Moral dilemma - what to do

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by halfway, Jan 31, 2015.

  1. halfway

    halfway

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2011
    Messages:
    105
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Alberton, Gauteng
    So I have been in this hobby for a few years and enjoy my fish. My favourite fish is the African Jewel Cichlid and maybe 18 months ago I took a photo of one in my tank and entered it into the FOTM competition. A very diplomatic moderator then informed me that the fish was on the black list and although the photo and quality of the fish met the minimum entry standards, he was sure that some forum members would object to the entry. I was shocked that I had an "illegal" fish in my tank as this had been purchased from a very reputable LFS. This led me to study up on what was kosher and what was not, and believe me there are a lot of fish on that list that are offered on a daily basis by various LFS's.I have noticed with amusement on occasion that incorrect names are allocated to the "illegals" and this shows me that the owners are well aware that what they are selling is illegal.

    Yesterday I visited a LFS to stock up on fish supplies, and as is my wont, I wondered through the store to see what was on offer. I came across a tank full of African Jewels - there were at least 20 of these about 4 to 5cm long. The fish were being sold as " Jewels " @ R79-95 each. As I have a long standing cordial relationship with the owner, I started asking questions about the selling of illegal fish. His reply surprised me. He knew the fish were on the black list but said that the fish were all supplied captive bred and therefore he did not have a problem with them. He also said that in 20 years of owning his store, HE HAD NEVER HAD A VISIT FROM ANY OFFICIAL CHECKING THE STORE STOCK. What he did say is when fish were imported, there would often be seizures of stock that were deemed illegal for whatever reason. This got me thinking that there is clearly a move to attempt to stop fish being taken out of their native countries ( either wild or captive bred ) but if a "foreign origin" fish is bred by local breeders, then some serious gaps are occuring.

    My moral dilemma is this - should this be reported to authorities and/or should fishkeepers like myself turn a blind eye to these blacklisted fish if they have not been sourced from their country of origin?
     
  2. Guest




  3. Vis

    Vis Gerhard

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Messages:
    6,130
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    I won't keep something illegal myself but have often seen people getting warned not to discuss keeping blacklisted species a DAF or some organization monitors the site. Yet there are 100's of LPS's selling illegal stuff but don't see a official in 20 years. The law means pretty much nothing as it does not get inforced.
     
  4. Just4me

    Just4me

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2014
    Messages:
    388
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    JHB South (Kenilworth)
    While I understand the reason behind blacklisting a species I have a problem in that not knowing the list I have to rely on the lfs to not sell species off this list. Not being knowledgeable, but learning, I rely heavily on the lfs advice. This is also the reason I have a community tank which contains common species. Take plecos for example I am aware that they are on the blacklist because of this forum, what confuses me though is that during the discussions there is a blanket statement that they are on the list then there is a statement that only the common plec is. I tried looking at the list and as the species are listed by there scientific name it doesn't help much as in the shop they use the common name most times. Having a hard enough time remembering the common name the scientific name is another story.
    I know there are members that are vastly more informed than me and we rely on them for advice on this and many topics. Unfortunately it is the mighty buck that controls it and not a list that is not enforced. There are even fish keepers that will keep them purely because they are blacklisted and therefore a thrill.
     
  5. Jwh

    Jwh

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2014
    Messages:
    1,737
    Likes Received:
    97
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Hmmmm...tough one, knowing your jewel to be blacklisted, thus "illegal", did you remove/ euthanase them?
     
  6. OP
    halfway

    halfway

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2011
    Messages:
    105
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Alberton, Gauteng
    No. I am attached to my fish. I will take my chances on being raided :cheesy:
     
  7. Vis

    Vis Gerhard

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Messages:
    6,130
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    Ja keep them till they die, just don't release of re sell them.
     
  8. Grant.fish

    Grant.fish

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2015
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    wartburg kwazulu natal
    hi there

    i was cleaning my tank the other day and i think my plecos spine stabbed my bala shark because he had a "stab" mark just behind his jaw and shortly afterwards he started going crazy in the tank so i pulled him out and put him into a "hospital" tank where he proceeded to swim upside down and on his side and then he just stopped swimming any ideas on exactly what happened
     
  9. TheEel

    TheEel

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2011
    Messages:
    186
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have seen jewel cichlids for sale in every LFS i have been to lately.
    Somehow i feel we've got bigger problems in this country than a few "blacklisted" fish.
    If anything,you should report your LFS for being overpriced!
     
  10. Just4me

    Just4me

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2014
    Messages:
    388
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    JHB South (Kenilworth)
    I agree with protecting local species and our environment but unfortunately I don't believe reporting them will have the desired effect. Daily the very people you wish to help with the problem are allowing foreign species enter through our ports because they do not check incoming cargo. There are not enough of them and we know that the reputation for honesty in government departments is not of any standard. At worse they will probably pay a bride and it will be business as usual. I you want change it seems that the only way you can get it is by violent protest which I DO NOT condone. We could all boycott any LFS that deals in blacklisted goods but from report we may have very few places left to go to.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Moral dilemma Forum Date
[HELP] Aquarium Glass Dilemma Anything DIY related Jun 2, 2017
Discus dilemma Discus Breeding Jul 18, 2014
stocking dilemma Beginner Discussions Jan 8, 2014
Algae dilemma. Brackish/Fresh Algae Jun 3, 2012
ethical dilemma of feeder fish General Discussions Jan 25, 2012
Guppy Dilemma General Discussions Dec 18, 2011
Gourami dilemma Diseases Sep 16, 2011

Share This Page