mangrove tank?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by FishLover, Nov 4, 2012.

  1. FishLover

    FishLover

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2012
    Messages:
    881
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    Hello! I am new to this forum and have been keeping fish for several years so i am not a newbie! I already have one 14 gallon tank running successfully (no deaths) and am buying a much bigger 60 gallon at the end of the year. I want to put a few mud-skippers in there and want to make the tank a mangrove, i have done research but dont know where to get mangrove "saplings". Can anyone give me a few suggestions?........
     
  2. Guest




  3. SalmonAfrica

    SalmonAfrica Batfish

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2008
    Messages:
    3,080
    Likes Received:
    471
    Location:
    Durban
    Hi there, and welcome to the forum :)

    It is all very possible to have a true mangrove tank with real mangrove trees, but I cannot recommend it, from experience.

    Mangrove trees are just that - trees. They can get huge! I am unsure if you are able to bonsai any of the mangrove species, but assuming you cannot, over time you will find that they simply cannot fit within the constraints of a typical tank. The last one I have remaining of my endeavours is now living outside, outgrowing the pot it is currently in, and standing at about 3 feet tall!

    Secondly comes the nutrient requirements. These are much larger and bulkier than your typical aquarium plant, requiring much more maintainence in the form of nutrients. When I kept mangroves on two occasions, both times I found that my fish population alone was not enough to supply the mangroves with enough nutrients, and a lot of supplements had to be added. On one occasion it was just with a pair of mudskippers, and the trees did very poorly without assistance.

    Not to discourage you from your ideas though - a quick google search finds several fishkeepers doing just as you want to! However, I ask you plan carefully for this long-term investment as incorporating a mangrove to a tank can be tricky and difficult.

    As for where to get one, you may have trouble. I found mine as seed pods washed up on the beach, but as far as I'm aware collecting of mangroves is frowned upon (or worse) in most areas. Ask your specialist garden centres if they know of anything, otherwise do some extensive reading around the net.

    Good luck,
     
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  4. OP
    FishLover

    FishLover

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2012
    Messages:
    881
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    thanks for your comment! I am not set on a mangrove.... but i would love to keep mudskippers. If you could tell me what fish can be kept with them and what their ideal setup would be, i would appreciate it.
     
  5. SalmonAfrica

    SalmonAfrica Batfish

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2008
    Messages:
    3,080
    Likes Received:
    471
    Location:
    Durban
    PS!

    I forgot to add the alternative, which is currently what I use now! Tree branches, or actual roots of trees, can be positioned effectively and made to look like very convincing mangrove roots. Even dried grape vine can serve this purpose.
     
  6. OP
    FishLover

    FishLover

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2012
    Messages:
    881
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    thanks for your help! what fish can i keep with them...... i hear you can keep archer fish but they are rare..... do you keep yours with other fish or do you know of any? :cool:
     
  7. SalmonAfrica

    SalmonAfrica Batfish

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2008
    Messages:
    3,080
    Likes Received:
    471
    Location:
    Durban
    As for tankmates, it entirely depends on how you set up the tank.

    For a long time I was tied to the idea of only keeping mudskippers in a shallow, beach-style tank, as this catered entirely for their needs and I felt that was best. However, in such a setup water volume is limited and therefore limits your choice in tankmates to (perhaps) a few small ones. I had a very small school of glassfish in such a tank for a short period of time, but eventually moved them out as it didn't quite feel right.

    Thesedays, and with experience, I see that mudskippers can live in typical, deeper tanks, and is the living place of my big male mudskipper now. The water in the tank is over a foot and a half deep, but I have plenty of protruding "mangrove roots" (the tree branches I mentioned above) for him to scramble up and down on. Due to his size (he is a near-fully grown male Periophthalmus barbarus, at almost 5 inches), he happily and confidently co-exists with some Monodactylus, and some archerfish, all of similar length. However, if you're going for the smaller Indian mudskipper (P. novemradiatus), then mollies, glassfish, gobies and chromides might fit the bill better.

    Regards,
     
  8. SalmonAfrica

    SalmonAfrica Batfish

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2008
    Messages:
    3,080
    Likes Received:
    471
    Location:
    Durban
    Archers aren't too rare, depending where you stay. If you ask the store owner of your LFS to get some, they should be available. Alternatively you could try out our sponsors on this website, who I have seen getting in archers every now and again.
     
  9. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    @FishLover,

    Hi and welcome to the Forum.

    Is there anywhere you can maybe get some synthetic wood/roots?
    (They are available in the UK) And it would be a lot simpler than trying to grow Mangroves. I agree with @SalmonAfrica. Don't think it would be too easy to achieve that long term.

    Re Archers. I think they probably need a deeper tank. Whereas with the Mudskippers, they prefers something shallower.
    Maybe some of the smaller Gobies would be ok under those conditions. If you can get them.
     
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - mangrove tank Forum Date
min size tank for a mangrove setup General Discussions Oct 3, 2012
Aquael Mangrove Root & Driftwood Pet Habitat Jun 19, 2015
Newbie confession: overstocked my first tank on LFS advice — is a R5,500 180L upgrade worth it? Beginner Discussions Jul 12, 2026
100L tank needed General Discussions Jun 15, 2026
Tank builders General Discussions Jan 26, 2026
Disease in a planted tank. Planted Tanks Dec 28, 2025
Tankmates for tiretrack eel? Species Tanks Dec 16, 2025

Share This Page