My 60P Planted Tank

Discussion in 'Planted Tanks' started by Sean J, Jun 5, 2013.

  1. Sean J

    Sean J

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Messages:
    3,835
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Randburg JHB
    So, as most of you know, I am the ADA guy. I thought I would do an ADA inspired tank, just to see what all the fuss was about regarding the Aquasky LED and complete substrate system... Here are the results:

    I started the tank about 3 to 4 months ago. This was the kit:

    ADA 60P Cube Garden
    ADA Aquasky 602 LED Lighting
    Eheim 2213 Filter (too small actually Should have gone for the 2215)
    Cabinet built by Ivan
    Pressurized Co2 (2kg bottle)
    Dual Gauge Macro Aqua Regulator
    ADA Bubble Counter
    ADA Pollen Glass Diffuser
    Hydor Micro Flow Pump

    Substrate:
    ADA Powersand M
    ADA Bacter 100
    ADA Clear Super
    ADA Tourmaline BC

    Hardscape:
    ADA Ryouh Stone

    Plants: Initially it was ONLY Dwarf Hairgrass.

    This is the tank on cabinet and the light unit:
    [​IMG]

    Started Playing with hardscape:
    [​IMG]

    Final Layout Chosen:
    [​IMG]

    Then Planted with Hairgrass:
    [​IMG]

    Just before the hairgrass went weird:
    [​IMG]

    Then after a while, for some unknown reason, the hairgrass started dying back, which is when I got fed up with the tank, ripped it apart and replanted with the following:

    HC
    Staurogyne repens
    Rotala wallichii
    Rotala macrandra green
    Cryptocoryne Parva
    Cryptocoryne Pygmea
    Hydrocotyl tripartita
    Dwarf Hair Grass

    The results: Just after the replant, The scape stayed the same, more or less:
    [​IMG]

    A couple of weeks later:
    [​IMG]

    And this is what it looks like today:
    [​IMG]

    I removed the Rotala macrandra green and replaced it with Ludwigia brevipes.

    Thanks for watching!!

    Sean
     
  2. Guest




  3. FishLover

    FishLover

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2012
    Messages:
    881
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    Stunning. Saw the tank on APSA but never the L.brevipes. Looks great!!
     
  4. OP
    Sean J

    Sean J

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Messages:
    3,835
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Randburg JHB
    Thanks! I like the red contrast the L. brevipes gives... The wallichii has a nice coppery colour and the Ludwigia gets a deep purple, to red colour.
     
  5. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    Very nice .. must say the ADA LEDs really are doing the trick.
     
  6. Deem

    Deem

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2010
    Messages:
    285
    Likes Received:
    51
    Location:
    Durban
    Looks amazing!
     
  7. Wyvren

    Wyvren Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2011
    Messages:
    2,549
    Likes Received:
    21
    @Sean J, could you give a rough estimate on how much it costed to set up the tank (including the tank and lights price?)

    Just so I can start saving please :p


    Love the look and I am really impressed with the LED's.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  8. OP
    Sean J

    Sean J

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Messages:
    3,835
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Randburg JHB
    Hectic... Only saw your post now @Wyvren... It would be quite costly... It would probably be around R7000. I know it's a lot for a 60cm tank, but these are the results...

    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  9. Wyvren

    Wyvren Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2011
    Messages:
    2,549
    Likes Received:
    21
    @Sean J - hahahaha It might take me a while to save up that much, but one day I will have something like that - although I might have to go bigger.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  10. cknipe

    cknipe

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2013
    Messages:
    196
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Bothasig, Milnerton, Western Cape
    Absolutely stunning. Well done Sean.
     
  11. FishLover

    FishLover

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2012
    Messages:
    881
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    Stunning tank!
     
  12. OP
    Sean J

    Sean J

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Messages:
    3,835
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Randburg JHB
    LOL! Yeah, I know it's not cheap, but you can get these results with very little effort.

    Thank you all for the kind words.
     
  13. OP
    Sean J

    Sean J

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Messages:
    3,835
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Randburg JHB
    It's been a while since I updated this thread... Here's a pic from tonight.

    [​IMG]
     
  14. Skye01

    Skye01

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2011
    Messages:
    1,273
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Rynfield, Benoni. GP
    Hey Sean, why did you take out the ADA Soil? What is the blue "thing" under the one rock?

    Still looks stunning I must say...
     
  15. OP
    Sean J

    Sean J

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Messages:
    3,835
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Randburg JHB
    The blue thing is just riccia stone.

    I changed the scape to something a bit less maintenance heavy. The aquasoil is all behind the rocks. The front sand is ADA Colorado sand. I just wanted something a little different, so I changed it up.

    Thanks for the compliment.
     
  16. Devesh

    Devesh

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2012
    Messages:
    31
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    JHB[ ]
    Tank looks great.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Planted Tank Forum Date
Disease in a planted tank. Planted Tanks Dec 28, 2025
New 240L dirted/planted nano fish tank Members Systems Jan 14, 2025
[ADVICE WANTED] CO2 Planted Tank for Beginners? Planted Tanks Dec 29, 2024
Wanted: Planted Fish Tank Required Wanted/Swop/Freebies Sep 11, 2024
Planted tank advice Planted Tanks Nov 1, 2023
Freebie: Planted tank Wanted/Swop/Freebies Sep 6, 2023
Second Try at 2ft Planted Tank Planted Tanks May 8, 2023

Share This Page