My 100L Setup

Discussion in 'Members Systems' started by WaRn00b, Feb 17, 2014.

  1. WaRn00b

    WaRn00b

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2010
    Messages:
    393
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Hi all,

    Been a while since I posted here, I had my 50L little cube up and grew tired of it, so I upgraded quite some time ago, but I wasn't happy with my aquascape, so been playing around with a few ideas, I really like the natural riverbed look, it's still far from exactly what I want, but it's getting there... Plants need to settle and I will try get some more wood and smaller plants, etc.

    I'm also planning on upgrading the lighting system/cover and building a cabinet around the stand with nice dark stained wood to hide all the ugly stuff underneath as well as my QT.

    My list of inhabitants and plants:

    Some Java Fern, Amazon swords (I think) and some small Vallisneria at the back that needs to grow

    5 x Peppered Corys
    3 x Platys (2x male and 1x female - still looking for more females, but can't seem to find as the one male is very agro and harassed his fellow males to death)
    10x Harlequin Rasboras
    1x Dwarf Gourami (still contemplating getting him a female companion as he's quite dosile and friendly)

    Still looking for some German Blue rams (will check compatibility first) or possibly some serpae tetra or lemon tetra, etc, etc. but for now happy with what I have.

    So hope you like it thus far... like I said, still WIP. :)

    FTS:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Star of the tank, Mr. Gourami. :p
    [​IMG]
    Also added a white LED strip to the rear of the stand for "night light" that I sometimes leave on for a hour or so after my daylight cycle, looks quite nifty in real life and the effect is nice and subtle. :)
    [​IMG]
    Cheers.
     
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  2. Guest




  3. Swagasaurus

    Swagasaurus

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2013
    Messages:
    1,707
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Centurion
    I really dig your layout!
     
  4. HeinrichLourens

    HeinrichLourens Tiger Barb

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2014
    Messages:
    351
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Secunda
    Very very nice! I'll keep an eye on your tank!
     
  5. sub-lime

    sub-lime Somethings Fishy...

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2013
    Messages:
    813
    Likes Received:
    50
    Location:
    Roodekrans
    Looks great bud. The java ferns should be tied to wood and not planted as they are rhizome plants.
     
  6. OP
    WaRn00b

    WaRn00b

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2010
    Messages:
    393
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Noob mistake. :(

    Will replant/attach it to the wood tomorrow after work, a bit late now. :(
     
  7. OP
    WaRn00b

    WaRn00b

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2010
    Messages:
    393
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Hi all...

    Been a while... did some MAJOR maintenance on the tank yesterday, removed all rocks, wood and most of the plants for a semi rescape and proper cleaning...

    The Vallisneria was spreading all over the place, so I planted the nice long ones in the back in a row, etc... they all just need to grow in nicely now to for a sort of wavey backdrop. :p

    Anyhow, some pics, please excuse the quality, snapped them with the phone quickly:

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Some little plattys.. :D

    [​IMG]
     
  8. Sean_83

    Sean_83

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2014
    Messages:
    222
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Durban
    looking good :top:
     
  9. SterlingAce

    SterlingAce

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2013
    Messages:
    765
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Very nice
     
  10. Caudelia

    Caudelia

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2013
    Messages:
    789
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    durban
    nice rocks
     
  11. OP
    WaRn00b

    WaRn00b

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2010
    Messages:
    393
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Hi all,

    So finally got round to making a cover for the stand that functions as a cabinet.

    Came out quite nice - I still need to make a canopy as well.

    Apologies for the poor picture quality:

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  12. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Weird that your images did not show. Hope the above does.

    I like the stand wrap, next you will probably want to hide a canister and a CO2 bottle in it. I assume you have had to isolate your fish buckets form the rest of the household goods - man I am so glad I can run a pipe directly out the house into the garden and do not need to do the bucket brigade.

    Later Ferdie
     
  13. OP
    WaRn00b

    WaRn00b

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2010
    Messages:
    393
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Hi all, small update.

    Ran into stroke of bad luck, my gourami got sick and died, had a fungal infection and also lost some other fish, but tank is doing well again, got 12 red eye tetra and some nice new plants.

    I also made a very basic canopy for the tank and stained it the same colour as the stand, and added some blue LED strips to the canopy for night time to create some ambiance.

    I'll try and snap some better pics once I get time, but for now this is what I have:

    Better pic of the cover:

    IMG-20140920-WA0015.jpg

    Pic of the Blue Lighting - it's much less bright in real life, they have a much more subtle effect:

    IMG-20141107-WA0013.jpg

    IMG-20140920-WA0015.jpg

    IMG-20141107-WA0013.jpg
     
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  14. aqua dude

    aqua dude

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2014
    Messages:
    517
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    South Africa
    looking good buddy,loooove the canopy
    the blue lights look cool as well
    sorry 4 the losses,very sad every time it happened 2 me
     
  15. OP
    WaRn00b

    WaRn00b

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2010
    Messages:
    393
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Thanks for the kind words... it does indeed suck when losing fish. :(
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - 100L Setup Forum Date
new setup 250L and 100L tank Full tank shots Apr 22, 2013
100L tank needed General Discussions Jun 15, 2026
Swop: 100L Tempered Glass aquariums to swop for Aquarium equipment. Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jun 14, 2022
Starting over: 100l tank from scratch. Planted Tanks May 31, 2020
100L with DIY CO2 Planted Tanks Sep 20, 2019
Small big tank - 1100L Anything DIY related Jan 15, 2019
My mixed species tank (100l) Community Tanks Dec 25, 2018

Share This Page