Moving

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by wade, May 11, 2013.

  1. wade

    wade

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2010
    Messages:
    171
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    Guys and girls...

    I need some opinions...i am about to pack up and move from P.E to East London. I have a 1.6m tank with about 25 malawi's in them.

    What are suggestions for me to make the move as easy and painless for me and the fish?:D
     
  2. Guest




  3. DCWarHound

    DCWarHound

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2013
    Messages:
    1,059
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Pretoria,Sinoville
    This is prob not the correct way of doing it but i if i was going to move then i would buy another tank of similar size and set it up at the place i'm moving to,put some of my old tanks substrate and filter media in the new tank and then move all the fish over at once.After that i would do daily water and treat the tank regularly for about 2 weeks until it's cycles and can run on it's own.

    I've sees what happens to water when going over speedbumps and such.
     
  4. Slojo

    Slojo

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2009
    Messages:
    2,115
    Likes Received:
    24
    @wade...... Why the move to East London?
    Just Curious.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  5. woerman

    woerman

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2012
    Messages:
    377
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Pretoria - Wonderboom
    I suggest you sell the fish and start over once you are settled in that side
     
  6. Ryno

    Ryno Kenaal baber

    Joined:
    May 19, 2012
    Messages:
    4,022
    Likes Received:
    50
    Location:
    Pretoria
    yep agree with woerman.
     
  7. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    If possible, I agree with this.
    It is doable to move the fish, but I think it will be a complete nightmare.

    If you do move them this is the procedure I would follow:
    Catch the fish and bag them up individually. Try add extra air - from the airpump if possible.
    Then drain the tank. And also empty the substrate and bag up.
    Disconnect filter, heater and lights.
    I would drain the water from the filter, but make sure it stays damp - definately do not let it dry out.
    Then load everythng up on the van. Take extra care not to bump the tank.
    At your new place, site the tank, put in the substrate, and fill with water which you have treated with conditioner. Plug in the heater, maybe get a 2nd one to speed up the process.
    Switch on the filter
    When it approaches the desired temp, slowly introduce the fish again.
    The above will work if the whole process takes a few hours. Anything over say 12 - 18 hours and your filter will be seriously compromised.
    As it is, it will be very strained and it's prob a good idea to go easy on the feeding for a week or so. And also do some small water changes to allow the filter to catch up to full strength again.
     
  8. OP
    wade

    wade

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2010
    Messages:
    171
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    Thanks for the responses guys...

    i was and still seriously contemplating selling all the fish and starting afresh, maybe even something different! Wife is actually the one who is not too willing to sell all the fish, she has grown attached to them!
     
  9. Biggles

    Biggles

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2013
    Messages:
    223
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Cape Town Parow
    I just did a major move but I had the luxury of the fish staying with the original owner for a couple of days so i could set up the tank. In hind site the tank was ready to go the following day but I gave it time to settle down.
    If you can leave the fish behind and set up the tank, go for it.
    Things that could make it easier. Have enough water pre-conditioned at the new location (water will be different to PE). Substrate was mostly still wet when I unpacked it. Filter material was also mostly wet.

    Maybe a pet shop will accommodate your fish for a few days...
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Moving Forum Date
Need help with removing scratches General Discussions Jul 7, 2021
Tank Moving Services in Pretoria Planted Tanks Apr 13, 2021
Advise needed on moving a big tank Advanced Topics Sep 6, 2020
Ich question on removing carbon Diseases Jul 27, 2020
Moving media to new filter. Filtration Jul 11, 2020
Removing an internal sump Filtration May 14, 2020
RSS Feed Caring For and Removing Bubble Algae RSS Feeds Feb 19, 2020

Share This Page