Malawi cichlids vs Rainbowfish vs ??

Discussion in 'Species Tanks' started by Broder, Mar 19, 2015.

  1. Broder

    Broder

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,020
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    East London
    I have a blank canvas 1,5m tank that I want to stock. It will not be planted, just some substrate, rocks and driftwood. I prefer a biotope type tank, even if the biotope area is fairly large.

    Any suggestions? I'd go for rainbowfish, but have never seen them for sale here(other than dwarf types).

    Im probably leaning towards African cichlids, but would really appreciate any suggestions, even if they're totally out of the box...
     
  2. Guest




  3. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    Maybe some Tangs?

    I had Malawis but got tired of the constant aggression.
    I beleive Tangs can be more chilled.
    @Jack Stone could advise.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  4. OP
    Broder

    Broder

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,020
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    East London
    I see he has some beautiful fish for sale too.... And he ships countrywide.
     
  5. lep2soma

    lep2soma

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2011
    Messages:
    749
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    jhb
    you won't go wrong with tangs!
     
  6. OP
    Broder

    Broder

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,020
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    East London
    Cool.. Thanks. I'll read up about them.
     
  7. Jack Stone

    Jack Stone Stone Aquaics

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2011
    Messages:
    926
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Howzit @Broder - give us a shout if you need any info!
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  8. zm1611

    zm1611

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2016
    Messages:
    27
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    @Reedfish. Same here the constant aggression from the mbuna wore me down eventually. Also it just feels like you're looking at the same fish with just a different colour morph after a couple of months.

    At the last stages in my malawi keeping, personally for me all the fish seemed to behave the same and I couldn't really discern behavioral differences across the species but that could be a fault in my observation skills as well.
     
  9. Pierré Schoonraad

    Pierré Schoonraad Rainbow Freak

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2012
    Messages:
    2,072
    Likes Received:
    700
    Location:
    Queenswood Pretoria
    I will always sugest Rainbows. Awesome peacefull community fish. Colors can be just as intense as the Malawis or Tangs, eg Kutubu, Boesimani, Red Tail, Red. Pet Stop gets some nice ones in quite often and they can also ship to you
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Malawi cichlids Rainbowfish Forum Date
Wanted: Malawi Cichlids Wanted/Swop/Freebies Oct 1, 2024
Malawi cichlids diet ( helped me understand them better so I thought it could help others too) Beginner Discussions Feb 13, 2022
Lake Malawi cichlids breeding "season" Breeding Feb 13, 2021
Swop: Adult malawi cichlids swop/sell Wanted/Swop/Freebies Sep 13, 2018
malawi cichlids Cichlids Jun 28, 2017
Lake Tanganyika & Lake Malawi cichlids landing at Stone Aquatics Stone Aquatics Nov 28, 2016
Tanganyika and Malawi cichlids in stock Stone Aquatics Nov 9, 2016

Share This Page