Oct 6, 2013
Breeding bettas, ATFG guppies and endlers Breeding Jul 24, 2013

Share This Page